Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand the Martinez reservations, but the mere fact of his relegation this season shouldn't be the only consideration. Let's not forget, the likes of Klopp and Benitez both suffered relegations earlier in their careers before going on to win trophies. Pereira's record before working his way up at Porto is, while not including a relegation, wholly unimpressive. Arsene Wenger's first managerial role was with Nancy-Lorraine - similarly to Martinez, he got them relegated whilst sustaining a lot of respect from other coaches.

Martinez is 39, the second (?) youngest manager in the league. He has an enormous amount of experience for his age, but he's still young. He'll learn from the relegation, just as he'll learn from the cup win. The bigger concern is that he didn't ever really seem to learn how to improve what he had at Wigan, although it's fair to say he lost key players far too regularly.

Man Utd didn't bring Moyes in because of his record. He was judged on his ethos, his ambition and determination - the assumption being that those characteristics will flourish in an environment with greater resources. The same sort of judgement should be made on Martinez. If he comes (and I'm still sure he'll be Kenwright's first choice) he'll have a significantly better squad to work with, a better wage structure and some small improvement in transfer budget. It's impossible to say how he'll do, but not impossible that he might do well.

I honestly think it may drag on for weeks.

Say Pereira stays at Porto - which is a distinct possibility - and Martinez pledges to give Wigan a year to try and get them back into the Premiership after having them relegated... where does that leave us?

Bill could turn to the likes of O'Neill for an emergency appointment, somebody to "steady the ship" with experience, or simply give in and be a complete cheapskate, **** all over the fans again and appoint Weir or Stubbs.

God help us.

Well there's always Zola, but then again IF he doesnt get Watford up, all you'll hear from Evertonians is, 'well he couldnt get Watford up and lost in play-off final, so he isnt good enough for us.......'.

No but seriously, too many of us cant see beyond the negatives!. Dont forget that the likes of Martinez have done wonders elsehwere (Swansea) and IMO, he did very well in keeping a mid table, championship side like Wigan up for as long as he did when having to sell or lose star assets at the club, year in, year out!.

When you are unable to get in the right, premier league standard of quality at ya club, then what do you expect? Your not gonna be up in the top half of the league are ya!. Barring a few players, Wigan had a championship standard team and that was always gonna catch up with them in end!.

But for me, with a better bunch of players, better quality and characters, he would get us going i believe!. Our squad of players as a lot more quality about em, alot more reserve and never say die attitude after being well drilled by Moyesy for years and i dont think that work would go to pot if Martinez took over, i just cant see it!.

Yeah he'll tweak it, put his own methods in place and stamp on the club, but we wont all of a sudden turn into bottom half, relegation fodder just cos he's in charge. And im not daft enough to know that IF he does take over he will scale the heights Moyes did this season, cos he wont, no matter who he brings in player wise, and thats the same for Pereira, who id prefer!. Either man will take time to get there ideas across to the team and it will take us time to adjust and are league standing will suffer slightly, it just will i believe.

So who ever the manager is, in there first full season, and maybe there next, they wont reach the heights of Moyesy due to obvious reasons of putting there own philosophies into place at the club, but that shouldnt make them failures!.

Due to the league finishings Moyesy got with us with a very sh!te budget, he is going to be a very hard act to follow for anyone, not just the likes of Martinez!.

I can understand the Martinez reservations, but the mere fact of his relegation this season shouldn't be the only consideration. Let's not forget, the likes of Klopp and Benitez both suffered relegations earlier in their careers before going on to win trophies. Pereira's record before working his way up at Porto is, while not including a relegation, wholly unimpressive. Arsene Wenger's first managerial role was with Nancy-Lorraine - similarly to Martinez, he got them relegated whilst sustaining a lot of respect from other coaches.

Martinez is 39, the second (?) youngest manager in the league. He has an enormous amount of experience for his age, but he's still young. He'll learn from the relegation, just as he'll learn from the cup win. The bigger concern is that he didn't ever really seem to learn how to improve what he had at Wigan, although it's fair to say he lost key players far too regularly.

Man Utd didn't bring Moyes in because of his record. He was judged on his ethos, his ambition and determination - the assumption being that those characteristics will flourish in an environment with greater resources. The same sort of judgement should be made on Martinez. If he comes (and I'm still sure he'll be Kenwright's first choice) he'll have a significantly better squad to work with, a better wage structure and some small improvement in transfer budget. It's impossible to say how he'll do, but not impossible that he might do well.
5m though,may as well go the extra mile and go for Laudrup who I think is respected more in the UK and Europe.

BLRHJRyCIAAlRTq.jpg

Very good post, Man u who have the most titles have also brought Moyes in who never won anything.

I don't particularly want Martinez but that's a great post that and spot on.

Couldnt agree more. The man needs a chance to prove his credentials. That relegation will of hurt him and made him think he'll never want to go through summat like that again, he will think about the things he got wrong, the decisions, tactics etc, etc and he will learn from those mistakes.

And people talk about him not sorting his defence but last season he went to a back 3 with wing backs to try and stop shipping goals and it worked and they stayed up!. In the summer he brought in Ramis to try and sure the defence up but he got injured for the season when he was coming good.

You cant blame Martinez for the errors his defence made in games, he doesnt play for them and he certainly doesnt tell them to do it either!. Yes, he could of looked for better quality in there, but clearly the better players dont want to be or play at Wigan, simple as, so he as to make do with signing players like Gary Caldwell, who is championship standard at best!.

To lose the calibre of players like Valencia, Palacios, N'Zogbia, Rodallega and Diame, season in, season out, and not be able to replace them with half the quality of those and only be able to bring in championship standard players and keep them up as long as he did and not changing his philosophy is some going in my eyes and thats why the likes of the sh!te, Villa and us are or have been keen on him, cos we can see past the negative of relegation but see his other qualites that he can bring to a side!.

Dont forget, were in a different class to Wigan, in stature, players wise, the lot!. He would do better with our team than he as at Wigan IMO, IF it's him we get?!.

Status
Not open for further replies.