Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at the goals scored of Martinez teams year by year and it was not impressive. His teams may pass it about nicely but there is no end result in the back of the net. As for doing well on a tiny amount of money ... I believe AF looked at him and he spent the 16th or 17th most and has them in 18th now (and never finishing higher than 16th?). So he is performing exactly as you'd expect for the amount they spend (if not slightly worse).

He tends to pay the 15th highest wages and finish about 16th. (It's 15th, 15th and 17th highest wages vs 16th, 16th and 15th in positions). His players are about as good as their agents think they are, you would expect a manger whos tactics and coaching are exceptional to get more out of his teams then he's paying his players, he doesn't. Jewell and Bruce at that job both did.

This year his wage bill is probably one of the lowest three in the league for the first time and he's probably going down for the first time.

The thing that stops me writing him entirely off is that he seems to have to fund that wage bill in the transfer market. So he's been making a steady loss in players sales since he got the job. His job essentially as a manager seems to be to be good enough in the market to afford the wages they need to keep them up and if he can do that they're happy with him not being able to coach his teams to over achieve in terms of wages. That's really hard because you have to just nail it in the market and those conditions of having to sell your best player and not reinvest all the money every year does explain why they're doing poorer then they had previously because the other clubs with smaller wage bills spend money in the market too and wigan don't. All in all wigan tend to have the 19th lowest budget in the league under Martinez which makes their 17th positions look a little better then if you focus solely on transfers or solely on wages and not look at the both combined.

TBH if DM does go to Man U then BK must have known it was on the cards since the end of Jan - if he did not know DM has dropped us in the crap if this has been on the cards for the last 3 months - BK should have forced him to sign at the end of Jan as DM stated he would I think he is going imo no compensation - well done again BK another Gosling contract scenario balls up with deeper implications!

[video=youtube;H_aiDDU5z18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_aiDDU5z18[/video]

article-0-051656E4000005DC-997_468x566.jpg

Unless there's a manager available who has proven he can win trophies and achieve high league positions and perform in Europe backed with the square root of [Poor language removed] all, I'm not going to be able to get excited about any of the candidates. Don't even know who this Pereira cat is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back