Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you see him getting up and down that line?

Every time I've seen him play for rangers, Scotland and now Everton he is high up the pitch and plays as an out and out winger. And that's in both 3 at the back and 4 at the back systems. We'd be utterly 'kin mullered against PL outfits with a FB playing that way.

He isn't a complete duffer. I can see that he links up well with balls to feet (and his crossing is usually better than those tripe efforts tonight) but FFS he needs a spell out at a Championship club to give him some defensive capabilities. Clear as day that is.
Wow, did you watch the game m8? Did you not see Lampard shout at him to get up the field in the first few minutes?

'Not a complete duffer' oh how very nice of you to say ??

'Clear as day'... the only thing getting in the way of your myopic view is your 'Clear as day' Bias.
Your slip is showing pal!!!!

Right player, wrong time.

My hope is we stay up and next season he gets a good, developmental loan elsewhere or a run in the team.

I think, if we do stay up, the first option is more likely though, which means we need to get another right-back.

I have always been happy with Patterson as a signing but also always thought that for the cost we could have gone and got a ready made replacement for Coleman in - which we could have done, £11m is a hell of a lot of money to European clubs in the midst of a pandemic.
The lad on loan from Boro playing at Forest looks a good prospect: Spence. I'd rather get a player in from our Championship than the SPL.

Wow, did you watch the game m8? Did you not see Lampard shout at him to get up the field in the first few minutes?

'Not a complete duffer' oh how very nice of you to say ??

'Clear as day'... the only thing getting in the way of your myopic view is your 'Clear as day' Bias.
Your slip is showing pal!!!!
No, I saw him playing pushed up as a right winger for almost all of that first half. I wasn't hoodwinked by that BS artist Sally McCoist bigging him up.

I was underwhelmed by what I saw, but not surprised. It's why FL has sat him on the bench when we play games against decent opposition.

The formation killed him, and Mykolenko to a lesser extent in the first half. It was utterly ridiculous to set up with 3 centre halves against zero forwards. It meant the two centre halves moved into full back areas and conjested the wide areas that the wing backs wanted, braithwaite to a lesser extent but watch it back, numerous times Kenny was 5 yards away from Patterson. Meant the space was totally and utterly conjested. Not a chance a run in behind was on because of it. On either flank. We managed it, what once, or twice, the full half.

Frank, to his credit, noticed it and changed it at half time.

The four allowed both wide men to drift in, dragging them more narrow and created the space for Rondon's first, with space finally for Kenny to get in to rather than two players dragging the opposition into the same space.

His touch and crisp passing was very good on the first half, but did look a bit hesitant to take his man on, probably lack of match sharpness. Made some great runs that Townsend in particular failed to see or wasn't confident in his ability to find him. It was played to him when he was covered the whole half. Due to our lethargic passing and lack of urgency.

He's a player. Relax. It's money well spent.

No, I saw him playing pushed up as a right winger for almost all of that first half. I wasn't hoodwinked by that BS artist Sally McCoist bigging him up.

I was underwhelmed by what I saw, but not surprised. It's why FL has sat him on the bench when we play games against decent opposition.
? Think everyone on here is of the same opinion regarding yourself, Div!! ?

The lad on loan from Boro playing at Forest looks a good prospect: Spence. I'd rather get a player in from our Championship than the SPL.
I don't mind where they're from as long as they have enough experience to judge and ultimately Patterson doesn't which is why he's been left.

I'd love him to get a run in the side but Everton aren't in a position where they can afford that.

The formation killed him, and Mykolenko to a lesser extent in the first half. It was utterly ridiculous to set up with 3 centre halves against zero forwards. It meant the two centre halves moved into full back areas and conjested the wide areas that the wing backs wanted, braithwaite to a lesser extent but watch it back, numerous times Kenny was 5 yards away from Patterson. Meant the space was totally and utterly conjested. Not a chance a run in behind was on because of it. On either flank. We managed it, what once, or twice, the full half.

Frank, to his credit, noticed it and changed it at half time.

The four allowed both wide men to drift in, dragging them more narrow and created the space for Rondon's first, with space finally for Kenny to get in to rather than two players dragging the opposition into the same space.

His touch and crisp passing was very good on the first half, but did look a bit hesitant to take his man on, probably lack of match sharpness. Made some great runs that Townsend in particular failed to see or wasn't confident in his ability to find him. It was played to him when he was covered the whole half. Due to our lethargic passing and lack of urgency.

He's a player. Relax. It's money well spent.
lol

Kenny shifted over there because he had to as there was a kid 40 yards up the pitch when he should have been back in his own half on many occasions. THAT is what FL spotted and changed up from at HT. He then got a solid back line AND someone who could attack around the back of Boreham.

This is the reason we haven't seen Patterson in a PL game. We'd be battered down the right by any half decent left sided attacking player.

Seen enough of the lad to know - at this moment in time - he's a winger adapted to play at FB but is only fit for purpose in that latter role in the SPL.

I don't mind where they're from as long as they have enough experience to judge and ultimately Patterson doesn't which is why he's been left.

I'd love him to get a run in the side but Everton aren't in a position where they can afford that.
You had it spot on before by suggesting we'd spent out nearly £30M to solve the LB and RB positions in January and, at this stage, it looks like folly and a waste of cash...certainly for the short term.

Is Sally McCoist his agent by any chance. FFS, he was determined to make him sound like Cafu...even when he was getting crosses snuffed out.

He's a winger as far as I can see...and we have them falling out of cupboards at this club. As soon as we switched to a back four with Kenny on that side after the break you could see what we were missing.

The lad cant defend. If he has a future at the club he needs to get RB experience in the Championship and making mistakes there away from us.
Sally McCoist???,

lol

Kenny shifted over there because he had to as there was a kid 40 yards up the pitch when he should have been back in his own half on many occasions. THAT is what FL spotted and changed up from at HT. He then got a solid back line AND someone who could attack around the back of Boreham.

This is the reason we haven't seen Patterson in a PL game. We'd be battered down the right by any half decent left sided attacking player.

Seen enough of the lad to know - at this moment in time - he's a winger adapted to play at FB but is only fit for purpose in that latter role in the SPL.

Whereas Kenny, just what, 12 months ago, wasn't fit for purpose in either full back or winger role in the SPL. Literally a joke figure in the league along with Duffy.

You have a weird infatuation with this young lad. I note now you add caveats to your posts in respect of his ability, at this time etc, pretty much says it all to me. You know you'll be proven wrong, but stubbornness and nailing your colours to the mast early doors without seeing him play, much, if at all, prior to signing, means you have condemned him to the not good enough category. The cavaets, that weren't there before, tell a different story however.

Last edited:
With that fuss about him in Rangers and Scotland, I thought I would be seeing more. Perhaps, that's why I felt he was a little bit disappointing, to be honest. His defensive duties is almost zero in this game. When going forward, he does too little overlapping runs and too little good passes/crosses into the box.
Maybe Patterson is more of a Right Back than a Wing Back, so he's in an unfamiliar role? This game shows he is just 20 and have a lot to learn. I hope he's wont be too let down by the substitution - I mean Seamus Coleman really hit his stride when he was about 23-24?

Jonjoe Kenny played at RB, you could see the difference is making that forward runs and passes. Evident from that assist.

He couldn’t make any overlapping runs in the first half. Kenny was obsessed with being out there when he shouldn’t have been. Thankfully the oppo were crap or we’d have been minced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back