Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

A club mate of mine is a recovering drug addict and alcoholic. Still a young man, late 20s, from a solid family background.

Straight A student and All-Ireland winner at the football. World at his feet then a tragic life event caused him to try drugs. Cocaine was his first love of his life he admits. Yeah there is family love and love of a girlfriend/boyfriend but this was his first real love (his words).

At his lowest ebb he ran away to Australia to try and prevent shame on his family. Within a few months and after a particularly heavy binge he talks of a higher power taking over and giving him the strength to tell his parents. They took him home and got him into rehab where he stayed for 20 weeks.

2 years on he is giving talks to other football clubs in the county about his life and how easy things will go wrong with drugs.

I listened into his talk tonight to a group of teenagers and he is just a naturally gifted orator. I feel a foot taller after just listening to the lad speak.

A club mate of mine is a recovering drug addict and alcoholic. Still a young man, late 20s, from a solid family background.

Straight A student and All-Ireland winner at the football. World at his feet then a tragic life event caused him to try drugs. Cocaine was his first love of his life he admits. Yeah there is family love and love of a girlfriend/boyfriend but this was his first real love (his words).

At his lowest ebb he ran away to Australia to try and prevent shame on his family. Within a few months and after a particularly heavy binge he talks of a higher power taking over and giving him the strength to tell his parents. They took him home and got him into rehab where he stayed for 20 weeks.

2 years on he is giving talks to other football clubs in the county about his life and how easy things will go wrong with drugs.

I listened into his talk tonight to a group of teenagers and he is just a naturally gifted orator. I feel a foot taller after just listening to the lad speak.
That's great that he is giving back! It's so important that teenagers hear these talks from a former drug addict that is closer to their age than a parent. Awesome work from that young man! :)

It’s inspiring to see and hear someone like that and I’m glad you felt moved but I’m more pleased a group of youngsters got to hear it .

I know a top class sportsman , a great within his sport who had issues , that were never publicised. I’ve heard him speak to and advise youngsters. This individual isn’t as inspirational as your mate but in his own way incredibly powerful.

Sorry about no posting but have had a bad several months. No cure, but changed medication has improved quality of life somewhat. Don't know how long to go, (haven't been told but don't want to know - take each day as it comes). Her indoors in same situation. Today's result was a great boost.

We are thinking about you in the Greatest XI thread imaginging what your shouts might be :cheers:

That's great that he is giving back! It's so important that teenagers hear these talks from a former drug addict that is closer to their age than a parent. Awesome work from that young man! :)
Exactly that. This lad achieved all their dreams by winning an All-Ireland and he is thereby a strong inspiration on that basis alone.

He spoke very well about how their sporting heroes all have problems that fans don’t know about but that everyone needs someone to talk to and be themselves. His reassurance of ‘It’s OK not to be OK’ applies to all ages but particularly to the audience of teens.

It’s inspiring to see and hear someone like that and I’m glad you felt moved but I’m more pleased a group of youngsters got to hear it .

I know a top class sportsman , a great within his sport who had issues , that were never publicised. I’ve heard him speak to and advise youngsters. This individual isn’t as inspirational as your mate but in his own way incredibly powerful.
I did feel moved by it Harry and still do on reflection this morning.

It takes a brave person to bare their soul like that and to do it with the intention of helping strangers is a selfless act.

We do meet some good people on our travels.

Morning guys. Early get up by my standards. All ablutions completed and case packed. Just about to make a bacon and egg barm for breakfast ready to be picked up at 9.30 to go to the airport. Last minute hitch in that my mate who was picking me up has been called into a meeting tomorrow afternoon, so I need to make my own way to Waterloo (not Southport) Trains seem pretty regular but I expect to be standing when I switch to the Liverpool train. It's going to be a real trains planes and automobile day. lol The wind's picked up again down here so that should make the take off interesting.

All being well Blue should have arrived back in Finland late last night so wouldn't be surprised to see a string of posts from him later on.

Have a great weekend guys.

Morning guys. Early get up by my standards. All ablutions completed and case packed. Just about to make a bacon and egg barm for breakfast ready to be picked up at 9.30 to go to the airport. Last minute hitch in that my mate who was picking me up has been called into a meeting tomorrow afternoon, so I need to make my own way to Waterloo (not Southport) Trains seem pretty regular but I expect to be standing when I switch to the Liverpool train. It's going to be a real trains planes and automobile day. lol The wind's picked up again down here so that should make the take off interesting.

All being well Blue should have arrived back in Finland late last night so wouldn't be surprised to see a string of posts from him later on.

Safe travelling Fred.

How long will it take you out of interest?

Sorry about no posting but have had a bad several months. No cure, but changed medication has improved quality of life somewhat. Don't know how long to go, (haven't been told but don't want to know - take each day as it comes). Her indoors in same situation. Today's result was a great boost.
Sorry to read this, but glad you're still around. Carpe deim as they say.

Safe journey and have a great time.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back