Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree wholeheartedly. I think people have short memories. Him and lescott together was the best centre half pairing we've had since the glory days of the mid 80s. Between 2007-2009 there weren't many bettter. The biggest compliment I can give him, is that he nullified the threat of Torres at the RS numerous times, when Torres was terrorising defences. The sickening ACL injury robbed him of a yard of pace, but never his commitment to the club or the shirt.
Gough weir,

Cheers cheese.

Having said that, MLB and NBA do often times make mid season trades, that are all about trying to win now and forget the future. In a lot of those cases, a team that is clearly out of the race will trade a star player in the last year of their contract to a contender. The contender will usually give up young prospects, in the hopes of winning now. In most of those cases the player involved who is in the last year of their deal has made it clear they plan to test the free agent waters. Free agency over here is different I think...players get big money deals as a free agent.

The reason people say he should be cheaper isn't that we inherit a player that will be out of contract in a year, it's that Burnley know he can move for free next year. It's that THEY are in a weak negotiating position. This is the reason Barkley is being sold (given the ultimatum) now. If we keep him, we'll get nothing for him next summer.

Thank you, this makes sense.

This raises another question for me: Does a player have to agree to a transfer before it is completed, or can a club just send him to whomever is offering the highest transfer fee? Here, you can just trade a player to any team you want, regardless of their approval (except in the rare instance where a superstar player has negotiated a "no-trade clause" into his contract).

Thank you, this makes sense.

This raises another question for me: Does a player have to agree to a transfer before it is completed, or can a club just send him to whomever is offering the highest transfer fee? Here, you can just trade a player to any team you want, regardless of their approval (except in the rare instance where a superstar player has negotiated a "no-trade clause" into his contract).

No. The player has to sign a contract with the buying club.

Been quite a few examples of clubs agreeing a fee, but the player doesnt fancy it, so stays.

No. The player has to sign a contract with the buying club.

Been quite a few examples of clubs agreeing a fee, but the player doesnt fancy it, so stays.

Thank you. So is the signing of the new contract with the buying club what you Brits refer to as "personal terms agreed?"

Gough weir,
Good partnership, but they were good players at the end of their careers. Lescott and jagielka were in their prime. You only had to see how the form of lescott stalled 18 months after leaving us at city. He was good but not the same player as he was alongside jagielka.

Thank you. So is the signing of the new contract with the buying club what you Brits refer to as "personal terms agreed?"

Yep.

These days it will include all sorts, basic salary obviously, but also image rights, (for some), bonuses, maybe buy out clauses if certain clubs come in for them in a few years time, All sorts.

We all know about it, but as a Merican, it must look bewildering.

I think Burnley really didnt want to lose him.

They will struggle big time to replace him, hence they wanted to milk as much as possible.
Not being disrespectful to Burnley at all, as I quite like them as a club, but they're almost in a no-win situation so it's better to twist than stick.

If they keep him for a year then he'll certainly go because of his calibre and the interest him, but they will financially have to take a huge hit.

Something they simply can't afford therefore it's in their interest to sell him, yet as you point out it'll very be difficult to replace his vital stature.

It's very telling that this thread has a fraction of the amount of posts that Sandro's thread does.

The FIFA virgins love an UNBELIEVABLE TEKKERS GOAL yet don't see the value or importance of good defending. The kind of people who wonder what Gana actually does.

OMG SANDRO PROPPA RINSED HIM THEN lol lol lol [fire emoji]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back