Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Give it a rest, yes he was sacked but a more accurate account of his record is this:

Sanjoanense (3rd tier) - Did well and got him self a job with Espinho

Yes he was sacked at Espinho (3rd tier), but later went on to manage Santa Clara (2nd tier) for two seasons, and again was successful.

His abilities attracted the eye of AVB who took him to Porto for his coaching abilities. He's since then gone on to have a better record in the league than Mourinho and AVB. He hasn't been amazing in Europe, but neither did Alex Ferguson romp the CL every year.

To say he was unsuccessful in the second tier is totally inaccurate and wrong. After 11 years he's had 1 bad season, against Martinez 5

.....I suppose its all a matter of interpretation. He finished 4th in his 1st season with Santa Clara and then 5th in his 2nd. Hardly progression never mind 'success' for a club seeking promotion. Regardless, his only true success is at Porto where he took over a very good side. I just think his CV is a bit fragile and superficial and folk are jumping on the Vitor bandwagon without true consideration. My opinion although unlikely to change your view.

Redcoat said he would listen to the fans

Fans dont want martinez

Redcoat has martinez as favourite for the job

= Redcoat is a lying snake who listens to no one but the deluded nosense that comes out of his own arse

When you say the fans don't want him, is that just you and a few others, cos you ain't speaking for me

.....I suppose its all a matter of interpretation. He finished 4th in his 1st season with Santa Clara and then 5th in his 2nd. Hardly progression never mind 'success' for a club seeking promotion. Regardless, his only true success is at Porto where he took over a very good side. I just think his CV is a bit fragile and superficial and folk are jumping on the Vitor bandwagon without true consideration. My opinion although unlikely to change your view.

That's fine if you don't think he's the strongest candidate, but it's a bit patronising when you say people are not giving true consideration for their reasoning behind choosing Vitor. I simply have a different opinion to you.

Neither of us know the circumstances of his management outside of his time at Porto, you've argued that Martinez finishes with Wigan were not a reflection of his coaching ability based on some factual arguments. The same reasoning you're using against Vitor, is the same reasoning you're using for not wanting Vitor. Martinez slide was more dramatic, and ultimately more costly though.

Anecdotally the season after he left they went from 5th, to 14th and were relegated.

Last edited:

Apologies, no offence meant by the camps comment. Agreed, we're all Evertonians.

That's ok mate, Doin me head in all this now as I hate it when the fanbase is split like this, they need to get it announced so we can all get back to backing us, regardless to wether people are happy with the appointment or not.

That's fine if you don't think he's the strongest candidate, but it's a bit patronising when you say people are not giving true consideration for their reasoning behind choosing Vitor. I simply have a different opinion to you.

Neither of us know the circumstances of his management outside of his time at Porto, you've argued that Martinez finishes with Wigan were not a reflection of his coaching ability based on some factual arguments. The same reasoning you're using against Vitor, is the same reasoning you're using for not wanting Vitor. Martinez slide was more dramatic, and ultimately more costly though.

Anecdotally the season after he left they went from 5th, to 14th and were relegated.

Good and fair points.

....apologies, I never meant to patronise. The reason I say they haven't given true consideration is the reaction on here when I have posted this detail earlier in the thread. A number of folk were surprised and admitted to not looking beyond his Porto success. Obviously others have and don't share my concern.
We are all getting a bit precious about our preferences and hopefully we will be put out of our misery tomorrow.

....apologies, I never meant to patronise. The reason I say they haven't given true consideration is the reaction on here when I have posted this detail earlier in the thread. A number of folk were surprised and admitted to not looking beyond his Porto success. Obviously others have and don't share my concern.
We are all getting a bit precious about our preferences and hopefully we will be put out of our misery tomorrow.

I like him because I think he will attract a good calibre of player, coupled with the ability to manage well while losing players. I also think he'll have a good eye for foreign talent, and he's undoubtedly been successful in the Portuguese league, and not so successful in Europe. For me he has similarities to Martinez, but is more defensively minded/ astute.

If we get Martinez, which I think is pretty nailed on, then I'll be hoping we get the Swansea Martinez. There's no denying he did a fantastic job there, I live in the blue (Cardiff City) heartland (valleys), Martinez was genuinely excellent during his tenure with the Swans. Artetafan has made a good point about us being hard to be relegated, yet I simply prefer Vitors approach and think it's more readily adaptable to the players we have and success in the league. On the flip side, we're probably as close to perfect as you can get to play Martinez style of football. If he can do it, he'll do it with us, if he can't, then we'll quickly suss him out.

Moyes first game as EFC manager against Fulham fielded this side:

Simonsen; Hibbert, Weir, Stubbs, Pistone; Gemmill, Gravesen , Carsley, Unsworth , Ferguson, Radzinski .

Why do people say he inherited shte?

I raise this because of the anti Martinez sentiment comparing unfavorably his 4 years at Wigan to Moyes. I'd take the above side to survive in the Prem every day of the week - might not win much but tasked with survival? No problem at all.

From this steady base and the acceptance of transition by the fans Moyes getting transfer funds and the burgeoning talent of Rooney to come puts him in a completely different league to Martinez.

Whelan turned the money taps off post Bruce and Jewell (in reality the only reason Wigan were ever in the top div.) and Martinez had his best players sold - together with the wages slashed by over 20%!!!!
Factor in what top player is drawn to "wigan" and it's mission impossible unless you do something different. The accepted route is everyone back, be solid, hoof it and hope, but this is the fate of Birmingham, Wolves, Hull, Bradford, Coventry etc far more go down with the "accepted wisdom" and usually within their first season than all guns blazing.

This is the great hope with Martinez he believes in meeting challenges offensively.

We have no real money our ONLY hope is via improvement in the last third by either ambitious youth development in house or cheap imports from the south americas/spain etc where lads don't have the technique coached out of them.

I've been convinced since I saw his Swansea side built from nothing playing like Brazil 1970 in the lower divisions (again another impossibility according to the pros). if you're fair minded and consider the truth about Wigan you look past this years relegation and admire the fight he put up right to the end of his tenure and acclaim the FA cup for what it was - vindication of bravery against all odds.

Our history abounds with "out of nothing" the great phoenix of success suddenly rising the only thing missing is a dynasty. We need a man of vision to look long term to do a Shankly or Busby and lay unbreakable foundations while pulling the strings of the first team.... he is loyal, bright, assured, knows english football, proven in the big games and quite clearly WANTS to be here ..... nothing against the other names .... but if you believe in destiny he lives on our doorstep but turned down LFC for a reason.

Martinez is "chosen" and in his heart he knows.

I don't think the Vitor supporters and the Martinez supporters are going to see eye to eye until the announcement is made.
Who ever it is i just hope we can all get right behind our new manager.

Very good post, thanks...

Moyes first game as EFC manager against Fulham fielded this side:

Simonsen; Hibbert, Weir, Stubbs, Pistone; Gemmill, Gravesen , Carsley, Unsworth , Ferguson, Radzinski .

Why do people say he inherited shte?

I raise this because of the anti Martinez sentiment comparing unfavorably his 4 years at Wigan to Moyes. I'd take the above side to survive in the Prem every day of the week - might not win much but tasked with survival? No problem at all.

From this steady base and the acceptance of transition by the fans Moyes getting transfer funds and the burgeoning talent of Rooney to come puts him in a completely different league to Martinez.

Whelan turned the money taps off post Bruce and Jewell (in reality the only reason Wigan were ever in the top div.) and Martinez had his best players sold - together with the wages slashed by over 20%!!!!
Factor in what top player is drawn to "wigan" and it's mission impossible unless you do something different. The accepted route is everyone back, be solid, hoof it and hope, but this is the fate of Birmingham, Wolves, Hull, Bradford, Coventry etc far more go down with the "accepted wisdom" and usually within their first season than all guns blazing.

This is the great hope with Martinez he believes in meeting challenges offensively.

We have no real money our ONLY hope is via improvement in the last third by either ambitious youth development in house or cheap imports from the south americas/spain etc where lads don't have the technique coached out of them.

I've been convinced since I saw his Swansea side built from nothing playing like Brazil 1970 in the lower divisions (again another impossibility according to the pros). if you're fair minded and consider the truth about Wigan you look past this years relegation and admire the fight he put up right to the end of his tenure and acclaim the FA cup for what it was - vindication of bravery against all odds.

Our history abounds with "out of nothing" the great phoenix of success suddenly rising the only thing missing is a dynasty. We need a man of vision to look long term to do a Shankly or Busby and lay unbreakable foundations while pulling the strings of the first team.... he is loyal, bright, assured, knows english football, proven in the big games and quite clearly WANTS to be here ..... nothing against the other names .... but if you believe in destiny he lives on our doorstep but turned down LFC for a reason.

Martinez is "chosen" and in his heart he knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back