Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I applaud you for having your own opinions, but you are clearly in the minority on this one.

What?

Dave? Minority view?

Never...

They're necessary players to have. Personally I'd never attribute the word great to any player who's primary function is to destroy opposition moves.

Keane, Gattuso, Cambiasso etc etc.

They're necessary as you say, some are world class and very worthy of being lauded 'Great', some are James McCarthy.

What is a great player ? Is it measured only in what is contributed in an attacking sense ?
The very best teams are built on a bedrock of players who give structure stability and defensive strength to the team.
Great players have to be compared to the players who perform similar tasks in a team. Comparing Kante and Hazard to decide which is a great player is nonsense.
Of course there are great players and then there are world class.
There are plenty great players, the Premiership is littered with them , but probably no more than four or five world class.
Hazard, Aguero, Rooney(four years ago) spring readily to mind but it is not so easy to name defensive players or to judge them.

Rooney was a great player. And we have a potentially great player now in the shape of Barkley...though I dont see his creative side developing under koeman and he'd have to wait him out here or go elsewhere to fulfil that potential.

His creative side stalled greatly under Bobby though.

It's flourished in the second half of this season.

What is a great player ? Is it measured only in what is contributed in an attacking sense ?
The very best teams are built on a bedrock of players who give structure stability and defensive strength to the team.
Great players have to be compared to the players who perform similar tasks in a team. Comparing Kante and Hazard to decide which is a great player is nonsense.
Of course there are great players and then there are world class.
There are plenty great players, the Premiership is littered with them , but probably no more than four or five world class.
Hazard, Aguero, Rooney(four years ago) spring readily to mind but it is not so easy to name defensive players or to judge them.
Tony Adams.. . Dave Watson.. John stones.... Rio Ferdinand....

I think this is just semantics really. I agree with Davek in a way. When I think of great players I think of players with an X factor, players who have great touch and can produce a moment of skill to change a game. The players who fit into this category I've see at Everton are Beardsley, Limpar, Kanchelskis, Arteta, Pienaar, Baines, Barkley, Rooney and Stones. Even Lukaku is essentially a functional player. Doesn't have any finesse.

I think this is just semantics really. I agree with Davek in a way. When I think of great players I think of players with an X factor, players who have great touch and can produce a moment of skill to change a game. The players who fit into this category I've see at Everton are Beardsley, Limpar, Kanchelskis, Arteta, Pienaar, Baines, Barkley, Rooney and Stones. Even Lukaku is essentially a functional player. Doesn't have any finesse.

Can I have some of what your drinking?

Kanchelskis was hardly a finesse player himself. Run really fast, cut in and belt the ball towards goal as hard as he can. He would very rarely beat players with "skill". Id say Lukaku falls into that category.

For me a "great" player is one who can perform at the same level for any team and against any opposition. Consistency is the main thing. A lot of people seem to confuse "talent" with greatness. There are loads of ridiculously talented players who have not/never will make it to the top because they dont have the consistency to go with it.

Kanchelskis was hardly a finesse player himself. Run really fast, cut in and belt the ball towards goal as hard as he can. He would very rarely beat players with "skill". Id say Lukaku falls into that category.

For me a "great" player is one who can perform at the same level for any team and against any opposition. Consistency is the main thing. A lot of people seem to confuse "talent" with greatness. There are loads of ridiculously talented players who have not/never will make it to the top because they dont have the consistency to go with it.

Can't have that. Some of his volleyed goals were sublime, and he had much more to his game than merely pace a decent shot. He was technically excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back