Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't have that. Some of his volleyed goals were sublime, and he had much more to his game than merely pace a decent shot. He was technically excellent.

I didn't say that he wasn't!

Some of Lukaku's goals are also technically brilliant, I am just saying that if Lukaku isn't classed as a "great" because he doesn't do "tekkers" all the time then neither should Kanchelskis.

They are both cracking players, that much is obvious.

Barkley has lost his edge, the sort of play that used to get you off the edge of your seat has gone. The problem was though that when given completely free reign he almost completely de railed as a player. Koeman's built him back up but that player who ran from the half way line v Newcastle, chipped Hart, bossed the 13/14 home derby, casually arced in the free kick v Swansea, seems to be gone. When was the last time he shot from outside the box? Now he's scoring and assisting more than ever but the joie de vivre has gone. It's a fine line.

On topic, Schneiderlin is a very good player but he's not going to be a great let's be honest here. We've been guilty of overrating our players too often. Schneiderlin isn't Busquets' twin, Gueye is not Kante, and Tom Davies is not a young Alan Ball.

It's a good midfield three that's it. I'd still expect Koeman to upgrade in the summer in this area.

Some of Lukaku's goals are also technically brilliant, I am just saying that if Lukaku isn't classed as a "great" because he doesn't do "tekkers" all the time then neither should Kanchelskis.

Andrei had a fantastic first touch and great close control, running with the ball at the pace he did keeping it under control was very skilful.

What?

Dave? Minority view?

Never...

Keane, Gattuso, Cambiasso etc etc.

They're necessary as you say, some are world class and very worthy of being lauded 'Great', some are James McCarthy.
Well I'd have Schneiderlin at the McCarthy end of the spectrum rather than the Keane/Gattuso end of it.

As a side note: your replies to me dont show up in 'alerts'. ??

Someone who has juggled the ball in the air during a game, after which four defenders of the opponent get the time to run back, that’s the player people think is great. I say he has to go to a circus.

Technique is not being able to juggle a ball 1000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is passing the ball with one touch, with the right speed, at the right foot of your team mate.

Johan Cruyff

this is such a ridiculous argument to be making. @davek Youre describing someone who (is) 'are creative...can swing momentum in big games...get you on the edge of your seat' as great which is something you could say of someone like Adel Taarabt. There is degrees of greatness and different ways of being 'great' - its not just one model because thats where the glamour and headline is.

Great players play for great teams who have a mixture of grit and flair - Makelele (Real, Chelsea and France), Deschamp (Juventus and France), Rijkaard (Ajax and AC Milan) - one compliments the other. If you have one without the other you get nowhere and you win nothing. Not everything in football has to be polarised to great or trash, attack or defence, majestic football or hoofball.

Schniederlin is not a great, but he is a very good midfielder who adds grit and craft to our midfield, he, in my opinion, and seemingly many on here, improves our midfield and alongside Gana should be our midfield. Hes in his prime and adds composure and control to our midfield which has been lacking.

this is such a ridiculous argument to be making. @davek Youre describing someone who (is) 'are creative...can swing momentum in big games...get you on the edge of your seat' as great which is something you could say of someone like Adel Taarabt. There is degrees of greatness and different ways of being 'great' - its not just one model because thats where the glamour and headline is.

Great players play for great teams who have a mixture of grit and flair - Makelele (Real, Chelsea and France), Deschamp (Juventus and France), Rijkaard (Ajax and AC Milan) - one compliments the other. If you have one without the other you get nowhere and you win nothing. Not everything in football has to be polarised to great or trash, attack or defence, majestic football or hoofball.

Schniederlin is not a great, but he is a very good midfielder who adds grit and craft to our midfield, he, in my opinion, and seemingly many on here, improves our midfield and alongside Gana should be our midfield. Hes in his prime and adds composure and control to our midfield which has been lacking.
So basically you're agreeing with me but finding some way to not agree with me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back