Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just wild, sell Keane he makes too many mistakes and play Godfrey every minute of every game, a guy who literally has gone 90 minutes without losing someone leading to a chance once or maybe twice while playing CB for us. I know we all love Godfrey, he tackles HARD and is dead committed.

Everton football club has 4 senior centre backs, Godfrey, Mina, Holgate and Keane.

Everton football club has 1 highly promising centre back with first team experience, Branthwaite.

If you sell one of the 4 centre backs and promote the 1 promising centre back then it isnt a case of "no continuity" as you incorrectly stated.

Instead of typing out that bit in bold about one of the centre backs who is vastly superior to Keane you could have been objective and taken the process of the above onboard.

Option one
It seems clear to me that we have Godfrey and Branthwaite who are both showing 'high potential ceilings', Mina who is clearly our best and then Holgate and Keane who are backup players.

We arent in Europe so its prudent to sell one -- Keane.

Option two

We sell Holgate which means we have no backup for Godfrey and instead have to play Keane. This will lead to having to play either:

A: A deep defence
B: A 3 man defence

Otherwise he will make several errors per game as we once again see today.

Option three
We sell both Keane and Holgate. Promote Branthwaite and go with Mina, Godfrey, Branthwaite and a new signing.

Flies in the ointment
Mina only has 2 years left on his deal. If he elects not to extend his contract and we sell, we could be left with Godfrey as first choice, one of Keane and Holgate starting and the other as backup with Branthwaite as the promising player.

The other issue is that Keane is not at the value he held while an England international (lol) and would be hard to sell on his high wages.

Conclusion
We need to extend Mina's contract. Promote Branthwaite.
Sell Keane OR sell Keane and Holgate.

Fin

Everton football club has 4 senior centre backs, Godfrey, Mina, Holgate and Keane.

Everton football club has 1 highly promising centre back with first team experience, Branthwaite.

If you sell one of the 4 centre backs and promote the 1 promising centre back then it isnt a case of "no continuity" as you incorrectly stated.

Instead of typing out that bit in bold about one of the centre backs who is vastly superior to Keane you could have been objective and taken the process of the above onboard.

Option one
It seems clear to me that we have Godfrey and Branthwaite who are both showing 'high potential ceilings', Mina who is clearly our best and then Holgate and Keane who are backup players.

We arent in Europe so its prudent to sell one -- Keane.

Option two
We sell Holgate which means we have no backup for Godfrey and instead have to play Keane. This will lead to having to play either:

A: A deep defence
B: A 3 man defence

Otherwise he will make several errors per game as we once again see today.

Option three
We sell both Keane and Holgate. Promote Branthwaite and go with Mina, Godfrey, Branthwaite and a new signing.

Flies in the ointment
Mina only has 2 years left on his deal. If he elects not to extend his contract and we sell, we could be left with Godfrey as first choice, one of Keane and Holgate starting and the other as backup with Branthwaite as the promising player.

The other issue is that Keane is not at the value he held while an England international (lol) and would be hard to sell on his high wages.

Conclusion

Fin
I'm all for trying to make the team better for the future. Selling Keane alone doesn't do that. It does however make us worse in the present. If Branthwaite is ready to play weekly right now (I doubt he is) than we can just do that. No one needs to leave.

Rafael Benitez is our manager. We're going to be playing a deep defense. I know you want us to press and play a high line but we just aren't. If you're making these posts on that you're living in a fantasy world.

I'm all for trying to make the team better for the future. Selling Keane alone doesn't do that. It does however make us worse in the present. If Branthwaite is ready to play weekly right now (I doubt he is) than we can just do that. No one needs to leave.

Rafael Benitez is our manager. We're going to be playing a deep defense. I know you want us to press and play a high line but we just aren't. If you're making these posts on that you're living in a fantasy world.

Benitez didnt play deep yesterday. Look what happened.

Even if we play deep he has no pace on the turn. Lukaku will ruin him, again.

I think youre just trying to be 'edgy' at this point by slating our best players and praising the ones who should be sold.

Keane should be sold. Its beyond arguing.

Benitez didnt play deep yesterday. Look what happened.

Even if we play deep he has no pace on the turn. Lukaku will ruin him, again.

I think youre just trying to be 'edgy' at this point by slating our best players and praising the ones who should be sold.

Keane should be sold. Its beyond arguing.
Um... what?

I'm not really trying to be edgy. I just tend to have less extreme views on our players because by and large they're all extremely average. It means that Godfrey, Richarlison and Doucoure I rate lower than the average poster because I don't think they're amazing and Iwobi, Keane and whoever else I rate higher because they don't suck so bad that they should be in the conference.

I still think our good players are DCL, James (if he's ever fit again), Digne and Richarlison when he's in a situation where he's not being asked to pass or dribble the ball very frequently. So for the others I'm not going to go on about how awesome they are and ignore that they have shortcomings. The rest pretty much sit in the average on some level. Some are a little below. Some a little above. We don't have too many players I'd say shouldn't be in a PL team. Maybe Delph? It's a short list. So I'm not going to go crazy saying they suck either.

Um... what?

I'm not really trying to be edgy. I just tend to have less extreme views on our players because by and large they're all extremely average. It means that Godfrey, Richarlison and Doucoure I rate lower than the average poster because I don't think they're amazing and Iwobi, Keane and whoever else I rate higher because they don't suck so bad that they should be in the conference.

I still think our good players are DCL, James (if he's ever fit again), Digne and Richarlison when he's in a situation where he's not being asked to pass or dribble the ball very frequently. So for the others I'm not going to go on about how awesome they are and ignore that they have shortcomings. The rest pretty much sit in the average on some level. Some are a little below. Some a little above. We don't have too many players I'd say shouldn't be in a PL team. Maybe Delph? It's a short list. So I'm not going to go crazy saying they suck either.

Two balanced, unbalanced edgy views there.

Keane does indeed "suck so bad" as evidenced yesterday.

Aside off the silly mistake he did ok today for me … just saying …….!

….Armstrong ran him ragged just like Vydra did at Goodison last season. He can’t cope when he’s exposed against mobile strikers. He lacks the physicality to match them and the aggression to compete with them.

Besides the mistake, I suggest you watch the match back. There’s one incident in particular in the corner by the church where Armstrong brushes him aside and goes past him. It says everything.

Last edited:
https://www.[Publication is blackli...impressed-with-michael-keane-playing-it-safe/

The error for the goal
Two similar situations 2nd half
The header out of play
Passing out of play
Bullied out of the way

Hopefully the article is true and Benitez sees what hes dealing with and sells him this summer.

Conclusion

Fin

Solid proof. As you know, I am firmly in the "sell both and buy a first-rate CB" camp. Debatably, going thin at the position this season and not buying a CB is how we afford a solution at RB. We can always bring in a CB on loan or bring in an old one on a free. Good CBs generally have a lengthy shelf life.

Sadly, Mick has never had the minerals or mentality to be a top class CB. Godfrey and Mina are mikes ahead of this fella as first choice CB pairing.

Branthwaite and any other youth CB should also move ahead of him in the pecking order.

Keane still should be picked ahead of holgate though - he was and has been crap for ages, and as much at fault for the cock up as Keane, by giving him zero options.

They both made Armstrong look like prime Harry Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back