Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the portugese league on par with the Prem?

Neil Lennon has got a great win record too.

What?! Being succesful in Portugal and Europe is loads better than winning a 1 team league! Just look at how many portuguese teams get automatic entry into the champions league compared to Scotland. Theres a massive reason for that. See if you can figure it out.

I'd be leery about Vitor Pereira.

Just because Mourinho and AVB have been successes doesn't mean he will be.

Could easily be the next Paulo Sousa (failed QPR & Leicester boss).

Sousa never managed in Portugal, though so you can't use him as an example of someone who had success in that league and couldn't translate it elsewhere.

I too am leery about Pereira, he inherited a very good team and it's got worse under his watch, but the portuguese league is arguably the fourth strongest in Europe, ahead of Italy and france. Their teams have been waltzing through the Europa league like it's their own backyard. The standard of competiton there isn't as awful as people make out.

Difference between us and United is some may say its step down for them to bring in Moyes but they will still have Fergie at the club. United is a big club which will always attract big names because of their global success and fan base.

We haven't been a successful club in sometime and we need someone at the club who has a name to entice players to stay and to acquire new ones. In some ways we can't afford to go in to the unknown and take a chance.

This. The board needs to show that it's willing to show ambition. They need to mitigate the effects of Moyes leaving. Seriously, with Moyes i felt each season we'd be guaranteed no lower than 8th, for the first time I have no idea where we will finish next season.

The big difference being he didnt manage porto. So he dosent really relate to your argument.

Sousa never managed in Portugal, though so you can't use him as an example of someone who had success in that league and couldn't translate it elsewhere.

I too am leery about Pereira, he inherited a very good team and it's got worse under his watch, but the portuguese league is arguably the fourth strongest in Europe, ahead of Italy and france. Their teams have been waltzing through the Europa league like it's their own backyard. The standard of competiton there isn't as awful as people make out.

Think about the player loss he's had to deal with though. I think he's done well to steady the ship and still be successful.

This. The board needs to show that it's willing to show ambition. They need to mitigate the effects of Moyes leaving. Seriously, with Moyes i felt each season we'd be guaranteed no lower than 8th, for the first time I have no idea where we will finish next season.

The Everton job is a massive job. It's similar with the United job in terms of the type of managers it will attract as not every manager can get the top, top jobs. We're a top 6 club, and someone will be filling in big shoes..

Whoever comes in will or should know the task at hand is massive.

Look at it this way, they'll be following the footsteps of a bloke who's just succeeded the most successful manager in football history. He ****s up at Everton and destroys what Moyes built... His career is over. They're tarred for life.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back