MATCH THREAD - Everton V Stevenage - Cap One Cup 2nd Round - Weds 28th August @7:45PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair...imagine your Deulofeu...sat on the bench at home to WBA...its 0-0 and the manager shouts 'Naismith...get warmed up lid'

Youd be fuming yourself!

Naismith is just log

This cup competition represents one of the two best chances of silverware this season under a new manager with the same side from last season with new additons.

A chance for a few players to get on the scoresheet before the game at Cardiff.

It will be intresting to see what teams he puts out tonight but no one should be expecting any upsets given the quality we have in the club.

This cup competition represents one of the two best chances of silverware this season under a new manager with the same side from last season with new additons.

A chance for a few players to get on the scoresheet before the game at Cardiff.

It will be intresting to see what teams he puts out tonight but no one should be expecting any upsets given the quality we have in the club.

...this is Everton mate. It's ALWAYS to be expected against these teams.

Ticket sales for this are abysmal. Anyone who is umming and arring just get down and get a seat. There's more empty seats than there is full.

Still the same now, just had a look. Though we already have our tickets I think my daughter and I will have three-quarters of the Upper Glwadys to choose from. The RS have always had excellent attendances for League Cup games, Evertonians just don't have any longstanding affection for the competition at all, even if we want to win it badly.

4-2 tonight to us.

Good read that. I'll go for my usual optimisic match prediction, 4-0 us. Duelofeu brace and a goal each for Kone and Naismith. Yes thats right, Naismith!

...this is Everton mate. It's ALWAYS to be expected against these teams.

I am sure Bob won,t make the same mistakes as Moyes and send out a weak team. He knows that a lot of fans see the cup competitions as our best chance to get silverware given you only have to play half a dozen matches or so to win it.

How much is a ticket?

Deulofeu (sp?) looks like he thinks he is above us already. 2 games into the season and the 19yo loanee is spitting his dummy out about playing time~!

£15 I'm going to go tonight and cheer on the blues

I am sure Bob won,t make the same mistakes as Moyes and send out a weak team. He knows that a lot of fans see the cup competitions as our best chance to get silverware given you only have to play half a dozen matches or so to win it.

His words this morning can only be interpreted one way: he's going to use the squad. That's a mistake for me. Then again, if he's having to leave the door open for United to take Baines and Fellaini that decision is partially made for him. Besides those two though I'd like as strong a line up out as possible.

Take a look at the teams he picked for wigan in cup comps.

He'll make at least 8 changes, I reckon. And, frankly, he should. If our fringe players can't beat stevenage at home, then they're not any use and they should be sold.

Squad players are either useful or they're not and if they're not good enough to contribute vs a league 1 side then they're never going to be useful in the prem.

The problem with Moyes in the cups was never his team selection so much as whastever team he picked rolled over and didn't fight in cups games the way they did in the league.

Take a look at the teams he picked for wigan in cup comps.

He'll make at least 8 changes, I reckon. And, frankly, he should. If our fringe players can't beat stevenage at home, then they're not any use and they should be sold.

Squad players are either useful or they're not and if they're not good enough to contribute vs a league 1 side then they're never going to be useful in the prem.

The problem with Moyes in the cups was never his team selection so much as whastever team he picked rolled over and didn't fight in cups games the way they did in the league.

pi55 poor keepers getting beat from 25 yards by lower league dross didnt help

His words this morning can only be interpreted one way: he's going to use the squad. That's a mistake for me. Then again, if he's having to leave the door open for United to take Baines and Fellaini that decision is partially made for him. Besides those two though I'd like as strong a line up out as possible.

Not see his interview yet Dave but I would agree with you based on your thoughts. I remember Paul Merson ripped moyes to shreds when they went out in the carling cup becuase he played fringe players and tried to rescue the game when it was too late.

I just don,t understand why he would invite trouble by not playing your stongest team and then take them off after the job was done in the first 65 mins.

Not see his interview yet Dave but I would agree with you based on your thoughts. I remember Paul Merson ripped moyes to shreds when they went out in the carling cup becuase he played fringe players and tried to rescue the game when it was too late.

I just don,t understand why he would invite trouble by not playing your stongest team and then take them off after the job was done in the first 65 mins.

It depends on the situation and who plays

We walloped Orient last year at this round and that was with Naismith and Vic up front

Naismith got a hat rick I think

If he went with Kone and Naismith up front, with Robles in net and maybe Duffy in place of Jags with mostly everyone else the same, that's style a pretty strong squad

Swansea are proof that you can win this by treating every match seriously and capitalising on other clubs failing to do as such. Birmingham as well

If we enter the first team in every round, we'd have to be in contention in this tournament

Good post. I think you should always play your strongest team, it's a philosophy that managers used years ago and they were successful. Players should be able to play twice a week without it being a problem. If we were in the champions league we would have our strongest out on a Wednesday and then our strongest out on a Saturday in the league.

I would like to see players like Deulofeu, Oviedo, Stones, Heitinga, Hibbert, Kone playing tonight but we really should play our most strongest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back