Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s very few strikers who are good enough to completely change the way a team plays. Only the very top bracket ones can act as both play makers and consistent goal scorers.

If you dropped prime Messi Suarez Aguero into some of the recent Everton teams then yes, they’d undoubtedly help the build up and goalscoring. Put a striker like Lewandowski into some of the recent Everton teams however and I’m not sure we’d make that many chances for him.

If we get to a position where we’re making chances galore and Maupay is passing them up then fine we can talk about whether he’s a proven prem scorer or not, but recently we’ve not even been making that many chances. Anyone other than some of the best strikers of all time are going to struggle upfront for us until we start having more of the ball and creating more.

Those players didn't win anything and now even worse ones are coming. If Everton keep buying players like this then you will die before you see a trophy
cropped-58655491_2381155358771579_8959443131124678656_n.jpg

For every Onana (high fee, high risk, high reward) signing, we also need to make clear, tangible improvements to the squad.

Newcastle are a perfect example of this recently - apart from Guimaraes, and Isak this week, they’ve made pretty boring signings really. Trippier? Decent player. Targett? Decent player. Neither of them get close to the top 6 teams but their progress is clear as day.

I see the importance of putting our resources in players that have a lot of upside, but for every Isak for £70m you need a Targett for £10m.

It’s the middle signings I think we should avoid such as Tosun for £20m, Bolasie for £25m, Gylfi £45m.

Maupay, just turned 26, for £14m and £70/80k a week for 10 goals a season (especially when he’s not just a poacher, he’s a menace and would instantly be one of our best players), is exactly the right move to allow us to buy the likes of Onana.

We’re not the only team who bid for him either, and Thelwell has shown that any player who doesn’t make the cut will be moved on at speed. It’s low risk, medium reward. Sensible.

There’s very few strikers who are good enough to completely change the way a team plays. Only the very top bracket ones can act as both play makers and consistent goal scorers.

If you dropped prime Messi Suarez Aguero into some of the recent Everton teams then yes, they’d undoubtedly help the build up and goalscoring. Put a striker like Lewandowski into some of the recent Everton teams however and I’m not sure we’d make that many chances for him.

If we get to a position where we’re making chances galore and Maupay is passing them up then fine we can talk about whether he’s a proven prem scorer or not, but recently we’ve not even been making that many chances. Anyone other than some of the best strikers of all time are going to struggle upfront for us until we start having more of the ball and creating more.
Maupay plays as a support striker, we're going to have to change the way we play to accommodate him. This signing makes no sense at all. A striker who rarely scores and who plays in a front two is supposed to be the catalyst for change in a team that creates few chances and plays one up front? I don't get it.

Maupay plays as a support striker, we're going to have to change the way we play to accommodate him. This signing makes no sense at all. A striker who rarely scores and who plays in a front two is supposed to be the catalyst for change in a team that creates few chances and plays one up front? I don't get it.
Richarlison was arguably a support striker coming in off the left.

Because he wasn’t a 9 and he wasn’t a winger.

I’m not comparing the 2 players like for like, but I don’t think we have to completely change the way we play to accommodate him.

He’s a striker who does score albeit not lots, but what can we get that’s better, available and for similar money….!?

Richarlison was arguably a support striker coming in off the left.

Because he wasn’t a 9 and he wasn’t a winger.
He didn't play in a front 2, and last season he was our centre forward most of the time because we had no actual strikers. A bit like now, really.

We play a system where Gordon and Gray play off the sides of our CF as support strikers. That's where Maupay will play. Consider him our Richarlison replacement, he has a very similar goal return and impact over the last 3 years for Brighton. Broja or Brereton Diaz will be the cover for DCL.

32 year old Teemu Pukki who has scored 22 Premier league goals?

22 in his last two seasons at twice relegated Norwich, yes.

Compared to 26 year old Neal Maupay who has scored 16 goals for midtable Brighton in his last two seasons.

I know who would be cheaper too.

Status
Not open for further replies.