Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Davies

Votes: 136 33.1%
  • Calvert-Lewin

Votes: 93 22.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
only caught the second half, but oh well, two games, two wins and two clean sheets. I don't think we'll be too pretty but koeman is building us as a solid base for years to come and that is what wins you football games and trophies. Playing flahsy and leaving gaping holes doesn't get you anywhere. I just don't like this 5 at the back malarky.

It is what it is atm, our squad is pretty much a bunch of strangers who are still a few weeks off from full fitness. We've had a massive turnover, not just this summer, but the last 3 or 4 years constantly. But we've ground out two wings, better flowing football will come eventually, but we just need to get results for the time being whilst players familiarise themselves. We're still going to splash out around £80m on two more attackers so that'll come too.

We are stil 5 players top class players away from challenging the top 4 imo. Which will take another coupe of windows.

But I thought the young players all looked good today, apart from Sandro, still very early days for him.
Good times ahead.

5? if the RS can get 4th with only 4 good players we're no way 5 top class players off. Not every single position has to have great options and then backup options at the same level for us to be good enough for CL imo.

only caught the second half, but oh well, two games, two wins and two clean sheets. I don't think we'll be too pretty but koeman is building us as a solid base for years to come and that is what wins you football games and trophies. Playing flahsy and leaving gaping holes doesn't get you anywhere. I just don't like this 5 at the back malarky.

It is what it is atm, our squad is pretty much a bunch of strangers who are still a few weeks off from full fitness. We've had a massive turnover, not just this summer, but the last 3 or 4 years constantly. But we've ground out two wings, better flowing football will come eventually, but we just need to get results for the time being whilst players familiarise themselves. We're still going to splash out around £80m on two more attackers so that'll come too.
I've said for a while,that a back 5 will never work with jags & Williams. And baines hardly offers anything going forward now.

I've said for a while,that a back 5 will never work with jags & Williams. And baines hardly offers anything going forward now.

i just don't like it at all, i think we have such good options in the middle that we don't need to do it. silly that we have 3 right backs as backup to coleman and yet davies is shoehorned over there, but there we go. Agree on jags and williams together, it should always be either one for me.

5? if the RS can get 4th with only 4 good players we're no way 5 top class players off. Not every single position has to have great options and then backup options at the same level for us to be good enough for CL imo.
If we get sig another striker, and a quality CB(not a stop gap) we can definitely challenge for a top 4 place.

I was thinking more about long term and staying around the top 4 and challenging for trophies.

I don't know how (or have the inclination) to vault. However, I would be willing to bet that a lot of the people on here complaining about the way we played over these two legs were the same ones saying they'd prefer streaky 1-0 wins to what Martinez was serving up against the likes of Stoke and West Ham a couple of seasons ago.

Football fans hey.

We're through. Rejoice.

If we get sig another striker, and a quality CB(not a stop gap) we can definitely challenge for a top 4 place.

I was thinking more about long term and staying around the top 4 and challenging for trophies.

yeah i think we're there. I just look at their squad and it's utter meh. A few good attacking midfielders but their depth and quality eveywhere else is terrible given how much they've spent, then again, if we're on about consistent top 4 and challenging for trophies, that's not really going to be them. They're a bit yoyo because of that lack of depth.

We'll get those three players in and i'll be thrilled with this squad, despite losing arguably our 3 most gifted players.

people expected us to smash them. To be fair i expected the first leg to be exactly what it was but i thought tonight we'd be better. Given they needed to score i thought the game would be open and it would suit us but they didn't go for it which made it a very dull game. They weren't great but they were fit and organised and they made us work hard for it. We will get better and if we make the latter stages no one will remember two poor matches in July but given the money we've spent it's not unreasonable for folks to expect more.
Did you watch Utd last season?

I suppose it's ok if your ambition is to get 7th place. But if you have ambitions for 4th spot and to get past good teams to achieve that you have to throw everything at it.
I don't think that's our ambition though Dave and that's also where a lot of your arguments fall down. Under Moyes, yeah, under Martinez, first season then no, second and third then yeah. Now, no. Koeman (sorry, he who shall not be named. 'kin Voldermort) ain't here for the fun of it mate. This is a few games into pre-season. Much more difficult games than playing in the bloody Audi cup. Why? Cos they want to win. Tough game tonight but we did enough and we'll continue to do enough hopefully. Enough to maybe win the thing or finish fourth or win a cup. Be nice wouldn't it. Don't think for one minute those players don't want that mate. And yeah, before you ask, I'll settle for "enough". If it brings trophies this coming season. Then I expect improvement.

We are stil 5 players top class players away from challenging the top 4 imo. Which will take another coupe of windows.

But I thought the young players all looked good today, apart from Sandro, still very early days for him.
Good times ahead.

Well take more than a couple it will take years and years

Remember by the time we do sign 5 top players if we ever do, the squad as a whole is getting older. There are many players that need replacing. Barry, Jags, Baines next etc and that all costs money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back