Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think defending is all about being a massive grock then yeah Stones is rubbish. If you appreciate that there's a bit more to it than that, he's clearly not. In my opinion, he's got everything you need to be a wonderful centre half, and all the City fans I've spoken to reckon he's been outstanding for them so it seems he's fulfilling his potential.

Holgate's done well recently, I'm not entirely sure he'll make it at the very top from what I've seen, but i'd love to be proved wrong.
You must have bee watching a different Stones to the one I watched when he was here, yes he had some good games and his style got admirers like Chelsea and City, but his style masked over he was only average at defending (which was his main job) and a lot of the time he couldn't do it very well. As for him now I must admit I have very little interest in watching any other teams other than Everton. Also as for him getting upset publicly because we blocked his move, that was the last straw for me I wanted him gone from that moment.

You must have bee watching a different Stones to the one I watched when he was here, yes he had some good games and his style got admirers like Chelsea and City, but his style masked over he was only average at defending (which was his main job) and a lot of the time he couldn't do it very well. As for him now I must admit I have very little interest in watching any other teams other than Everton. Also as for him getting upset publicly because we blocked his move, that was the last straw for me I wanted him gone from that moment.
But he was very young at that time. Stones was only 21 when he played his last game for us, and yet people wanted him to be the complete package. Holgate is 21 now, and people are raving because he's had 3 quite good games on the bounce. The expectation on Stones was huge, and I think people forgot just how young he was to be a team's first choice centre half.

In my opinion, his defensive inadequacies were hugely overplayed. He read the game well, timed his tackles well, and was good in the air. His problems were mainly caused by lack of experience and overconfidence (partly caused by his manager's instructions I think). He'll never be a muck and nettles centre half but neither is David Luiz, or Pique, or whoever. The key is to get partnerships which work, like the cultured Ferdinand and the battle hardened Vidic at United. Same thing with Holgate at the moment, he needs the right partner next to him so that he can focus on excelling at the things he's good at rather than being exposed for what he's not good at.

Three solid games on the trot. Seemed to go under the radar of the 'pundits' but was excellent yesterday. Needs to keep it up and ensure the occasional lapse in concentration doesn't re-appear.

But he was very young at that time. Stones was only 21 when he played his last game for us, and yet people wanted him to be the complete package. Holgate is 21 now, and people are raving because he's had 3 quite good games on the bounce. The expectation on Stones was huge, and I think people forgot just how young he was to be a team's first choice centre half.

In my opinion, his defensive inadequacies were hugely overplayed. He read the game well, timed his tackles well, and was good in the air. His problems were mainly caused by lack of experience and overconfidence (partly caused by his manager's instructions I think). He'll never be a muck and nettles centre half but neither is David Luiz, or Pique, or whoever. The key is to get partnerships which work, like the cultured Ferdinand and the battle hardened Vidic at United. Same thing with Holgate at the moment, he needs the right partner next to him so that he can focus on excelling at the things he's good at rather than being exposed for what he's not good at.
Well I beg to differ on his acual defensive capabilities, one thing I will say though he wasn't suited to us he was always a player suited to teams like City,Chelsea,Arsenal even Barcelona due to the fact that are on the offensive 80% of the time, which doesn't half make it easier for CB's, I don't think we ever really missed Stones.

I think some people get too wrapped up about individuals when it is a team game.
We have picked up some points because of how the team is now set up rather than some instant improvement in the form of players. Defenders are very dependent on those ahead of them doing their job properly or they can look very poor indeed and it can affect their confidence very quickly.
I think Ashley Williams is a very strong character and was able to deal with poor results and poor form better than a younger player like Michael Keane. I think in due course Michael Keane will come back into the side and will look like the player we thought we were signing.

As we become defensively more solid our defenders will look better players but our midfielders are giving up creativity and attacking play to help out the defence. In time the management will figure out how to marry both the defensive and attacking sides of our play.

Just to use our neighbours across the park as an example. They have certainly sorted out the attacking side of their game but unless they score three or four they look as if they can drop points in any game.

I'm glad he's getting a run of games, centre half is probably the position where game time and experience counts the most. I really want Keane to succeed and I would love them both to be able to play together at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back