New Everton Stadium

So, are we going to become EFC - Everton Fighting Club?
You_Doodle_2018-04-13T11_38_51Z.webp

Getting back to the Stadium.....

Something has been bothering me from the images taken at the workshops. I'm intrigued by the two large gaps each side of the "Blue Wall" home end.
694A2D5C-3E4D-4708-B678-C3E32D29617F.webp
2F4E74AB-D44F-4188-BA1E-5D0AF93CC30A.webp

They are too big to be just disabled access as the other side of the ground would be the same. Also they reach right up to the roof line, no other access points do this. It's more likely they have some structural reason for being there. So what could their purpose be?

* Air Circulation? I don't think so. Other large stadiums don't have or need this feature.
* Glass Windows? Possibly. But we already know there is going to be a concourse behind the stand facing back to the city.

It looks like to me that these are gaps to enable the fitting of some sort of giant mast structures that will rise high above the roof line and have tension cables supporting some of the roof structure. Meis has a history of this, these are all his designs.

FINAL+FINAL.webp
download (2).webp
Coliseum+money+shot.webp

You can see from the picture above that the towers are outside the stadium, but because of the constraints of Nelson Dock I think Meis designed them to start from inside the stadium.
I may be totally wrong but I can't think of any other logical reason for those gaps to be there. If anyone else can I would be interested to hear it.

DZyq_rGXUAEQ-ng.webp

You can see the gaps here and how (if they are masts or towers) they would angle out over Nelson Dock at 45 degree angles

Well picked up. If he is true to his word and it is both iconic in design and sympathetic to the site's surroundings then you may be on to something. Some form of nautical mast(s) type reference looks to be a possibility.

Something has been bothering me from the images taken at the workshops. I'm intrigued by the two large gaps each side of the "Blue Wall" home end.
View attachment 45581 View attachment 45582

They are too big to be just disabled access as the other side of the ground would be the same. Also they reach right up to the roof line, no other access points do this. It's more likely they have some structural reason for being there. So what could their purpose be?

* Air Circulation? I don't think so. Other large stadiums don't have or need this feature.
* Glass Windows? Possibly. But we already know there is going to be a concourse behind the stand facing back to the city.

It looks like to me that these are gaps to enable the fitting of some sort of giant mast structures that will rise high above the roof line and have tension cables supporting some of the roof structure. Meis has a history of this, these are all his designs.

View attachment 45583 View attachment 45585 View attachment 45584

You can see from the picture above that the towers are outside the stadium, but because of the constraints of Nelson Dock I think Meis designed them to start from inside the stadium.
I may be totally wrong but I can't think of any other logical reason for those gaps to be there. If anyone else can I would be interested to hear it.

View attachment 45586

You can see the gaps here and how (if they are masts or towers) they would angle out over Nelson Dock at 45 degree angles

Maybe he is going for something along these lines

https://www.google.ie/search?q=samu...AhXFyVMKHT0yBEoQ9QEIRjAB#imgrc=p8yDSLwucH_p1M:

It could be a nod to the city's maritime heritage and the stadiums position on the water.
he said it would be iconic

The occulus / WTC metro station in manhattan or the milwaukee arts museum are also both designed by Calatrava with the same influence in external roof decor. How about either of those for a stadium lid. ;)

Fascinating that, never knew this had happened to Valencia. Is it anything to do with that greasy peter lim?

Partly - by that I mean the issues they've faced more recently. Lots of deals with Jorge Mendes inc. some where players were bought for big money and simply weren't good enough so were loaned out or sold at a big loss. Other times they've sold big stars fir huge fees which wasn't put back into the team.

All started when the property market crashed in the late 00's. When the bubble burst the value of the real estate crashed and so they couldn't sell the Mestalla (prime land in Valencia) at the value they needed to finish the new stadium. (I remember seeing the mock ups of the new stadium and when finished it was going to be like the Wanderlei but without the roof).

I've been to the Mestalla and although it's not a huge stadium (45k ish IIRC) the atmosphere is incredible.
Los Che fans are very passionate, very noisy and at that time tickets were sold out for all games way in advance.

p.s. - new to the site and been going through this thread over the last week or two. Exciting times ahead !

View attachment 45586

In my opinion they are there for two reasons:

1) Make the home end more distinctive and separate the stand to the rest of the stadium
2) Enable views out to the city one way and to the Mersey on the other side.

They are not there to allow for supports to the roof etc. They can clearly be seen on the initial designs:

20180413_160051.webp

View attachment 45586

Its more likely to do with the angles of the stands and the fact that it is single tiered, the second tier on the other 3 stands would bring the lines out of whack, if they simply joined it up with a big wall, you would be affecting sight-lines. If you looked at the arrangement in a section of the home end and the others, the home end would sit deeper at the back that the tiered stand.

As @The binman chronicles has pointed out above, there are no large masts present on the stadium renders.

The council are not lending Everton the money out of their own funds.
The are borrowing the money from a central government fund and lending the money to Everton.
Will will pay back the capital , the interest and 7 m a year to LCC as the price for LCC facilitating the loan

Hi - any idea if it would be a fixed interest rate and what %age of capital would have to be paid back each year?
E.g. The club borrow £200m and pay it back over say 20 years at £10m a year + interest + £7m a year to LCC.
£20m per year in total for argument sake.

From that perspective I can see why the council would want to do it. If it's over 20 years then they'd make £70m for no outlay or £35m if it was over 10 years with us covering the loan and interest.

From a club POV - we'd set aside the fixed amount each season from the tv revenue I guess which will hopefully grow a little each year.

Bit of a simplistic example I know but sounds workable.
Also - could proceeds from the sale of Goodison be put back into the club (team) if the above scenario came to pass?

View attachment 45586

The large home end is a single tier whilst the two other stands are multi tiered so the gap would be to stop the upper tiers from restricting the views of anyone in the large home end.

That would be my guess

In my opinion they are there for two reasons:

1) Make the home end more distinctive and separate the stand to the rest of the stadium
2) Enable views out to the city one way and to the Mersey on the other side.

They are not there to allow for supports to the roof etc. They can clearly be seen on the initial designs:

View attachment 45587

I'd tend to agree. If those gaps were filled in then you would partly lose the visual impact of that stand - e.g. by joining to the stands each side you're almost going down the 'bowl' route to an extent.

This way you have a unique feature as part of an overall iconic stadium.

Its more likely to do with the angles of the stands and the fact that it is single tiered, the second tier on the other 3 stands would bring the lines out of whack, if they simply joined it up with a big wall, you would be affecting sight-lines. If you looked at the arrangement in a section of the home end and the others, the home end would sit deeper at the back that the tiered stand.

As @The binman chronicles has pointed out above, there are no large masts present on the stadium renders.

What makes you think that is a stadium render?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back