New Everton Stadium

Can't they wait to see if Liverpool gets the CWG before deciding whether a running track is necessary or not? Then plan accordingly.

Everton are designing a Stadium that meets our needs first, the Commenwealth Games second. If we dont get the CWG then fine we still crack on with the designs, if we do get them the designs wont change, they'll simply plan to bring in a temp track.

Football Stadium first, everything else second.

If you put a platform over the lower tier in the Etihad, it's still nowhere near long enough for a track - which is why they built only 3 sides at the time.

No matter which way they try to sell it to us, the upper tiers, particularly behind the goal, will be miles from the pitch.

How do you know both ends behind the goal will have an upper tier? There is most likely to be a 'home end' which would be a single tier.

Some people seem to be acting like those at the back of Dortmunds Yellow Wall or the Kop aren't 'far from the pitch'. When building a Stadium with a capacity of 55/60,000+ there will inevitably be people that are far away from the pitch.

I have also been in the Upper Tier at the Etihad since they built the 3rd tier (Cup Semi Final) and it was one of the best views i've had. Probably the best Upper Tier view i've ever had at an away ground actually.

A thought:

Meis said on Twitter the Etihad solution wasn't ideal as it affected schedules. Because of that people (including me) have assumed building one end after the Games is a no-go.

But, maybe the problem he sees isn't that they built one stand after the Games, but that they had to dig down to make it work for football, meaning it couldn't be used for football until a year after the Commonwealth Games.

Wouldn't it be possible for the club to move into a three quarters completed stadium in 2021 (still a larger capacity than Goodison), lay a platform track inside it after that season and remove it before the 2022/23 season (as promised in the Mayor's letter) and build the final stand during that season with the stadium still in use.

That solution would get around the geometry of fitting a track into an "ideal" football stadium, would mean Everton could move into the stadium before the Games and use it the season afterwards unlike City, and it's consistent with everything the Mayor and Meis has said.

A thought:

Meis said on Twitter the Etihad solution wasn't ideal as it affected schedules. Because of that people (including me) have assumed building one end after the Games is a no-go.

But, maybe the problem he sees isn't that they built one stand after the Games, but that they had to dig down to make it work for football, meaning it couldn't be used for football until a year after the Commonwealth Games.

Wouldn't it be possible for the club to move into a three quarters completed stadium in 2021 (still a larger capacity than Goodison), lay a platform track inside it after that season and remove it before the 2022/23 season (as promised in the Mayor's letter) and build the final stand during that season with the stadium still in use.

That solution would get around the geometry of fitting a track into an "ideal" football stadium, would mean Everton could move into the stadium before the Games and use it the season afterwards unlike City, and it's consistent with everything the Mayor and Meis has said.

Makes perfect sense - I would guess you could build at least the back part of the fourth stand too, so it would be more than three quarters built...

Last edited:

How do you know both ends behind the goal will have an upper tier? There is most likely to be a 'home end' which would be a single tier.

Some people seem to be acting like those at the back of Dortmunds Yellow Wall or the Kop aren't 'far from the pitch'. When building a Stadium with a capacity of 55/60,000+ there will inevitably be people that are far away from the pitch.

I have also been in the Upper Tier at the Etihad since they built the 3rd tier (Cup Semi Final) and it was one of the best views i've had. Probably the best Upper Tier view i've ever had at an away ground actually.
As I said, particularly behind the goal.

I'd like there to be steep imposing banks behind the goals. There is no way this can be realised if a running track is being incorporated. The distances required are too much.

What about if the opposite end to our new 'The Wall Stand' is not built at all till after the Games? Then it should be possible to lay a platform there. After the Games the last stand would be built during the use. Or another option is that the stand could be somehow retractable/removable for a couple of months to create that needed extra space for athletics track platform there for a couple of months during the Games or even for other competitions in future if needed.

I was just thinking out loud. It'd mean playing in Goodison up to 2021, a c46k stadium for two seasons either side of the CWGs, and full-capacity in 2023/24. A compromise but arguably the best compromise because you'll definitely end up with a proper football ground.

I just can't imagine expensive movable stands or hydraulics being a solution for a one-off event, and dropping a track into a fully completed stadium bowl would mean the stadium is compromised forever, that's just maths.

Also, dropping the track into a completed bowl would mean a very high platform would be needed if you're getting a steep rake, and it'd be some task to get that in and out in a pre-season. A lower platform, with one end of the stadium open and accessible would seem to be easier even than Hampden to convert (which took months).

I'm not sure if I'm onto something or not here....I'm sure others will find holes...it makes sense in my head anyway.

I was just thinking out loud. It'd mean playing in Goodison up to 2021, a c46k stadium for two seasons either side of the CWGs, and full-capacity in 2023/24. A compromise but arguably the best compromise because you'll definitely end up with a proper football ground.

I just can't imagine expensive movable stands or hydraulics being a solution for a one-off event, and dropping a track into a fully completed stadium bowl would mean the stadium is compromised forever, that's just maths.

Also, dropping the track into a completed bowl would mean a very high platform would be needed if you're getting a steep rake, and it'd be some task to get that in and out in a pre-season. A lower platform, with one end of the stadium open and accessible would seem to be easier even than Hampden to convert (which took months).

I'm not sure if I'm onto something or not here....I'm sure others will find holes...it makes sense in my head anyway.

I like this although it would be a shame not to be able to move into a fully completed stadium. Don't you think though you would still be looking at a compromise on rakes of the side stands being less than optimal steepness? Can't see us being able to maximise the regs like Spurs in terms of steepness and proximity which should have been the goal

I like this although it would be a shame not to be able to move into a fully completed stadium. Don't you think though you would still be looking at a compromise on rakes of the side stands being less than optimal steepness? Can't see us being able to maximise the regs like Spurs in terms of steepness and proximity which should have been the goal

Possibly, possibly not. Though the news yesterday that the bid is proposing to host long jump and triple jump outside the stadium means the platform itself can be narrower, which in turn means the upper tiers could be closer and steeper.

So...by building one end afterwards and having the track "sticking out" you can move the platform along horizontally, meaning it doesn't need to be as high vertically. And losing long jump and triple jump means it doesn't need to be as wide.

Possibly, possibly not. Though the news yesterday that the bid is proposing to host long jump and triple jump outside the stadium means the platform itself can be narrower, which in turn means the upper tiers could be closer and steeper.

So...by building one end afterwards and having the track "sticking out" you can move the platform along horizontally, meaning it doesn't need to be as high vertically. And losing long jump and triple jump means it doesn't need to be as wide.

Its the only solution I can see except for a moveable end stand. The latter would be great tbh and allow other events but the budget doesn't add up and there would need to be a robust business case for it.

Some talk about this in the SSC construction thread. Somewhere between 73 and 81. But we've since had a planning app granted that increases the capacity of that stand by 500, so not sure.

Some quotes:

----

I did a rough count on the drawings of 73. But remember our kop is a wavey design which means only the middle blocks will be this high. The number of rows decreases dramatically to the sides. The new anfield kop is rumoured to be as high as Kilimanjaro.

----

I counted around 69 on the section through the south terrace (planning drawing) but that had the vomitories interrupting the count so I cut-n-paste in Photoshop and filled in those areas. Counted about 12 extra after that so I estimate around 81 therefore to the highest row but might be wrong.

Kilimanjaro! I heard they were aiming higher than Everest!!!

----

I had heard that if you want to go to the back of the proposed new Anfield Kop you will need your passport as it overhangs the Irish republic.

-----

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=135526058&highlight=rows+kop+80#post135526058

Thanks Rob. I was expecting it higher to be honest I don't know why.

I think any significant amount more than that would be too big, meaning the fans singing at the back wouldn't be heard by the fans at the front but you've probably got it just right, would love that stand but behind both of the goals.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back