Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people seriously believe West Brom will pay £100k per week. Hopefully the reports we will are true then there is no doubt were he will end up

...all I'm saying is there is a growing anti-Barry bandwagon which is unfair. He's a really talented footballer on the verge of the most ever Premiership appearances. Of course we need to progress, of course we need more energy in midfield and of course Barry's game time will decrease but the fact this manager has continued to play him whilst dropping our other 'stars' illustrates he should be last on the list for a dislike campaign.

I've never taken much notice of public opinion about players & I don't dislike the chap at all. I'm sure he's a likeable character, is good to his family and takes a full part in charitable work. It's all good till he tries to run.

At that point I do have a problem with him. And that extension to his contract tells me far more about the club than any amount of puff about fancy Projects. Much like Gibson's extension.

...all I'm saying is there is a growing anti-Barry bandwagon which is unfair. He's a really talented footballer on the verge of the most ever Premiership appearances. Of course we need to progress, of course we need more energy in midfield and of course Barry's game time will decrease but the fact this manager has continued to play him whilst dropping our other 'stars' illustrates he should be last on the list for a dislike campaign.
You could say the same for a number of underperformed players over the years though eggs , Howard last year was kept in the team despite his level dropping. Just because the manager isn't dropping him doesn't mean he shouldn't be free of criticism, after all it is his choice to be here and not retiring over in the mls or something. He may be 35 but he is first team therefore if he doesn't perform we should be able to call him on it just as much we would do Cleverley or Mccarthy

I've never taken much notice of public opinion about players & I don't dislike the chap at all. I'm sure he's a likeable character, is good to his family and takes a full part in charitable work. It's all good till he tries to run.

At that point I do have a problem with him. And that extension to his contract tells me far more about the club than any amount of puff about fancy Projects. Much like Gibson's extension.

...I think the Gibson extension is much different. He'd had trouble off the pitch, was rarely available and even when he was, didn't get selected. I wouldn't blame the current regime as that was done during transition. Saying that, I wonder if it was a 'spend to save' strategy, feeling they could get a transfer fee rather than a Bosman. Barry's situation is totally different. I'm not saying I would have offered an extension but I have no issue with it. The indication is we are about to see wholesale change, I presume RK feels he needs Barry to support that on and off the pitch.

We have more pressing concerns than Barry's contract.

You could say the same for a number of underperformed players over the years though eggs , Howard last year was kept in the team despite his level dropping. Just because the manager isn't dropping him doesn't mean he shouldn't be free of criticism, after all it is his choice to be here and not retiring over in the mls or something. He may be 35 but he is first team therefore if he doesn't perform we should be able to call him on it just as much we would do Cleverley or Mccarthy

...I'm presume it was RM who gave Howard the extension. I agree players are open to criticism, I'm not advocating the extension to Barry's contract but I am defending him from what I see as an increasing bandwagon against him.

...I think the Gibson extension is much different. He'd had trouble off the pitch, was rarely available and even when he was, didn't get selected. I wouldn't blame the current regime as that was done during transition. Saying that, I wonder if it was a 'spend to save' strategy, feeling they could get a transfer fee rather than a Bosman. Barry's situation is totally different. I'm not saying I would have offered an extension but I have no issue with it. The indication is we are about to see wholesale change, I presume RK feels he needs Barry to support that on and off the pitch.

Can't disagree with a word of that. It'll have been down to the manager's judgment. Bigger fish to fry etc. But in my judgment, poor.

Yeah, while the Gibson contract was odd, it was done prior to Koeman coming in.

Also with Barry, even if Schnederlin is to replace him (which, let's face it, someone will in the next 18 months), he's still gonna be handy to have around - I imagine his input on the training ground is invaluable for a start. Would we really want to lose that, for the sake of an extra years' wages for him?

Every job needs its experienced old hacks to teach the youth - Gareth Barry is ours and for me is a decent enough example.

Any player who takes thousands of pounds to play and doesn't preform is open to criticism in regard to how he has played.
If that player is continually poor then the criticism should be directed towards the manager.
If Barry is no longer capable of performing at Premiership level consistently then he needs to be replaced, if we don't have someone to replace him after the next transfer window then it will be Koeman's fault.

Yeah, while the Gibson contract was odd, it was done prior to Koeman coming in.

Also with Barry, even if Schnederlin is to replace him (which, let's face it, someone will in the next 18 months), he's still gonna be handy to have around - I imagine his input on the training ground is invaluable for a start. Would we really want to lose that, for the sake of an extra years' wages for him?

Every job needs its experienced old hacks to teach the youth - Gareth Barry is ours and for me is a decent enough example.
Bringing on Barry as a sub instead of Cleverley or Gibson during that 20 minutes a season he's semi fit sounds like a plan to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back