New Everton Stadium

When you came out of Goodison back then did they a lot of trams or what on County Road to get into town? Im guessing there wasnt that many people with cars back then, must of been hard trying to get back home
It was wall to wall buses, like literally 10 46's parked up in spellow lane all waiting for the rush. There were still 100's of cars parked right up to Gwladys St. until they brought in the parking restrictions.
That was back of course when Buses were a public service and you could still get a scheduled bus (not a one off late night special) at 0020am on new years eve, not like now when the last bus is 5 oclock in the afternoon.
For night games if you were young nimble and quick ( which I was then) my trick was to make my way in the last 5mins to the back of the terrace by the big gates in Goodison place. When the final whistle blew, it was about turn and run like 'k to Walton church and get the limited stop 500 which sailed on and didn't stop until it got to town.
For the 67 Derby (7.30 Sat evening) with the screens at their place, the total attendance was 104,000, that was chaos, there just weren't enough buses, time and road space. We ended up doing a fast(ish) one in each pub jog all the way to town for 10.30 last orders in The Central (opp the station as was)...which, such was the business they were doing, they 'forgot' to call until 11.30

It was wall to wall buses, like literally 10 46's parked up in spellow lane all waiting for the rush. There were still 100's of cars parked right up to Gwladys St. until they brought in the parking restrictions.
That was back of course when Buses were a public service and you could still get a scheduled bus (not a one off late night special) at 0020am on new years eve, not like now when the last bus is 5 oclock in the afternoon.
For night games if you were young nimble and quick ( which I was then) my trick was to make my way in the last 5mins to the back of the terrace by the big gates in Goodison place. When the final whistle blew, it was about turn and run like 'k to Walton church and get the limited stop 500 which sailed on and didn't stop until it got to town.
For the 67 Derby (7.30 Sat evening) with the screens at their place, the total attendance was 104,000, that was chaos, there just weren't enough buses, time and road space. We ended up doing a fast(ish) one in each pub jog all the way to town for 10.30 last orders in The Central (opp the station as was)...which, such was the business they were doing, they 'forgot' to call until 11.30

Great post and a wonderful insight to what it was like back in the day for those that are not from the Liverpool area and don't have a family history of Everton supporters to pass on these type of things.

Ha! The repositioning towards the back was a must.

Most recent 70k plus was also a derby match, September 1962, 2-2., Morrisey and Vernon. Pen. 72488

I've seen pics of that one mate ( the 2-2 ). I just find that amazing, knowing I've been at matches of just 35k and it can be absolutely brutal volume wise, to have twice as many must have been some sight and far superior to nearly every stadium/team in the country I should imagine.

What game was that against Steve? Must have been unbelievable that, 78k crammed into Goodison!

September 1948 Derby game. I was 7 years old,balanced precariously on my uncles shoulders. Hardly saw a thing...only remember we had a job keeping on our feet every time there was a crowd surge. Only experience as scary was once in that massive terrace they used to have at Birmingham City(St Andrews?). Crowd surge was commonplace in those days...WHL was another ground with an 'active' crowd....

September 1948 Derby game. I was 7 years old,balanced precariously on my uncles shoulders. Hardly saw a thing...only remember we had a job keeping on our feet every time there was a crowd surge. Only experience as scary was once in that massive terrace they used to have at Birmingham City(St Andrews?). Crowd surge was commonplace in those days...WHL was another ground with an 'active' crowd....
Ah, mine was in 1953 against Man U Steve, attendance was just under 78k, I was 8 that year!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back