Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
…you’d think the full back options we have/had defended like Franco Baresi. Kenny was awful at both ends of the pitch, it still surprises me Lampard gave him game time over Patterson.
To be fair to Dave, Patterson has looked, at best, like a raw youth player this preseason. I'm desperate for him to succeed and will be giving him the benefit of the doubt because I'd rather see him than Coleman and nobody came out of the Minnesota game with any credit at all.

Let's see how he does with at least 10 starts under his belt. We saw how Mykolenko went from an abomination to reasonable performer. Hopefully he'll prove Dave wrong.

The modern day fb does fit in to 2 categories. They are either defensive (Myko) or a flying wb like this lad. Only the really top guys do both jobs well.
Case In point is Coleman, season after season he was suspect at the back but marauded forward and caused problems (before his inevitable row z lazed guided cross).
Patterson will give us far more positive than negative and Godfrey covered more than decent.

The modern day fb does fit in to 2 categories. They are either defensive (Myko) or a flying wb like this lad. Only the really top guys do both jobs well.
Case In point is Coleman, season after season he was suspect at the back but marauded forward and caused problems (before his inevitable row z lazed guided cross).
Patterson will give us far more positive than negative and Godfrey covered more than decent.
Mykolenko has scored a couple of nice goals since he came and he's only getting started. I wouldn't class him as primarily defensive. I think he's a decent replacement for Digne who wasn't supposed to have been sold but on the other hand wasn't great in the last year or so.

Mykolenko has scored a couple of nice goals since he came and he's only getting started. I wouldn't class him as primarily defensive. I think he's a decent replacement for Digne who wasn't supposed to have been sold but on the other hand wasn't great in the last year or so.

I hate to speak too soon but I've got a feeling we'll come out of that Mykolenko/Digne transfer swing looking better.

Doesn't float my boat and he isn't a patch on Digne. He is more natural defensive though

I'm Scottish and I am shocked at some of the posts on here. Patterson is well known for his commitment and strength in the tackle. No one in Scotland has ever considered Nathan a winger and has always played right back or wing back. His biggest attributes are his mentality and aggression - basically a right sided Kieran Tierney.

Patterson relishes the defensive side of the game. I believe this david poster may have an agenda? He is describing a completely different player from what I watched the last years. I can only assume he hasn't seen him play much.
I’m shocked by some of the comments on your own fans forum regarding Everton and it’s support. Not just a few but loads of total bellends.The vast majority of anything negative towards this lad is the transfer fee which even your own fans question. We are all going to give time to settle in to the team and hope he comes good. You will always get the odd one who won’t but that’s not exclusive to us is it?

I’m shocked by some of the comments on your own fans forum regarding Everton and it’s support. Not just a few but loads of total bellends.The vast majority of anything negative towards this lad is the transfer fee which even your own fans question. We are all going to give time to settle in to the team and hope he comes good. You will always get the odd one who won’t but that’s not exclusive to us is it?

I don't understand this. Which fans forum are you on about? I don't support either of the uglies, btw.

There is an ignorance about Scottish football down south generally. We don't do ourselves any favours in talking up our game I must admit, but folk on here talking about loaning a player like Patterson out to lower league English sides etc... is wild to anyone that has a bit of respect for other football nations outside the EPL and the overhyped Championship.

Read that article in full. If you do you see that Gemmill as Scotland youth team manager played Patterson higher up the right side of the pitch and played someone else at Right Back.

In fact, all his plaudits for Patterson are about him as an attacker.

That just underlines what some of us already know: he's a good attacker not that he's a good defender.

Thanks for posting that, it was illuminating.

Read that article in full. If you do you see that Gemmill as Scotland youth team manager played Patterson higher up the right side of the pitch and played someone else at Right Back.

In fact, all his plaudits for Patterson are about him as an attacker.

That just underlines what some of us already know: he's a good attacker not that he's a good defender.

Thanks for posting that, it was illuminating.

“Playing as a right midfielder wouldn’t have been Nathan’s preference but he knew he could help the team."

“So, of course I would back him to go and confirm himself defensively and show he can succeed in the Premier League, offensively and defensively."

You're welcome, Dave.

I'm Scottish and I am shocked at some of the posts on here. Patterson is well known for his commitment and strength in the tackle. No one in Scotland has ever considered Nathan a winger and has always played right back or wing back. His biggest attributes are his mentality and aggression - basically a right sided Kieran Tierney.

Patterson relishes the defensive side of the game. I believe this david poster may have an agenda? He is describing a completely different player from what I watched the last years. I can only assume he hasn't seen him play much.
Dave hates all fullbacks. In fact, there isn’t an Everton player post 1960’s that he rates.

Most of us haven’t seen enough of Patterson to form any sort of opinion. Only Dave who has seen him play a half here and there for the national team.

And yes Dave has an agenda.

He also hates the new stadium, bricks, any DoF, Duncan Ferguson, cones and world renowned stadium architects.

Scott Gemmill played him as a stand in right mid years ago for the under 21s against the Czechs and Lithuania lol

Funny that Gerrard always played Tavernier higher and Patterson more defensive and Clarke has always trusted him at RB and RWB also. Gemmil is admitting here that right midfield was a "stand in" position, praising Patterson for his mentality to adapt even in positions he is not comfortable in.

He also goes at length to discuss his physicality and mental edge he has to become a superb defender for Everton FC.

It's bizarre - i've never seen such bitterness towards a player from a fan, especially when the guy has barely played a competitive match for the club due to injury.

The long walk back from "he's terrible/should never have signed/loan him to lower league then the desperation to create a new "he can only play winger" narrative when he has a half decent game in pre-season. Scary, disturbing behaviour.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back