Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot of good posts here and interestin names in the mix. It's a massive decision which will shape the club for the next decade.
Perira, laudrup, Clark interest me. I'd consider Paul
Lambert and even Chris Houghton. Rafael is intriguing. Not popular but proven.
Martinez is the most likely but I'm
Not at all convinced
Lennon, bilic, makay and pullis no way.

I going to watch the Porto game later to see how Pereira's team play, I haven't seen much of them to be honest.

10 million is definitely a hefty fee, but appointing someone for free and having to sack him within 12-18 months would surely be even more costly?
I suppose it just boils down to the maths mate. Say we get someone on a free this year, pay him £2m and he doesn't work out: we sack him and give him an extra year's salary as payoff (so another £2m), and then we appoint someone next year who costs us £4m in compo (for argument's sake) and £2m in salary, then it totals £10m over two years.

But £10m on Laudrup is all our eggs in one basket. On top of the compo we have to pay his wage (presume £2m), and if it doesn't work out we have to give him a payoff (assume another £2m) AND then hire someone else, possibly paying THEIR team compo in the millions.

One year of Laudrup will cost us around £12.5m, including wages; If he fails, we are MONSTROUSLY screwed.

One year of Pereira will cost us just his wages, maybe £3m max. And if he fails..... then we pinch Laudrup this time next year, for nothing!

As an aside, presuming Cardiff would be owed compo for Mackay and he'll want a wage, I imagine the total cost for Pereira would be cheaper than Mackay. The same, presumably would be true with Celtic and Lennon, or Wigan and Martinez.

There'e simply no guarantee that Laudrup will succeed, so I think we have to be prudent and look around. How much compo would Ajax want for De Boer, for instance? Or Mainz for Tuchel? For that matter, WBA for Clarke?

If 10 million secures a big professional name, that creates hype and attracts players, a name that players will believe in and want to play for then it could end up being a bargain, much like Moyes became a bargain despite costing us 3 million in compensation.

I agree with the need for a big name like Laudrup. De Boer and Van Basten both fit that description. The alternative is a manager with a track record of outperforming on a small budget, such as Pereira, Tuchel or Rene Girard.

One thing's for certain, whoever we get needs to be installed before the start of the summer transfer window.

Last edited:
I suppose it just boils down to the maths mate. Say we get someone on a free this year, pay him £2m and he doesn't work out: we sack him and give him an extra year's salary as payoff (so another £2m), and then we appoint someone next year who costs us £4m in compo (for argument's sake) and £2m in salary, then it totals £10m over two years.

But £10m on Laudrup is all our eggs in one basket. On top of the compo we have to pay his wage (presume £2m), and if it doesn't work out we have to give him a payoff (assume another £2m) AND then hire someone else, possibly paying THEIR team compo in the millions.

One year of Laudrup will cost us around £12.5m, including wages; If he fails, we are MONSTROUSLY screwed.

One year of Pereira will cost us just his wages, maybe £3m max. And if he fails..... then we pinch Laudrup this time next year, for nothing!

As an aside, presuming Cardiff would be owed compo for Mackay and he'll want a wage, I imagine the total cost for Pereira would be cheaper than Mackay. The same, presumably would be true with Celtic and Lennon, or Wigan and Martinez.

There'e simply no guarantee that Laudrup will succeed, so I think we have to be prudent and look around. How much compo would Ajax want for De Boer, for instance? Or Mainz for Tuchel? For that matter, WBA for Clarke?

I agree with the need for a big name like Laudrup. De Boer and Van Basten both fit that description. The alternative is a manager with a track record of outperforming on a small budget, such as Pereira, Tuchel or Rene Girard.

One thing's for certain, whoever we get needs to be installed before the start of the summer transfer window.

Exactly.

At the minute it is simple:

Board's short list - Mackay, Hughes, Neville, Stubbs, Lennon,

Fans short list - Laudrup, Perriera (sp), Tuchel, Di Matteo,

That's the difference between our board and our fans - ambition

At the minute it is simple:

Board's short list - Mackay, Hughes, Neville, Stubbs, Lennon,

Fans short list - Laudrup, Perriera (sp), Tuchel, Di Matteo,

That's the difference between our board and our fans - ambition

Do you live in Bill's pocket mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back