New Everton Stadium Discussion

The fanbase could save us if they continue turning up and filling out the new stadium. Our revenues will dwarf every club at that level. But I think we’ll need to see a complete overhaul of the squad and wage bill before we can start to look upwards again. We’ll have to have a few seasons of matching the wage bill of clubs like Middlesbrough and Hull before we are back on an even keel. Sadly this almost certainly means stabilising in the Championship for a few seasons at best. I think this is the only realistic way of turning this around.
Yes and invest in the academy which has been a bit of a joke

They couldn’t justify those prices in the Championship, however as I said we’d need to nuke the wage bill and start again, matching that of mid table clubs in that division. If we can do that then we wouldn’t need to charge extortionate ticket prices and hopefully could fill the stadium. This plan is reliant on losing pretty much every player in the current squad though, including stragglers like Keane, Maupay, Holgate etc. Every player earning over about £40k would have to be sold or released. I’m in favour of that, but it’s going to be tough to find takers for them.

Don't we only have 16 first team players contracted for next season? Might need checking. Dom and Keane and Holgate go the season afterwards. Onana, Branthwaite and Pickford being actual assets could be sold whenever so within a year we could be down to 11.

Don't we only have 16 first team players contracted for next season? Might need checking. Dom and Keane and Holgate go the season afterwards. Onana, Branthwaite and Pickford being actual assets could be sold whenever so within a year we could be down to 11.
There's very few who I'd keep all things considered.
Bin them all and start again if it were possible. Cowards to a man.

The problem is that even just one season of a player like Michael Keane on £80k a week in the Championship is enough to strangle you. Look at Sunderland with Rodwell. We would need to get rid of him, personally I’d not bat an eyelid at selling him for £1m just to get his wages out the door, but who else would offer him what he’s on? It’s going to be tricky.

There's very few who I'd keep all things considered.
Bin them all and start again if it were possible. Cowards to a man.

Yes mate. It's very tiresome now isn't it. Even with the financial mismanagement if the team won a few games and actually managed to keep us entertained on the pitch, along with more money for finishing in a respectable mid table position and presumably more sponsorship for not being a basket case on and off the field (& even perhaps make the new owner search a bit easier and wider), then we could deal with this issue a little bit better.

Perfect storm where everything turned to mush at the same time and the rotters will probably pull their fingers out once again for the new manager when that time comes, just to prove they can do it when they want.

Yes mate. It's very tiresome now isn't it. Even with the financial mismanagement if the team won a few games and actually managed to keep us entertained on the pitch, along with more money for finishing in a respectable mid table position and presumably more sponsorship for not being a basket case on and off the field (& even perhaps make the new owner search a bit easier and wider), then we could deal with this issue a little bit better.

Perfect storm where everything turned to mush at the same time and the rotters will probably pull their fingers out once again for the new manager when that time comes, just to prove they can do it when they want.
Head's been telling me for years to just walk away and forget about them.
They bring nothing but misery and despair on a regular basis.

But then there's this... 💙 ...which tells me to hang in there.

I, we, must all be 'kin masochists

The problem is that even just one season of a player like Michael Keane on £80k a week in the Championship is enough to strangle you. Look at Sunderland with Rodwell. We would need to get rid of him, personally I’d not bat an eyelid at selling him for £1m just to get his wages out the door, but who else would offer him what he’s on? It’s going to be tricky.
Nobody is buying Keane. Stuck with the galoot.

Crying about it doesn't help Tom. We are where we are. It's not like we have fallen into this with all the conditions being equal to what we started with.

If anyone predicted we would have had a pandemic that massively increased costs and caused interest rates to rise by over a 1000%, along with a war that knocked out our main source of income, all within a couple of years then they should be rich enough to buy the club to get us out of trouble now.

There is no head in the sand here I can tell you. I'm worried as the next person but just like Rangers are still around, so will we. While the stadium is the immediate cause of our troubles it will also be the thing to help us get back. We just have to suffer whatever consequences and move forward.

Stating (or accepting) the reality isn't crying.

Yes, we can put blame on circumstances beyond our control, but that's not the whole picture.

The financial model for the stadium was speculative from the start and completely reliant on "bank of daddy", rather than the club's inherent financial wealth and sustainability. The simplest proof of this is that, at no point did it receive any support from ANY financial institutions..... even at the original £500m cost estimates. That initial headline search for securing the outstanding finances predates both the pandemic and the war...... despite a worldwide search, it produced nothing. According to Moshiri, the construction costs rose to £750m before the dock was even filled, and there was practically nothing above ground before the war started, cutting off our only tap to financial support. We carried on regardless. Perhaps Moshiri thought that starting the stadium would package a higher value sale by prompting a feeding frenzy of potential buyers attracted to a shiny new stadium. The opposite has happened. It only attracted the loan-shark ambulance-chasers of world football finance...... because everyone could see that none of it adds up.

As regards Rangers. Their 50k+ stadium was built and long-paid-for before their demise. They come from a 2 team league with which they have at least equal status with their biggest rival, and a fanbase built on (shall we say) more than simple shirt-colour preference. Even in the doldrums of multiple league relegation, their reborn future was still assured. I'm not sure how any of that compares favourably with us.

Binman. Respectfully, Rome is burning mate. You may need to get your head out of the sand. The only sacred cow here is the club, not BMD.
The thing is, Tom, that stadium is what it is. It's pretty much done. We can't turn the clock back.

No matter how strongly you feel about how it shouldn't have been built due to our financial situation, that doesn't mean that it won't benefit us massively in years to come by allowing us to help us generate significantly additional revenue in the future. There's been talk of scrapping it in here which is nonsense.

It is possible to acknowledge that both positions are true.