Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the Martinez shouts either. He plays attractive stuff but at the end of the day he needs to get the result. Moyes took Everton from relegation fodder to top half of the table in the same amount of time that Martinez has been at Wigan.

I don't get the Martinez shouts either. He plays attractive stuff but at the end of the day he needs to get the result. Moyes took Everton from relegation fodder to top half of the table in the same amount of time that Martinez has been at Wigan.

True, he got nothing on Moyes. I'm more interested in the type of players he buys? do like the look of James McCarthy and Kone who are both brought in my Martinez. Would rather have Martinez then another british/scotland manager tho if we do lose Moyes. Hope not tho as he fits us like a glove. Our board will be a joke if they dont find the transfer funds to keep him.

Im not saying I want Martinez but listen...he's one for the job...he ticks all the boxes.
He has qualities that Kenwright appreciates..ability to work with limited funds and especially his resilience.
He also has a habit of being quite exciting from time to time.

While i'm not keen with the Martinez idea either, I wasn't that keen on the Moyes idea.

Imagine taking the Preston (or similar) manager right now. There would be uproar.

Anyway, I'm still thinking Moyes isn't leaving.

While i'm not keen with the Martinez idea either, I wasn't that keen on the Moyes idea.

Imagine taking the Preston (or similar) manager right now. There would be uproar.

Exactly Ijjy my good man.

Picking a good manager is one skill of Kenwright that even the most rabid opponent cannot argue with.

So we can happily let Bill get on with his job.

Exactly Ijjy my good man.

Picking a good manager is one skill of Kenwright that even the most rabid opponent cannot argue with.

So we can happily let Bill get on with his job.

Yes I can. He was going to take Megson until Walter Smith informed him about Moyes and it was his recommendation that stopped the other ginge turning up here.

Like ijjy I'm far from convinced moyes will go , I think he almost certainly should but whether he will depends for me on job offers and his 'character' as if you aren't committed you should go.

On Martinez I'm by no means banging the drum for him and I'm far from convinced but I suspect he'll be high in our list and I also think somebody at the club has at least casually acknowledged that .

As regards lennon he has a character I really don't believe would be suited at my club but that aside how good is he ? Lennon won the title last year having been well behind rangers before they're season started to unravel , to be totally fair they had clawed back the gap before administration . This year he's winning a one team league relatively comfortably against teams that have no chance of competing financially like rangers in Div 3 except McCoist is getting slaughtered by a large proportion of his fans. So our we basing the lennon love on a home result against Barcelona when they could have been easily hammered ? Because Oldham beat liverpool and Bradford Arsenal & Villa when the gap between the teams was arguably bigger but I don't see Parkinson and Dickov as contenders.

Just for comparison below is a list of Celtic managers and who they've left the club to go on to manage. Those marked have won the league and let's not forget all of them were up against a genuine rival and o'neill got to a European final . I think it's informative what 'kind of clubs' have been in for them as frankly it's not a list I'd be happy to see everton on really.

*Wim Jansen- Urawa Red Diamonds

Dr Josef Vengelos - Jef Utd

John Barnes - Tranmere Rovers

Kenny Dalglish - liverpool (11 year gap)

*Martin O'neill - Aston Villa

*Gordon Stachan- middlesborough

Tony Mowbary- middlesborough

Yes I can. He was going to take Megson until Walter Smith informed him about Moyes and it was his recommendation that stopped the other ginge turning up here.

Oh behave lad.

Fact - Kenwright appointment Moyes
Fact - Kenwright stuck with Moyes through the initial bad times

Outright conjecture - Kenwright was all set to appoint Megson until......

All the Kenwright haters do themselves no credit by this type of crap.

Oh behave lad.

Fact - Kenwright appointment Moyes
Fact - Kenwright stuck with Moyes through the initial bad times

Outright conjecture - Kenwright was all set to appoint Megson until......

All the Kenwright haters do themselves no credit by this type of crap.

Don't get that bit mate. I'm pretty it's fact that happened.

I remember all sorts of speculation at the time but I'll happily take my comments back if anyone can point to anything resembling hard fact.

Sorry but to me it's just another one of the Kenwright haters means of attack.

Appointing Moyes, and sticking by him for the early years, is one of Kenwright's biggest achievements .

The fact that Moyes has now outstayed his welcome is not the point.

Last edited:

It may have happened mate and i think it probably did. let me stress as well I'm not here to defend kenwright but where do we stop ? Moyes came very close to buying Sean Davis and Wright-Phillips so do we take them off his net spend or temper his overall managerial performance with them ?

All we can really deal in is facts and kenwright got it right with moyes and he certainly can't be criticised for standing by his man because at times he certainly has.

There are plenty of things to hammer bill over but he's got it right with moyes more than once.

It may have happened mate and i think it probably did. let me stress as well I'm not here to defend kenwright but where do we stop ? Moyes came very close to buying Sean Davis and Wright-Phillips so do we take them off his net spend or temper his overall managerial performance with them ?

All we can really deal in is facts and kenwright got it right with moyes and he certainly can't be criticised for standing by his man because at times he certainly has.

There are plenty of things to hammer bill over but he's got it right with moyes more than once.

Yeah for sure.

Should make it clear that I'm not bashing Kenwright here. Not for this anyway!

Could you imagine if Megson had got it?! Christ!

Yeah for sure.

Should make it clear that I'm not bashing Kenwright here. Not for this anyway!

Could you imagine if Megson had got it?! Christ!

It wasn't necessarily aimed at you mate I just quoted your post to address what I was talking about .

On Megson he'd almost certainly have been really poor but I suppose who knows . Who'd have thought pardew sacked by league one Southampton would have taken Newcastle to sixth or that Rodgers sacked by reading would end up at the RS After doing well at swansea ?

What I mean is that sometimes a club just suits a manager , I'd really doubt it'd have worked here with Megson in fact is be really surprised but there is evidence to suggest you just can't predict with any real accuracy .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back