2024/25 Michael Keane

He has nothing to do with us conceding 3’s and 4’s every single time he plays regardless of opposition. It’s all everyone else’s fault.
It is weird, because despite not doing anything particularly terrible in either match he just seems to make us much weaker defensively. It's like he freaks out the rest of the defence or something. It's very odd.

It is weird, because despite not doing anything particularly terrible in either match he just seems to make us much weaker defensively. It's like he freaks out the rest of the defence or something. It's very odd.

Yeah. It’s almost like he’s just terrible and never in the right position, never putting himself in where it hurts, never following runners, never on his toes, never set correctly to turn around, never proactive in anticipating where the ball is going to go. It’s just fluke that whenever he plays everyone around him starts costing us loads of goals. Witchcraft you could say.

Keane certainly isn’t the only player who’s preformed to a very average standard over the last two weeks, plenty lf players have been really poor so I don’t think it’s fair for Keane to be an isolated scapegoat. However, I don’t see what’s the point in starting him over O’Brien?

I've seen people defend Keane last 2 games saying "he wasn't our worst defender".

The issue is that his mere presence changes the way others play. Even at bottom of the barrel level football, I've played with players who are far worse than me and I've had to work twice as hard to compensate, but mostly I've played with players far better than me get frustrated when I can't do what they expect, ans that's just random blokes hiring a 5g pitch for a game of casual footie. Tarks now has to work twice as hard with him next to him and because of that is more likely to make mistakes himself.

I've seen people defend Keane last 2 games saying "he wasn't our worst defender".

The issue is that his mere presence changes the way others play. Even at bottom of the barrel level football, I've played with players who are far worse than me and I've had to work twice as hard to compensate, but mostly I've played with players far better than me get frustrated when I can't do what they expect, ans that's just random blokes hiring a 5g pitch for a game of casual footie. Tarks now has to work twice as hard with him next to him and because of that is more likely to make mistakes himself.
I'm no fan of Keane but can't blame him for how bad Tarkowski has been so far.

It’s like all the players, they don’t pick themselves. Do we expect him to refuse to play? Of course not, so he just has to get out there and play as well as he can, it’s just sadly not great. Not his fault.

I'm hoping O'Brien has something similar and him being on the bench is a case of he's much better resting it in the long term but in an emergency he can come on.
He’s on the bench because he doesn’t have Dyche’s required ‘PL Experience’ same as why Branthwaite sat out the first 5 last season

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back