Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

An al-fresco pint at Warrington Rylands v Belper Town ( ok it’s lager I didn’t have a choice) hopefully a couple more at Prescot Cables v Bootle on Monday if the weather holds. Indoor pints at Old Trafford tomorrow followed by a few at the Fiveways when we get back. It’s a hard life watching football.
IMG_5392.webp

Hello folks, hope you are having a lovely Bank Holiday - and if you are working, hope it's not too bad. We're trying to decide if an Easter Monday trip to Redcar races is on the cards. It may be weather dependent and we do need to get out into the garden and do some work. I've just ordered a cordless strimmer - there's some serious nettles that need sorting out. I've also noticed a lady pheasant hanging round in the garden - really unusual. I just hope she hasn't decided to make her nest in our garden. That would put paid to any grass cutting/weeding and the cat would think all her Christmases had come at once - al you can eat pheasant chick buffet.

Tonight's tea is salmon and broccoli risotto.

I doubt a pheasant would nest in a domestic garden Anj. Well, assuming its not a few acres big. We had a regular male visitor for ages, Phil the Pheasant, but we had chickens and a natural pond back then, so could see the attraction for him.

Good 2 hours spent in the back giving the daisies their first mowing in 6 months and having a general tidy up. Think I've earned myself a quick beer in the sun before it goes down behind next doors roof.
View attachment 208209
IMG_9512.webp
The first of many, hopefully. I held my nerve and went for the sea bass for my lunch, so washing it down with this and some real ale.

Good 2 hours spent in the back giving the daisies their first mowing in 6 months and having a general tidy up. Think I've earned myself a quick beer in the sun before it goes down behind next doors roof.
View attachment 208209

Doing my front and back tomorrow. Tons of wild flowers have popped up over the last few weeks, so will avoid them, obvs, so when the grass is under control, it will look a picture. Hopefully some meadow flowers we planted 3 years ago will return as well.

Then, later into spring/summer, the bushes I planted in the front will provide a vivid and colourful display as well.

And to top it off, a large pot of poppies that I planted for Nikki are showing signs of life.

Simple pleasures.

Doing my front and back tomorrow. Tons of wild flowers have popped up over the last few weeks, so will avoid them, obvs, so when the grass is under control, it will look a picture. Hopefully some meadow flowers we planted 3 years ago will return as well.

Then, later into spring/summer, the bushes I planted in the front will provide a vivid and colourful display as well.

And to top it off, a large pot of poppies that I planted for Nikki are showing signs of life.

Simple pleasures.
TBH mate whilst I love the garden it's more for having barbies and sitting out having a drink in the sun. Cal was definitely the green fingered one in our relationship. All i do now is keep it reasonably tidy, although most of my time is spent managing the "wild flower" bed Cal planted a couple of years ago. Think she was sold a pup with that particular bag of seeds. ;)

I doubt a pheasant would nest in a domestic garden Anj. Well, assuming its not a few acres big. We had a regular male visitor for ages, Phil the Pheasant, but we had chickens and a natural pond back then, so could see the attraction for him.
We are completely surrounded by farmland at the back. There's nothing but fields between us and the A1 at least a mile or more away. And, to be honest our garden is very similar to the fields. Were not talking manicured lawns here.🤣 That's what made me think she might have picked it! . I have been out to look for any signs of a nest and fortunately nothing. I've seen a male in one of the fields behind us. I guess that's her mate.

Last edited:
TBH mate whilst I love the garden it's more for having barbies and sitting out having a drink in the sun. Cal was definitely the green fingered one in our relationship. All i do now is keep it reasonably tidy, although most of my time is spent managing the "wild flower" bed Cal planted a couple of years ago. Think she was sold a pup with that particular bag of seeds. ;)
We bought a couple of packs of “Seeds for bees” last year and scattered them in the front garden as a change from bedding plants. They were mainly what would be classed as weeds rather than the wildflower meadow I was expecting. The bees liked the flowers though - unfortunately our next door neighbour didn’t like the bees and was frightened to come out of her front door. lol

We bought a couple of packs of “Seeds for bees” last year and scattered them in the front garden as a change from bedding plants. They were mainly what would be classed as weeds rather than the wildflower meadow I was expecting. The bees liked the flowers though - unfortunately our next door neighbour didn’t like the bees and was frightened to come out of her front door. lol
Most of these have thorns on them. Think she bought them in Poundland 😀

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back