New Everton Stadium

Not at all.... you tagged me in and posed the question. Not my fault if you didn't like the answer, which is essentially what Meis said regards stand acoustics with respect to roof height and the avoidance of large gaps.

No crying nor joy sucking.... just some acoustic fundamentals straight from the horse's mouth.

Tom, I hope you don’t mind if I call you Tom, I really appreciate your knowledge and understanding regarding stadia build, acoustics etc and love reading most of your informative posts. It’s just that the Board isn’t quite sorted, we haven’t bought any players and still have this ffp hanging over our heads. This thread about the stadium is the only good thing going on and brings light and happiness to many fans. It would therefore be of enormous benefit to some of our more depressed fans if you could sound a little more positive about this endeavour and not do unfavourable comparisons with other buildings. It is what it is, the design is done, the build is racing on and we all want to be happy in our new home. Can I ask that perhaps you think of some of our fans while posting your informative comments. Thanks, Pete…….

But why does it matter if there is glazed windows (that won't even be seen) behind the black perforated panels?

Is it the case glazing was the original plan though? Again from the Design & Access addendum, they talk about size of portals being important for ventilation and environmental purposes. It doesnlt say anything about glazing there.

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 12.34.08.png

I've thought all along that glazing would be part of the East and West stand entrances.

I dont know, maybe glazing was the plan all along. If that's the case it's never been made plain.

The club / contractors might be saying it's "more distinguishable" and that metal panels with the continuation of the criss cross motif being replaced by windows that dont have it is going to enhance the (unobservable) criss crosses on the brickwork, but that doesn't mean it's true.

But this is all down to Meis trying to curry favour with fans who he thought were all on board with a design on the brickwork just so he could get the stadium architectural gig.

It's a failure of epic proportions. This stadium is costing £700M and to chop and change on the facade that will cover it and be the face of the stadium to the world is unforgivable. It's been a case of too many cooks on that design. Meis had his input, the likes of UNESCO and Historic England had their say on it, then we had Pattern Design. It's absolutely pathetic.
This is the Davek v1.0 we’ve been missing lately in here.

Waaaaaay too much flapping going on in here. Dark perforated panels in between the brick work. Not glass. Been known for a while that they dropped the leich design on them.
20230630_131121.webp

I think people are seeing the window frames going in for the west stand glass & seeing a similar looking thing with a silver insert ( weather proofing insulation stuff according to info from the latest Mr Drone vid) in between the brickwork & thinking both are the same thing.

Waaaaaay too much flapping going on in here. Dark perforated panels in between the brick work. Not glass. Been known for a while that they dropped the leich design on them.
View attachment 215842
I think people are seeing the window frames going in for the west stand glass & seeing a similar looking thing with a silver insert ( weather proofing insulation stuff according to info from the latest Mr Drone vid) in between the brickwork & thinking both are the same thing.

Love that curved metal roof. 💙

These images are all I can find on the metal panels. The first is from the Design and Access Statement from the original planning submission, and the second image is from the addendum. No mention of anything behind but does mention ventilation.

I've heard and read comments from people about what has been installed so far and speculation that it's windows/glazing or insulation. I'm not aware of any change to the intention for the metal panels and in my understanding a change to the facade design/appearance of this nature (eg swapping the metal panels for windows) would require a Non Material Amendment planning submission. I've had a quick look and can't find any such planning submission, but I guess it's possible.

For now I will assume that the metal panels are still the intention and whatever is currently installed/being installed will be covered by them.

D&S Metal Panels 1A.jpg
D&S Metal Panels.jpg

It was the plan along.

Did people think wind was going to howl in through cheese grater panels all round the ground?

That'd be fun.
I have to say had a,quick look at south stand from docklands trail mini stand didn't appear to be glazed frames as some where on floor as well as on spillage, best guess metal sheets to be attached , doubt planners would allow significant change, think they would be all over it, could be possible polycarbonate 🤦think we will know soon enough when first metal sheet is attached.🤷‍♂️

It's a serious point. How can there be a design for the outer shell of the stadium that was once seen as crucial (I remember the metal panels being explained as a way of dealing with prevailing winds from the Mersey) that is so easily changed, replaced by windows that will destroy the integrity of the 'desired' motif of the facade.

I mean these things can be queried cant they? They should be. It's not a small thing, it's huge in terms of the look of the stadium.
Fairly certain the perforated panels will be fitted over the glazing.

Some, but much fewer than in other stands. You have tendency to scrape the barrel to be negative about the new ground. Sad but true - take pride in the new stadium, have a good day!

Not scraping the barrel at all.... I've been consistent about any reservations/concerns.

If you read back.... It was other people who "scraped it up", mentioning that they were slightly disappointed or underwhelmed with that end. Then some defended it. I simply mentioned it's obvious acoustic deficiencies...... and Meis (inadvertently) reinforced that opinion about that end.

For a long time we've essentially had 2 home ends and that is where the bulk of the vociferous support comes from..... this could be a slight departure from that in those design terms.

Hopefully, the "whole stadium" acoustics are spot on and the new unified home end compensate for that..... and that large north stand window serves to reflect the South Stand's chants and bathe that end in the new Goodison roar.....

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back