Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes voices fears: "7th may be our realistic position"

Status
Not open for further replies.
7th has always been our realistic position.

Just, we have a habit of defying realistic expectations.

They have a billionaire owner currently clearing the mess left by O'Neill and his crazy signing policy. Lerner will back a more prudent man in the transfer market.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be a better option than 'sell the family silverware' Everton.

I honestly can't see how anyone can disagree with this. Villa are an infinitely more attractive choice as a club to manage than Everton are at the moment.

The only thing which makes Moyes leaving for Villa ludicrous is that Villa don't quite have enough to make a charge at the top four, so it would be ultimately a sideways step.

It's Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal for Moyes, a long shot would be Tottenham, or he moves to Celtic.

Our board is especially frustrating when you look at the table. We have only one more loss than City. The difference is we have more draws. If we had a 20 million pound striker I really think we'd be in the CL right now. Stoke, just two places below us, lost 7 more games. The RS lost three more than we did and will finish one spot above.

Three extra goals in three games.

The other thing you notice is for all the talk about what a "crazy" season this was the top 7 (not in order but just in terms of which teams are in) is exactly what every single person would have expected (although I guess technically Fulham could leapfrog us).

Will you say that after they sell Ashley Young or Downing this summer?
Yes. And they will sell Young only because he doesn't want to sign a new deal and they don't want to lose him for free, like Bolton with Elmander. There's no way they will allow Young AND Downing to leave during the summer. When they will clear a post-O'Neill mess they will be back investing money, it would be a good opportunity for Moyes, and for Villa probably as well, as he is doing much better on the market than O'Neill.

Season performance by points/position:

2004/05 61 (4th)

2005/06 50 (11th)

2006/07 58 (6th)

2007/08 65 (5th)

2008/09 63 (5th)

2009/10 61 (8th)

2010/11 51 or 52 or 54 (7th/8th)

Looking at that, low 50s shouldn't get you anywhere near 7th place usually.

You could say if 7th is the club's 'natural position' now then we're going to have to go some next year to even hit 7th spot. We're quite capable of turning in sub-60 point seasons and probably Moyes could justifiably downgrade his forecast below 7th place finishes.

We're at best, standing still; at worst, in decline.

Isn't it his job to motivate these players and get the best out of them? If that's his attitude maybe he should go somewhere else then. It's definately not the same Moyes as a few years ago, he just doesn't seem as hungry.

Maybe the job is wearing him down now.

2 seasons or so ago, I'd argue that were better than 7th.

But now, after not moving foward and peaking after the fa cup final...7th is what we are as a club.

Correct. We peaked at the FA Cup Final.

I can't find the thread but give him credit, GrandOldTeam absolutely nailed it at the time and everyone disagreed.

We deserve to be better than 7th!

We deserve people on the board who WANT to get us beyond 7th!

We deserve a Manager that has the means and the capability to take us beyond 7th...do you want that job Davie?

Season performance by points/position:

2004/05 61 (4th)

2005/06 50 (11th)

2006/07 58 (6th)

2007/08 65 (5th)

2008/09 63 (5th)

2009/10 61 (8th)

2010/11 51 or 52 or 54 (7th/8th)

Looking at that, low 50s shouldn't get you anywhere near 7th place usually.

You could say if 7th is the club's 'natural position' now then we're going to have to go some next year to even hit 7th spot. We're quite capable of turning in sub-60 point seasons and probably Moyes could justifiably downgrade his forecast below 7th place finishes.

We're at best, standing still; at worst, in decline.

Everyone else has lower points, United may win the league with NINE less than Chelsea did last season.

Everyone has been beating eachother so it's a poor yardstick.

Everyone else has lower points, United may win the league with NINE less than Chelsea did last season.

Everyone has been beating eachother so it's a poor yardstick.

I dont think it is. This year - as with every year mentioned above - top 6 places have hit just below 60 or the 60+ mark. If, as I suspect, we draw with Chelsea tomorrow it'd mean next season we'd have to improve by turning 4 of our draws into wins just to stand a chance of breaking into the top six again. Not impossible, but, given the evidence of the past two seasons, there's a trend emerging that suggests we wont do it...and that's before this summer's anticipated squad cull and all the disruption that entails.

Moyes is right to feel pesimistic.

If the right decisions are made with player sales and the money is used correctly from this, we will have a squad good enough to hit around 65 pts, which in past seasons has meant anywhere from 4th to 7th.

If the right decisions are made with player sales and the money is used correctly from this, we will have a squad good enough to hit around 65 pts, which in past seasons has meant anywhere from 4th to 7th.

If the money is handed over to the manager form player sales, if the right players are bought by Everton, if the opposition occupying the top six places dont strengthen and push on...

It's a long shot.

If the money is handed over to the manager form player sales, if the right players are bought by Everton, if the opposition occupying the top six places dont strengthen and push on...

It's a long shot.

correct, it's all ifs and buts, however I am a positive guy and the reason I still buy season tickets is because I always remain hopeful and that's all we can do as evertonians.

will be hard next season, the two mancs, chelsea ,arse, spurs, red****e all getting stronger, throw in villa with a decent manager ,bolton and 7th is about as good as it gets unless something changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back