New Everton Stadium

All we actually know though is that every single person involved in the stadium - from the architect to the club to the mayor - has said the stands will be steep and close to the pitch, an intimate atmosphere is the priority and the running track will be there literally for two weeks and have zero impact on the stadium's design.

People aren't freaking out about "what we know", they're freaking about their own assumptions and fears. Which is perfectly fine, btw, but if we're dealing only in facts then the time for panic has not yet arrived.

I put this on the other thread, but i think it is relevant here:

Basically, an athletic track will eat into each end of a hypothetical football stadium by a minimum of 34.57m. That means if we want straight stands (as apposed to a bowl) with the seating at the maximum permitted steepness (35 degrees), the track would need to be elevated by a massive 25 meters. There is no way that the incorporation of a running track will not compromise the design of our stadium.

All we actually know though is that every single person involved in the stadium - from the architect to the club to the mayor - has said the stands will be steep and close to the pitch, an intimate atmosphere is the priority and the running track will be there literally for two weeks and have zero impact on the stadium's design.

People aren't freaking out about "what we know", they're freaking about their own assumptions and fears. Which is perfectly fine, btw, but if we're dealing only in facts then the time for panic has not yet arrived.
People are sceptical because that has never been done before. If there's a miraculous new technology that suddenly allows us to have 4 permanent steep stands close to a football pitch, that somehow transform so a running track can fit underneath the bottom of them then I'll be delighted.

Not at all sure how this will work.
At the etihad, they dug out the pitch out later on, going down several metres.
A de mountable running track would have to be higher than the pitch. Either the field would have to be raised or there would be a large step down into the field.
I can only see the stadium being compromised.

The bigger the stadium the shallower the lower tiers have to be. Besides the shallower the stand the more you stand. Don't worry about it.

Yes, just seen that Wembley is 90,000 and is reduced to 60,000 if a track is installed, so our stadium wouldn't be as big as the initial 90000 like Wembley's so hopefully the bottom tiers wouldn't be low and we could still have steep over hanging top tiers

I would love to stand up through the match, I remember when we were at the semis a few years ago at Wembley and an arl fella was shouting for people to 'sit dowwwnn'

Been done over and over on here but the only way I see a track fitting into what people are describing (intimate,steep etc) is either the part built option (etihad) or intelligent design with moving stands (expensive).

I've yet to see an international standard track accommodated into a single traditional style football stadium. The track area is just too big.

Meis of course is the architect and it may/is possible, we'll have to wait and see but it means substantial capacity will be seated beyond the perimeter of the track which worries me from a football viewing perspective.

How many rows do we want our End Stand to be?

Lower Gwladys Street has 41, about 20 upper
Park End has 39.
They're around average for loads of clubs.

Bigger ones, Villa's Holte End Lower about 46 does,upper similar
Man United Stretford End Lower 50, upper 40
Fulham 55
Newcastle 58
Liverpool 60/68/76 (has less blocks in the back middle)
Sheffield Wed 68

Abroad I think Dortmund has 82 rows?

Wembley stadium can be used for athletics but you have those stupid low bottom tiers

View attachment 37805

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wembley_Stadium

A "platform system" has been designed to convert the stadium for athletics use, but its use would decrease the stadium's capacity to approximately 60,000.[22] No athletics events (track and field) have taken place at the stadium, and none are scheduled.[23] The conversion for athletics use was a condition of part of the lottery funding the stadium received, but to convert it would take weeks of work and cost millions of pounds.[24]
Yeah there is no way people would be happy with a smaller version of Wembley would they? Doesn't really fit the brief. If Dan Meis does manage to make a truly intimate multipurpose stadium it is going to have to be something completely unique, which would be amazing to be fair

Yes, just seen that Wembley is 90,000 and is reduced to 60,000 if a track is installed, so our stadium wouldn't be as big as the initial 90000 like Wembley's so hopefully the bottom tiers wouldn't be low and we could still have steep over hanging top tiers

I would love to stand up through the match, I remember when we were at the semis a few years ago at Wembley and an arl fella was shouting for people to 'sit dowwwnn'

Definitely want the overhanging tiers on the side stands, making it as close to the action as possible and as close to the End Stands noise as possible.
Love the standing myself, the singing dies the instant everyone has to sit through a shout of sit down. Really hop we don't have corporate boxes at the back of the End Stand where want our fans to be standing, that'll end up with us having to sit as well.

Basically, an athletic track will eat into each end of a hypothetical football stadium by a minimum of 34.57m. That means if we want straight stands (as apposed to a bowl) with the seating at the maximum permitted steepness (35 degrees), the track would need to be elevated by a massive 25 meters. There is no way that the incorporation of a running track will not compromise the design of our stadium.

So let's take a purpose built modern stadium like the Emirates (for all its faults it has a big footprint). How many rows above 25m would that have if a track was built at that height? And would all exits etc for the upper tier be accessible? If somebody is good with math's/design it could be a useful comparison.

Wembley stadium can be used for athletics but you have those stupid low bottom tiers

View attachment 37805

A "platform system" has been designed to convert the stadium for athletics use, but its use would decrease the stadium's capacity to approximately 60,000.[22] No athletics events (track and field) have taken place at the stadium, and none are scheduled.[23] The conversion for athletics use was a condition of part of the lottery funding the stadium received, but to convert it would take weeks of work and cost millions of pounds.[24]
So a billion pound stadium, paid for by the taxpayer, could have been used to host athletic events?

Why on Earth did the taxpayer AGAIN have to fork out for another stadium build in London to host athletics, then? To make matters worse, we subsequently let it out to West Ham on a peppercorn rent.

This country is corrupt as anything.

People are sceptical because that has never been done before. If there's a miraculous new technology that suddenly allows us to have 4 permanent steep stands close to a football pitch, that somehow transform so a running track can fit underneath the bottom of them then I'll be delighted.

Yeah, and that's all completely fine. But again, every single person who knows anything about this project is telling us there is a solution to this problem. If the designs come out and the problem is not sufficiently solved, fume away. But until then, we're wasting energy fuming on assumption.

It's just like the transfer situation. People fuming on assumption, before discovering it was all for nothing.

View attachment 37805

Just goes to show a stadium with a much bigger footprint, space around the pitch and shallow raked stands you still lose 30,000 seats. Yet the echo think we will lose 15k :Blink:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back