Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
22 million isn't high either.

Going back 2 years to the summer united bought him. He was one of the top performing midfielders in the league, international call ups and his stock was high, would 22 million have been high then? think most of us would have been made up doing that sort of business back then, so nothing changed, other than Jose giving us another player that improves the team that he cannot see the talent in.

I think some people are basing this idea of value or talent on the fact that he is a player jose didn't want. Van Gaal played him enough. the same Jose as well that sold us his record breaking young striker? The same Jose that sold wolfsburg an 8 million pound midfielder who then went on to be one of the best in europe?

Yeah, not every player Jose sells is crap.

Add the fact inflation now would mean United paying £30-35m for him.

How have I done that when I've already stated that I can see he has quality and can ad something to the midfield?

True, You have to a minor extent, However, it is overwhelmed by your fervent belief that this is a bad piece of business overall for us. Let's just see how it goes, we can engage in lovely fume if the wheels come off...

We set ourselves up for paying future inflated prices when we threw 25m at Palace for that awful footballer Yannick Bolasie. Schneiderlin is miles more effective on the football pitch than Bolasie, a similar age, won't be disappearing to the African Cup of Nations every two years and thus missing 5 games and also doesn't have to deal with traveling tens of thousands of miles across the world to play home international games. Can't blame United for holding us to random, but to be honest we haven't been because in today's market 22m for Schneiderlin is a top deal.

Jordan Ibe for 15m last season to Bournemouth. Anybody remember that?

Add the fact inflation now would mean United paying £30-35m for him.
Well yeah exactly, Kante wasn't world class last season so to speak, his stock was high from a good season, so similar situation to Schniederlain. So if Kante had another swason like last year at Leicester then he probably would have went for more again.

So if anything, Jose has done us a favour, because if he was playing him, we wouldn't have even got near them to sign him.

All about opinions mate. Mine is we've now gotten ourselves into an unwanted habit of paying premium fees for non-premium players...and if we add Depay to Bolassie and Schneiderlin it'll conform it in my mind.

I think your concerns are fair Dave and not worthy of the stick you are getting. I don't agree but they are legitimate concerns.

In the abstract 22 million is big money, no getting away from that. However is it big money compared too 30 million for Sissoko, or 26 million for Wijnaldum? Or 13 million for Mason? The Premier League is awash with money, most clubs have more money than sense with a large dose of desperation kicking in. We all want to make better signings with the money we have, however everyone has money so we haven't really jumped up the pecking order so much, we just have more money to spend. Can you honestly not put Schneiderlin alongside those players and see it's around market value? What I'm saying is it is the market that's nuts not our buying power.

It is reasonable to suggest that the spending is excessive and not prudent. However what would be reasonable is to then state how you might want us to develop. I know you have some names last night, Brandt & Horn. Both good names, both well within our price bracket. The blunt reality is though, that if we bid for them a more exciting club comes in and we will not be the preferred option.

In a converse sense, I think the best strategy going forward is to have Walsh slowly adding unknown names that the footballing world haven't really heard of. The sorts of names all of us as fans will be moaning about "who are they?" Lads like Gana are a prime example of this. Very few people were happy with this, I was lukewarm and I'm a generally positive guy! What needs to happen for me, is Walsh needs to sign players we haven't heard of, so we jump ahead of other Premier league teams. I do think that will happen increasingly.

Koeman has had a big input on Schneiderlin, Williams & Bolasie (you can add Sigurdson, and Fonte to that list as well) but I do think his input on signings will decline as he spends longer in the job. The contacts he has built up will lesson and players he previously worked with or against will become more distant. I don't begrudge paying the inflated fees for them being at English clubs as a short term fix, but on the proviso that it's not a long term model.

That being said, of all the players we've been linked with in that grouping, I think Schneiderlin represents by far and away the best value. You don't fancy him, which is fair enough but I think he's very good and will improve our first 11.

Lads, this is a thread about Schnederlin. Not for people to take pot shots @davek over Martinez.

Let's keep it civil.

Regarding the fee, have we overpaid? Most likely but I think that about most fee's now.
True however while there is a period of inactivity at least people are talking about Everton.

For me this is indicative of the way fees are going in general.

Was just trying to be generous! Appalling really. How Martinez was allowed to bring in a third of his relegated Wigan team to Everton I will never know.

Joel - Alcaraz - McCarthy - Kone.

Literally the spine of the team he got relegated.

Barry's signing was a great move so credit where it's due but even Lukaku was a fluke. Kenwright had rang Chelsea about Demba Ba remember and was basically asked "Do you want Lukaku on loan?"

Appalling transfer dealings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back