Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is definitely an urgency and it is not related to Gueye leaving to the AFCON. Surely you dont dispute that buying a player now and allowing him 6 months to bed in to the team is more beneficial than buying the same player in July?
We have a preseason and also Koeman and he know what each other want. There is no reason for sining him on a bedding in basis.

I think your concerns are fair Dave and not worthy of the stick you are getting. I don't agree but they are legitimate concerns.

In the abstract 22 million is big money, no getting away from that. However is it big money compared too 30 million for Sissoko, or 26 million for Wijnaldum? Or 13 million for Mason? The Premier League is awash with money, most clubs have more money than sense with a large dose of desperation kicking in. We all want to make better signings with the money we have, however everyone has money so we haven't really jumped up the pecking order so much, we just have more money to spend. Can you honestly not put Schneiderlin alongside those players and see it's around market value? What I'm saying is it is the market that's nuts not our buying power.

It is reasonable to suggest that the spending is excessive and not prudent. However what would be reasonable is to then state how you might want us to develop. I know you have some names last night, Brandt & Horn. Both good names, both well within our price bracket. The blunt reality is though, that if we bid for them a more exciting club comes in and we will not be the preferred option.
But in all those cases the buying clubs are far more financially capable of taking a big money punt than we are.

I think many actually believe Moshiri is a game changer - maybe not in the Maktoum mould or Abramovic but not far off it. It's a nonsense. He wont put a lot into this squad if anything. It'll be paid for by and large with sales and the tv cash open to all PL clubs.

In a converse sense, I think the best strategy going forward is to have Walsh slowly adding unknown names that the footballing world haven't really heard of. The sorts of names all of us as fans will be moaning about "who are they?" Lads like Gana are a prime example of this. Very few people were happy with this, I was lukewarm and I'm a generally positive guy! What needs to happen for me, is Walsh needs to sign players we haven't heard of, so we jump ahead of other Premier league teams. I do think that will happen increasingly.
Koeman has had a big input on Schneiderlin, Williams & Bolasie (you can add Sigurdson, and Fonte to that list as well) but I do think his input on signings will decline as he spends longer in the job. The contacts he has built up will lesson and players he previously worked with or against will become more distant. I don't begrudge paying the inflated fees for them being at English clubs as a short term fix, but on the proviso that it's not a long term model.

That being said, of all the players we've been linked with in that grouping, I think Schneiderlin represents by far and away the best value. You don't fancy him, which is fair enough but I think he's very good and will improve our first 11.

Completely agree. I'd love us to mostly go this route + academy home grown + one or two unquestioned quality big money signings. Atm though we have a chequebook out and it'll skew any such balanced policy out of whack. Someone has to be the adult down there and insist at the very least if we are paying out £20 odd million on a player we stand at least a fighting chance of getting most of it back in a resale.

But in all those cases the buying clubs are far more financially capable of taking a big money punt than we are.

I think many actually believe Moshiri is a game changer - maybe not in the Maktoum mould or Abramovic but not far off it. It's a nonsense. He wont put a lot into this squad if anything. It'll be paid for by and large with sales and the tv cash open to all PL clubs.

One of those highlighted was Mason to Hull City for £13m....Hull City - you sure about that?

The rest of that post is just Mystic Meg baseless opinion, and is just reiterating your negative stance on Moshiri as opposed to your other hobby horse Koeman.

Completely agree. I'd love us to mostly go this route + academy home grown + one or two unquestioned quality big money signings. Atm though we have a chequebook out and it'll skew any such balanced policy out of whack. Someone has to be the adult down there and insist at the very least if we are paying out £20 odd million on a player we stand at least a fighting chance of getting most of it back in a resale.

So Dave this is your line of argument/thinking

Moshiri won't invest anything substantial in the team and any purchases will in huge part be funded by sales (if not the entirety of what we spend being funded that way)

and to support that point of view you seem to be saying that we are buying players with little to no resale value

the two lines of thinking don't add up mate, fundamentally a flawed argument

So what do you want the club to do Dave, honestly, do you want us to only buy players who have a great chance of having a resale value equal or at a profit to what we paid? In which case your basically supporting the buy to sell model which you are supposedly so set against

Reactions: JLW
Ha Ha. Well in mate. A minor mistake held up as proof of something substantial.

You can do better than this.

Did do earleir today mate when i showed how you instantly believe third hand reports when they support your argument rather than take a moment to check it for accuracy.

Then again - veering off topic again, so will just say, absolutely fantastic signing is the boy Scheiderlin

Moshiri won't invest anything substantial in the team and any purchases will in huge part be funded by sales (if not the entirety of what we spend being funded that way)

and to support that point of view you seem to be saying that we are buying players with little to no resale value

So what do you want the club to do Dave, honestly, do you want us to only buy players who have a great chance of having a resale value equal or at a profit to what we paid? In which case your basically supporting the buy to sell model which you are supposedly so set against
He wants us to win mate.

My brain hurts

Can we all just agree that if we'd signed Schneiderlin for the exact same money and the exact same point in the season but Martinez was still manager that Dave would be very much in favour of it, where as all the people who hated Martinez would probably see a problem with it, and the rest of us would be cautiously sitting on the fence in fear of being vaulted, and just get on with our lives please?

Cheers

With that said, welcome Morgan, I'm rooting for you ;)

I've told you the model we have to adopt. If you think it to be contradictory/nonsensical there's not much I can do to persuade you otherwise.

Your 'max the credit card' approach tallies with your views from the near past that we should have bankrupted ourselves on Yarmolenko, so at least you ARE being consistent in that respect.

Can we all just agree that if we'd signed Schneiderlin for the exact same money and the exact same point in the season but Martinez was still manager that Dave would be very much in favour of it, where as all the people who hated Martinez would probably see a problem with it, and the rest of us would be cautiously sitting on the fence in fear of being vaulted, and just get on with our lives please?

Cheers

With that said, welcome Morgan, I'm rooting for you ;)

Nah will give Dave points for being consistant - he as far back as 2014 was dismissive of Schneiderlin and very for Wanyama mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back