Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I applaud your enthusiasm, but noooooope.
Whether or not I'm right about Holgate being better at acual defending than Stones. One thing is for sure when we sold Stones we didn't miss him one bit, he was full of mistakes he did look tidy on the ball for a defender, but his defending (his acual job) he wasn't that good at all. Holgate can acually defend.

I thought you were on drugs with that post but thought i'd check...yeah it was Martina lol

They're both...defenders.

Was good defending whoever it was tbh, he did well in that moment at least.

It was a nailed on foul on Kenny anyway, should never have got that far.

Looks like a lot of us (myself included) have forgotten that he is a centre half. Isn't setting the world alight but at this stage, he needn't to. Been ace since playing in a 2.
He's got the making of a solid defender nothing more, but who wants more good defending CB's aren't easy to come by.

Whether or not I'm right about Holgate being better at acual defending than Stones. One thing is for sure when we sold Stones we didn't miss him one bit, he was full of mistakes he did look tidy on the ball for a defender, but his defending (his acual job) he wasn't that good at all. Holgate can acually defend.

We haven’t missed John Stones? Are you messing?

Funes Mori has become Beckenbauer our current centre halves have been that bad

TBH the defenders all did ok, Martina did struggle at times but did keep to his task and to be fair a top top LB would have struggled against Saleh today, he was on top top form.

We haven’t missed John Stones? Are you messing?

Funes Mori has become Beckenbauer our current centre halves have been that bad
IMO I never really rated Stones and was over the moon we got the price we did for him, like I've said he was tidy on the ball bring it out but he didn't half make a lot of errors doing so losing the ball and put the other defenders under pressure. He's still not very good at defending at City but they can usually score more than they concede so it doesn't matter there, anyway they are mainly on the offensive so defenders have a good rest playing for them. Stones playing in our team this year we would be in an even worse mess.

Stones may have started ok, but after a while We were terrible at defending with him in the team, he also made plenty of mistakes. But what masked it was When Martinez was in charge we scored a lot more. It was no surprise when stone acually left we didn't miss him one bit.

Stones turning crap at defending was RM fault IMO... he stopped our Tull backs going forward and turned all our defenders into garbage ... he really was terrible and we got shut of him tonlate im

Yeah me and my brother both shouted "push in the back" as they took the throw... of corse nothing was given .. salah fouled coco for his goal to IMO .

I didn't think he'd be an Allardyce type defender either. What I will say though is he will recieve an invaluable education from Sam.

What is an "Allardyce type defender"...

For me, it's the same as anywhere on the pitch, a player who helps to win football matches.

That's the thing I think we will learn with Allardyce...he plays for maximum points with a gameplan.

Massive contrast between styles and football teams he's had, but they all amount to him trying to win.

Bit test coming up now against Newcastle and Swansea....can Holgate cement his position.

What is an "Allardyce type defender"...

For me, it's the same as anywhere on the pitch, a player who helps to win football matches.

That's the thing I think we will learn with Allardyce...he plays for maximum points with a gameplan.

Massive contrast between styles and football teams he's had, but they all amount to him trying to win.

Bit test coming up now against Newcastle and Swansea....can Holgate cement his position.

A large grock that takes the ball and man every time I suspect.

IMO I never really rated Stones and was over the moon we got the price we did for him, like I've said he was tidy on the ball bring it out but he didn't half make a lot of errors doing so losing the ball and put the other defenders under pressure. He's still not very good at defending at City but they can usually score more than they concede so it doesn't matter there, anyway they are mainly on the offensive so defenders have a good rest playing for them. Stones playing in our team this year we would be in an even worse mess.
If you think defending is all about being a massive grock then yeah Stones is rubbish. If you appreciate that there's a bit more to it than that, he's clearly not. In my opinion, he's got everything you need to be a wonderful centre half, and all the City fans I've spoken to reckon he's been outstanding for them so it seems he's fulfilling his potential.

Holgate's done well recently, I'm not entirely sure he'll make it at the very top from what I've seen, but i'd love to be proved wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back