Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you see him getting up and down that line?

Every time I've seen him play for rangers, Scotland and now Everton he is high up the pitch and plays as an out and out winger. And that's in both 3 at the back and four at the back systems. We'd be utterly 'kin mullered against PL outfits with a FB playing that way.

He isn't a complete duffer. I can see that he linls uop well with balls to feet (and his crossing is usually better than those tripe efforts tonight) but FFS he needs a spell out at a Championship club to give him some defensive capabilities. Clear as day that is.
He will be in the championship one way or another next season.

Kenny has put his hand up in the last few weeks tbf to him.

The two full backs were just crazy signings for January in the middle of a relegation fight.
Selling Digne might just be the worst transfer decision for a long time, and there is seriously stiff competition.
which is what anyone with sense was saying at the time and that's not even to slate the players but we seriously downgraded at left-back (Mykolenko was fine tonight and especially all things considered but look at the opposition, you'd be worried if he wasn't) and we didn't improve in the immediacy at right-back, because Patterson isn't ready.

And we paid £29m for the pleasure.

Patterson shouldn't have stayed on though for this simple reason - Kenny offers more defensive solidity that Lampard, right now, trusts.

And that's where Patterson is right now, through no fault of his own. It's just that real life isn't FIFA and you can't sign a lad with such little experience and expect him to be thrown into English football.
He has played for Rangers in the Europa League. He played well first half and we wasn't exactly under serious attacking threat was we.

Well this is another factor though

Look, I think the lad will be a good player. He absolutely wasn't what we needed right now but that's not based on tonight or saying he's a bad player, not one bit. But we needed a starting RB and we got Rangers' second-string, youth product RB.

If we were safely in mid-table it'd be completely understandable, but it was like a severe misunderstanding of where we were.

But, stay up and I think he proves to be in the long run a good acquisition. I thought he was tidy on the ball and looked lively but the system wasn't working.

I would say the exact same thing about Myko except the nice words at the end

He will be in the championship one way or another next season.

Kenny has put his hand up in the last few weeks tbf to him.
Coleman and Kenny are the first and second choices. No question. FL must be seeing that and want to give the lad first team football somewhere to hand him a fighting chance at contributing to this club.

I dont even consider him to be a full back, or wing back even...he's an out and out winger. We have El Ghazi, Townsend, Iwobi, Gray, Richarlison, Gordon who all do that better.

Flummoxed as to why the kid was bought.

Patterson shouldn't have stayed on though for this simple reason - Kenny offers more defensive solidity that Lampard, right now, trusts.

And that's where Patterson is right now, through no fault of his own. It's just that real life isn't FIFA and you can't sign a lad with such little experience and expect him to be thrown into English football.
Correct.

Coleman and Kenny are the first and second choices. No question. FL must be seeing that and want to give the lad first team football somewhere to hand him a fighting chance at contributing to this club.

I dont even conssider him to be a full back or wing back even...he's an out and out winger. We have El Ghazi, Townsend, Iwobi, Gray, Richarlison, Gordon who all do that better.

Flummoxed as to why the kid was bought.
A punt.

We had definitely been looking at him for a while, Brands transfer that got left on a table, picked by Benitez and bought because Moshiri was sticking by him.

Classic.

With that fuss about him in Rangers and Scotland, I thought I would be seeing more. Perhaps, that's why I felt he was a little bit disappointing, to be honest. His defensive duties is almost zero in this game. When going forward, he does too little overlapping runs and too little good passes/crosses into the box.
Maybe Patterson is more of a Right Back than a Wing Back, so he's in an unfamiliar role? This game shows he is just 20 and have a lot to learn. I hope he's wont be too let down by the substitution - I mean Seamus Coleman really hit his stride when he was about 23-24?

Jonjoe Kenny played at RB, you could see the difference is making that forward runs and passes. Evident from that assist.

Right player, wrong time.

My hope is we stay up and next season he gets a good, developmental loan elsewhere or a run in the team.

I think, if we do stay up, the first option is more likely though, which means we need to get another right-back.

I have always been happy with Patterson as a signing but also always thought that for the cost we could have gone and got a ready made replacement for Coleman in - which we could have done, £11m is a hell of a lot of money to European clubs in the midst of a pandemic.

Can you see him getting up and down that line?

Every time I've seen him play for rangers, Scotland and now Everton he is high up the pitch and plays as an out and out winger. And that's in both 3 at the back and 4 at the back systems. We'd be utterly 'kin mullered against PL outfits with a FB playing that way.

He isn't a complete duffer. I can see that he links up well with balls to feet (and his crossing is usually better than those tripe efforts tonight) but FFS he needs a spell out at a Championship club to give him some defensive capabilities. Clear as day that is.
Shouldn't be a problem next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back