My fear going forward - what about the youth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. While we make average signings we have a whole host of defenders plus Tom Davies who have at the very least not looked out of place when they have played for the first team. Now (while our normal first team players underperform) would be the reflect time to give some of them a go.

So, nearly twelve months in to the Moshiri regime and I think its fair to say, there have been some positives but also negatives.

Whilst the supposed stadium progress, to the removal of the previous management regime can be looked favourably upon, the dreadful summer transfer business and lack of credible PR from the club is leaving a lot to be desired.

Team results are also neither here nor there.

There is however a major issue I feel isn't being addressed and doesn't seem to be generating much discussion within the fan base.

The youth.

Our under 23's are top of the league; our under 18's are progressing well yet I dont see a direct route into the first team for them right now. We had a supposed golden generation, both Martinez/Unsworth and Osman's words yet not one of them is near the starting eleven and when they have been, they have been displaced immediately (Holgate).

Dowell/Davies/Walsh/Holgate/Galloway - are they really worse than Oviedo/McCarthy/Gibson/Kone/Valencia/Cleverley etc...?

These lads have formed great teams at various age levels and always impressed when either given a chance in the first team or at another league club.

Koeman is here for the short term, we all know that. His reluctance to bring in the youth shows me this; as does his career history and length of contract. The context of his arrival (i.e. promise of significant funds) also stands up to this train of thought.

Have we just abandoned the route into the first team and the values which the club, so brilliantly, produce young players and recruit young players from around the North West and further?

Has the appointment of Koeman effectively kissed good bye to the chances of these guys getting the opportunity to become first team material? What if we do suddenly spend the riches we supposedly have on players?

We have the basis of an excellent core of young players who are both successful at there league level but also when on loan; they form key parts of national set ups yet we dont even hear about them from either Walsh nor Koeman. I am led to believe that RK doesnt even attend there matches.

How can this be? How can we have forgotten one of the principles which makes the club what it is and has been so significant to our recent history?

Where is the blue print for the lads to progress to the team? Its all well and good having the academy route and the tools in place but if our head honcho isnt prepared to play them then what does this tell us about the strategy at the higher levels of the club? Equally, can we afford to waste the 'Koeman Years' to Liverpool who are transforming there route into the first team under Klopp?

Our new Head of Academy; what do we hear from him? Silence.

I fear our youth will be forgotten about and the supposed golden generation wasted whilst we spend big money on players rather than look at what we have inside.

One of the fundamental values we have as a club is being silenced and as a club we simply cant let that happen.

I'd much rather buy in proven world class talent (if we could) than risk using youth team players. Only exception is if there is a potential world class player like Rooney and I'm confident if we had one they would be getting decent first team play time.

We wont buy world class proven talent though.
Thats half the point I am making.

I don't know a great deal about Saints, or indeed Koeman's time there, but they have a huge reputation for developing young players. Did Koeman introduce many to the first team in his spell at the club?

....RK doesn't seem enamoured with the majority of his first team squad so the only reason I can see why none of the youngsters are getting a run is because he thinks they are either not good enough or not ready. Going forward, it's going to be increasingly difficult for young players to breakthrough if RK and SW are effective in the transfer market. I doubt anybody will complain if we have a fine side winning most of it's football matches.

Long-term, you have to think youth players will have to be very special to make the massive step up.

Kidman was talking about Davies less than a week ago in an interview unless I'm mistaken, also his ommision from Saturday's squad was likely down to him playing three games during the international break with the England squad.

Kenny also came out with an interview this week sanctioned by the club, so not exactly true there not getting mentioned at all.

Would you rather we have not bought gueye and have played Davies this season? Same for bolasie and Dowell? And presumably you would hope we don't bring in any more midfielders or defenders for the foreseeable future in order to give the young lads more opportunities?
Do I have concerns, ofc I do, but it's twelve games into the new manager so way too early to form any clear opinion on how he will use any academy lads.

Davies had a knock apparently mate after - as you said - playing three games.

They will play if they are good enough.

Davies and Holgate are the only ones ready IMO and that's why they are the two who have been in and around the first-team picture.

As a club we have always given youth the opportunity and we have seen Davies in glimpses . Every time he has played he has excelled. Including against Koemans Southampton last season.

Yet he can't get in ahead of Gibson, McCarthy etc?

McCarthy has been injured so barely played for us.

He deserved a chance to get back in.

Koeman sees the players every day in training and has forgotten more about football than you or I will ever know.

If Davies was fully ready, he'd be starting games. He clearly isn't yet.

Gibson hasn't played or even featured in a squad IIRC so he's clearly ahead of him in the pecking order.

If our Under 23s are top of the league then surely its better to keep them together for a bit and breed a winning mentality instead of just throwing them into the first team for all sorts of Park End fatties to boo their every touch if they havnt scored a hat trick by half time?

There is a massive step up anyway. I have said it before but I have a hard time believing that any manager ignores good young players for the hell of it. If they are good enough and ready they will play.

....the opposite view is that we're looking to bring one or two individuals through so having a solid side at youth level is less priority than having one brilliant youngster.

A key indicator for me is how players have done whilst out on loan. Accepting it's not a perfect gauge (some will point to Barkley's loan spells), I would expect any youngster ready for a Premiership start to have had a real impact playing in the lower league. I can only think Walsh has achieved that at Yeovil.

Hopefully if they fulfill they're potential they will get a chance. A nice balance is needed but only if they are good enough

Davies played for the u23's against City so not sure where this 'he had a knock' or 'played a load for England' has come from.

Played on the 10th, 12th, and 15th for the enland under 19s mate. Playing a game on the 19th in the first team would have been asking a lot more than the 20th in a much less demanding under 23s game.

Status
Not open for further replies.