New Everton Stadium Discussion

You make it sound terrible.

Not at all.....Just stating the facts. There is obviously a lot of room for subjective opinion regarding the aesthetics of different stadium layouts. BMD has good scale (on 3 sides). It should also have good unity, excellent views and obviously the good clean lines of any new stadium..... but it is basic compared to say Spurs. Whether or not that is a particularly good or bad thing overall is yet to be seen.

As regards boxes. They still represent the ultimate in luxury and income. Arsenal have approx 146. Spurs have 80 large exec boxes, Villa have over 100, Liverpool have over 60. We have just 22 (I think). That is a massive disparity and if were supposed to maximising income it is slightly puzzling. Those other stadia also have whole elevated corporate tiers offering more exclusive and superior views. Our location might've also made boxes convertible to all-year-round hotel suites..... I don't think Loge suites offer similar flexibility nor revenue streams.

There is space to add more if the boxes we have are continually sold out and their is demand for it so I wouldn't worry. Personally don't think we'll sell out what we have.

Also a huge section of that west stand is set up for premium seating and all of that needs to be sold first as no one is buying a box while there are cheaper wining and dining options.

Mate it's gonna be amazing, what's the problem on the waterfront that lot over the park will be seething telling ye.

I think this is a bit of a false premise, and the vast majority of them are not really bothered tbh. Yes some cranks are against it, but there have been lots of them on other forums who have expressed views of hoping it goes ahead and even saying it will be good for the city etc. They'll be already up to 61k capacity and practically all paid for by the time we move in..... so I honestly can't see them "seething" at all, unless we really turn it around on the pitch too. Please god!

There is space to add more if the boxes we have are continually sold out and their is demand for it so I wouldn't worry. Personally don't think we'll sell out what we have.

Also a huge section of that west stand is set up for premium seating and all of that needs to be sold first as no one is buying a box while there are cheaper wining and dining options.
I was surprised at how much they had allocated to that. It looks like they only have 50 or 60 'standard' seats on each end. (as a well as a smaller section within the east stand)

Last edited:

It’s not noticeable. Nobody would have noticed if the documents didn’t say that the curve of the roof was 4ft lower to bring it under a threshold for building height (medium v tall).

Christ, the misery on this thread is something to behold. We are getting an incredible new stadium. Enjoy it, you miserable &@&&

I don't see any misery.... it's a stadium discussion forum.

Yes, we are getting an incredible new stadium. We should be, we are paying a lot of money and as yet have still not secured the funding.... to the point where it may even be forcing the sale of the club. There was a reduction in ambition after the failed CWG bid and some of this has been slightly covered up by the rather cosmetic alterations due to heritage/planning concerns.

There is absolutely nothing in country that comes close to it, aesthetically.

I genuinely don’t even see that there can be an argument about that!

I can’t even think what the runner-up would be, it stands head and shoulders above everything else.

Spurs’ ground is special inside, but it’s horrendously clad on the outside.

City’s ground was impressive in the late 90s when it was conceived, not now.

The Emirates is a mini Wembley, and its big brother only has a big arch going for it.

Old Trafford and Anfield are Frankenstein’s monsters. St James’ Park is even more lopsided than those.

Villa Park, Elland Road and Stamford Bridge are fine in a bog-standard decent PL outfit kind of way.

West Ham’s is not a football stadium…

I mean, our new ground just wins hands down.
You are only talking about the external view. This has no effect whatsoever on the stadium's performance as a viewing or atmosphere enhancing platform.
Yeh looks like most other modern bowls! ?

It's going to be one of the most iconic, best looking stadiums in the world
View attachment 170510

Yes... from the outside it looks great. However, you spend a few mins looking at the outside as you approach.... then 2 hrs inside. All camera angles are also from inside.

For me the outside could've been clad with rusting metal, ivy or psychedelic illuminated balloons for all I care. It's only the internal architecture that dictates its performance as a stadium.

You are only talking about the external view. This has no effect whatsoever on the stadium's performance as a viewing or atmosphere enhancing platform.

Yes... from the outside it looks great. However, you spend a few mins looking at the outside as you approach.... then 2 hrs inside. All camera angles are also from inside.

For me the outside could've been clad with rusting metal, ivy or psychedelic illuminated balloons for all I care. It's only the internal architecture that dictates its performance as a stadium.
The stadium has been designed with acoustics in mind.

I’m not sure what you can judge from flat renderings of an empty interior. That tells you nothing of its atmosphere.

Whilst that much is true, the inside is relevant for two hours every fortnight whereas the city and its visitors have to look at the outside 24/7. I've not been inside any of the three graces or either cathedral but they are instantly recognisable as symbols of the city.

I bet some spod was whinging when they designed the cathedrals ' but depth of the choir benches will reduce baritone volume by 8%'

Whilst that much is true, the inside is relevant for two hours every fortnight whereas the city and its visitors have to look at the outside 24/7. I've not been inside any of the three graces or either cathedral but they are instantly recognisable as symbols of the city.

I bet some spod was whinging when they designed the cathedrals ' but depth of the choir benches will reduce baritone volume by 8%'
While that may be true, ultimately football stadia should be judged on its primary purpose - hosting football matches. The rest is, to an extent, frivolous.

I'm made up with the stadium's location and appearance because I do truly believe it'll be iconic with its design; however, I'll judge it on how it is as a stadium.

Let's not beat around the bush, our beloved Goodison is known for its bear-pit atmosphere, closeness to the pitch and intensity. It's iconic because of it.

Likewise, Anfield's design is horrendous: it looks like it's been put together by a child; however, it's iconic status does not come from how it looks.

What I'm saying is that we should be ensuring that the stadium is not merely an aesthetically pleasing stadium, but instead it must be fit for purpose.

Whether it's great for tourists or not should come after if it does the job for the people who turns up for two hours every fortnight.

Yes... from the outside it looks great. However, you spend a few mins looking at the outside as you approach.... then 2 hrs inside.

Yeah, most of that time is spent watching the football. Acoustic studies have taken place and used as part of the design. A good seat, a good atmosphere, a decent concourse and good footy on the pitch is all we need isn't it?

Exterior aesthetics are far more important than interior aesthetics when all the right basic facilities of the interior are in place.

The stadium has been designed with acoustics in mind.

I’m not sure what you can judge from flat renderings of an empty interior. That tells you nothing of its atmosphere.

Stadium designers often say they have designed for atmosphere but it is rarely the case or normally just token effort.... particularly with US stadium architects.

You can judge to a certain extent by looking at the proximity and roof geometry with respect to and in proportion to the volume of fans below (this is very poor at the north end, although the away fans in the corner may actually benefit slightly). This can also relate to rake angle and c-values of the stand below which again can determine how people project their voices and how it reflects off the roof above.

There is also a difference when considering the atmosphere of stadium as whole (in which case you might opt for a dome effect as at Ajax), or perhaps just focusing on the atmospheric qualities of the more partisan home end, housing the most vociferous fans, in which case you might opt for a slightly downward sloping roof (as at Dortmund). Of course some times those design requirements then conflict.

The arched roof combined with corner sections of the home stand might be more acoustically efficient than it appears.... but that would've been greater still for the larger original south stand that placed a greater volume of fans directly under and closer to its reflective roof surface.

Of course as a simple bowl it will also have better unity and less fragmentation than say GP, so that plus increased capacity should mean improved atmosphere generally.... but the north stand is a bit of a non-event in this respect.

It is going to be a beautiful stadium sat on what we have always wanted 'The Royal Blue Mersey'. Much needed as Goodison is basically not fit for purpose by todays standards. We should all just accept and brace our new ground and not nit pick and find problems with it........if you want to find problems just look at our present ground. Great memories and what a history but well out of date

Hydroponics should mean a roof doesn't even have to be retractable. Saddens me a bit that an indoor stadium isn't to be another Everton first. There would be many benefits to an indoor stadium.

Having said that, I'm still happy with the plans as they are. Just think that would have been awesome.

Mate we’d be selling off our best player to pay for the electric bill… I mean we nearly went into administration after bill spent most of our revenue on lawn mowers