New Everton Stadium

a8izu8V.webp

Got this off a trusted 'source' earlier today...

"Rumours going around Everton are looking at other sites to build stadium. Foundation costs are through the roof"

Hmmm...
tbh Tommye, if the foundations are through the roof I'd have to question whether Meis has got his drawings the right way around before I get too excited about this.

Not so sure on that mate, there has been very little - if any - mention of the club securing the necessary financing for BMD, if financing can't be secured maybe the project is facing mothballing at best or cancellation at worst.

If a 'world class' stadium on the riverfront and a massive social regeneration programme is struggling to attract financial support, maybe we are looking at some disappointing times pending ??

I think it will be fine, we have 300 million-ish presumably still on offer from the council if required, Moshiri would dip at least 100 million on top of that, so at worst we would just build a cheaper stadium on BMD.

Like you say, if we took the 300-400 million and built it anywhere else, yes it might be bigger and better quality stadium without having to spend as much on the foundations, but it wouldn't make up the better commercial opportunities at the dock, front and centre of the city. So financially if we can't afford a stadium at BMD we can't afford a new one at all no matter what the price.

I'm at a point whereby, If it's true, and it could go either way, i'm not really shocked, and if I'm honest, I'm also not really that bothered.

For all the over the top positive reactions after the reveal, I was kinda left feeling a little disappointed. We were promised the iconic stadium in the iconic location, and if we are honest, it was 1 of those things.

The capacity was never my issue, 53k seems right/reasonable to me for where we are and with costs etc. But the inability to expand seemed prohibitive.

The giant home end seems like a good idea, but the fact it was the same size all the way round lessened that impact for me. We were the 1st team to have 2 tiers all the way round, then we reverted back? It didn't sell me.

Then there was the waterfront location itself. Only we could build a stadium on the waterfront and stick a multistory car park in between.

That's not even going in to depth on the logistical nightmare of getting to and from the ground. It's bad enough getting out the Arena at 1/5th the size.

But you know what? The 1 small piece of optimism that this club hasn't beaten out of me yet in all these years thinks maybe it's a positive.

Bite the bullet, move on, find a new location or redevelop, but in the wake of another failure, it really will have to be world class. Perhaps the costs will be less and allow for the iconic stadium if not the iconic location. Maybe they will have to show the displaced ambition into an area that badly needs it, the team.

Funny that all this comes out a week after Moyes starts on about the redevelopment of Goodison though isn't it? Almost like it was planned.

I did wonder about those quotes from Moyes. Maybe he'd heard something?

News coming through that financing couldn't be agreed after footage of Moshiri firing ping pong balls out of his hoop and into Usmanovs mouth became public.
Can't be having that. We all knew about that. It wouldn't be the Mosh and Ali show without a few ping pong balls.

The entire development of the northern docks would appear to hinge on BMD attracting investment for further development, so it's feasible that Peel holdings and LCC would do all they can to facilitate and assist Everton,. Perhaps this is a shot across the bows from the board, help us or the whole development project will sink in the Mersey.?
Indeed, the northern end of the project os reliant on the stadium being the buffer between the sewage plant and the serious money developments from there to the Pier Head. Can't imagine any other use for that plot and the rest would suffer accordingly.

I think it will be fine, we have 300 million-ish presumably still on offer from the council if required, Moshiri would dip at least 100 million on top of that, so at worst we would just build a cheaper stadium on BMD.

Like you say, if we took the 300-400 million and built it anywhere else, yes it might be bigger and better quality stadium without having to spend as much on the foundations, but it wouldn't make up the better commercial opportunities at the dock, front and centre of the city. So financially if we can't afford a stadium at BMD we can't afford a new one at all no matter what the price.
Er, I don't think so mate.
Given the state of politics at present, can't see the club wanting to be reliant on money from the council that might no longer be available.

It's all a load of tosh. As far as I am aware, there is absolutely no truth in this at all, apart from the cost. Pretty sure they even mentioned this £100m at the reveal at the titanic, using their willingness to pay it as proof if their determination to get it built.

100% they've mentioned it costing 100m mate just for the prep work.

I'd be shocked if anything has come up at this stage which has changed things dramatically.

Er, I don't think so mate.
Given the state of politics at present, can't see the club wanting to be reliant on money from the council that might no longer be available.

Why don't you think it would be available still Andy? Seeing it isn't actually the council's money and they are just borrowing it from central government, I don't see why it should be a problem politically once the agreement is there in black and white, showing the doubters how the council make money from the scheme and it kick starts regeneration at the same time. Didn't Anderson say not that long ago that he still hopes Everton will take up the offer but it looks like we will be using money from a commercial source?

Even if we say the council sourced money wasn't available, a loan of 250-270million shouldn't be that hard to source for a premiership club with no further debts. There is little reason to believe that it would be canned unless the price of the build shoots up 35/40%. Until then everything could be made cheaper, such as jettisoning the car park from the plans etc.

Why don't you think it would be available still Andy? Seeing it isn't actually the council's money and they are just borrowing it from central government, I don't see why it should be a problem politically once the agreement is there in black and white, showing the doubters how the council make money from the scheme and it kick starts regeneration at the same time. Didn't Anderson say not that long ago that he still hopes Everton will take up the offer but it looks like we will be using money from a commercial source?

Even if we say the council sourced money wasn't available, a loan of 250-270million shouldn't be that hard to source for a premiership club with no further debts. There is little reason to believe that it would be canned unless the price of the build shoots up 35/40%. Until then everything could be made cheaper, such as jettisoning the car park from the plans etc.
I'm more of the opinion that the club would rather not be, to some degree, beholding to the council for a loan of the size intimated by Anderson. I doubt the club would want its business in any way compromised politically.

I could well be wrong, but I don't think financing from one or more commercial sources has yet been secured. The fact that statements over the date of the planning application submission have gone from "third quarter" to "by the end of the year" suggests to me the lack of sufficient finance is a further factor in delaying the submission.

Now, it's true that proof of finance is not needed for the planning application, but the length of the delay suggests to me that they would rather have it secured than not before submitting.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back