Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't change the fact that we hired a Championship manager and he took us to top 6.

It's an extremely naive approach to say that just because Martinez is about to get relegated that he wouldn't be a good manager for us. No manager would find it easy with the squad he has, and i doubt there's many who would have gone out and won the FA Cup with that squad. Moyes certainly wouldn't have.

However, there is no guarantee he would success too. If we are to gamble I rather place the bet on Pereira not Martinez.

However, there is no guarantee he would success too. If we are to gamble I rather place the bet on Pereira not Martinez.

You'd rather gamble on a guy with zero Premier League experience and who currently manages in a two team league ?

I'd like Pereira myself but lets not pretend he's the 'sensible' appointment here. He's as much if not more of a risk than Martinez.

Does Martinez have a good record in the transfer market?

It means nothing. Even he made a tidy profit for his club before. He is about to take his side down and imagine the great amount of cash they are going to lose next season.

That's why we should go for Pereira. Class is permanent. His results in CL prove that he is a capable manager.

Lennon reached the same stage with Celtic.

The previous season Pereira couldn't get out of the group stage, then was knocked out of the Europa in the round of 32.

Doesn't change the fact that we hired a Championship manager and he took us to top 6.

It's an extremely naive approach to say that just because Martinez is about to get relegated that he wouldn't be a good manager for us. No manager would find it easy with the squad he has, and i doubt there's many who would have gone out and won the FA Cup with that squad. Moyes certainly wouldn't have.

Do you not think that if his side is good enough to win the FA Cup, then it's should be more than capable of staying in the PL?

Or does that merely point to the fact that 2 great performances can win you the Cup (as Wigan did this season) & that the real judge of his management should be the 36 league games they've played, of which, they've lost 19 & conceded as many goals as any other side in the division?

I think Martinez is a sensible appointment, we might struggle a bit at first, like the RS did playing under Brenda, but they picked it up and have admittedly started playing some good football.

He is also a genuinely nice guy and one that would respect the history and tradition of the football club.

You'd rather gamble on a guy with zero Premier League experience and who currently manages in a two team league ?

I'd like Pereira myself but lets not pretend he's the 'sensible' appointment here. He's as much if not more of a risk than Martinez.

Yeah lets go with Martinez with his "Premier League experience", what a stupid buzzword, what experience? Fighting relegation every year & getting relegated? Really is a easy option over the lad who's won back to back leagues and gone unbeaten in the process without his board backing him.

Lennon reached the same stage with Celtic.

The previous season Pereira couldn't get out of the group stage, then was knocked out of the Europa in the round of 32.

Porto did get out the group actually, then got beat by Malaga

We share different opinion obviously. In that sense, you'd rather gamble on a guy who has a winning rate of 20 odd % and about to take his side down to the mighty Championship?

And we have to pay compensation for Martinez and Pereira is out of contract.

We share different opinion obviously. In that sense, you'd rather gamble on a guy who has a winning rate of 20 odd % and about to take his side down to the mighty Championship?

And we have to pay compensation for Martinez and Pereira is out of contract.

Just look at the squad he has and the amount of money he has been given over the years.

Exactly. We are now a top 6 side. We need someone to lead us moving forward not backward.

Some people have massively unrealistic expectations, and clearly do not understand what we had in Moyes and how rare is was to do what he did.

I fear some fans are in for some major disappointments ahead.

We will only 'move forward' with money. End of. We could appoint the ghost of Sir Alf Ramsay, it won't matter at all.

The best we can hope for is a good coach who can follow Moyes blueprint, not make too many changes, hopefully not have to sell too much of the squad, and next season, aim to stay in the top 7/8.

This idea that somebody is going to come in and 'improve' on what Moyes did is just laughable. If there was someone out there better than Moyes, they would have got the Man Utd job.

Yeah lets go with Martinez with his "Premier League experience", what a stupid buzzword, what experience? Fighting relegation every year & getting relegated? Really is a easy option over the lad who's won back to back leagues and gone unbeaten in the process without his board backing him.

In a two team league.

Any bloke that can win the Portuguese title (ok, he had arguably the best side, but still), i'm sold on them joining us.

Although there is one thing that isn't sitting with me on Pereira. If he has won back-to-back championships, why are Porto looking rid of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back