Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
His mistake tonight would've led to a goal if not for Pennington making a last ditch block with the goal gaping. Too weak on the ball in that instance and just got pushed over.

Think he has what it takes but I think he needs a bit more time to develop physically.

Seen the U23 team for tonight with Holgate in the starting XI. Hope the lad is able to fight his way back into the first team, but clearly the manager has seen some red flags that have kept him on the subs bench over the past month. Had a mare against Stoke, but, if you watch the move for Bournemouth's 3rd goal when he played, he allows Afobe to roll past him with the ball on the edge of the box, which was the initial mistake whereby Arter's goal followed. Maybe Koeman has seen those two incidents and thought, he's not quite ready for a regular first team place.

That may be a little factor, but not the main one. Koeman usually gives young players second chances. The bigger issue is that we don't play 3 at the back. First I think that is Holgates ideal position. I think it allows him to pass the ball, with ashley williams as a safety net. TBH, 3 at the back is I think the best play out of our CBs (and possibly Baines, who is slowing down and not pushing up the pitch as much in a 4).

However, it isn't the best formation for our midfield. And since Schneiderlin and Gueye are in the squad together he has stuck with a back 4 even though we had success with a 3.

Honestly, I don't rate this lad very highly, just hasn't convinced me at all. But now's the time where he really has to step up.

Come on Mase. Make this next game the "Mason Holgate derby" lad.

Honestly, I don't rate this lad very highly, just hasn't convinced me at all. But now's the time where he really has to step up.

People were slagging Koeman off for dropping him for Coleman at the start of the season. I prefer him at RB tbh too young to be a commanding CB

The only defender who has a derby named after him is Glen Keeley. So maybe not.

Probably the only positive thing to come out of all this is that it will give Mason Holgate the chance of a run at right back. I see him as a central defender eventually but he can get valuable experience at fullback, where he is less likely to have his rawness exposed. He is a good enough athlete to cope with this but we will definitely lose something going forward. Seamus is a massive threat down that right wing.

Let's hope he doesn't read this thread if he's looking for a confidence boost.

Holgate's not going to give you the goal threat that Coleman does but let's face it, no other full back in the country does. But he's probably defensively better and his distribution is excellent. Pretty certain he won't let us down at full back assuming he's now given a run for the rest of the season.

Have a bit of faith in the lad. At this stage in his career he's probably better suited to full back, or right side of a back 3, anyway.

Gutted for Seamus.

But, Holgate needs to step up now that he should be getting a solid run in the team. He's shown his ability earlier this year. Hoping for the best for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back