New Everton Stadium

Cowboys' ridiculous stadium isn't it? 2Bill+ USD for that, if I remember right.

Indianapolis Colts. The Cowboys' stadium looks like this:

Screenshot_20230808_070455_Chrome.jpg

Talking of various international stadia, I love names of two of the grounds hosting the Women’s World Cup: the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium and the Perth Rectangular Stadium.

Aussies love their ovals in their sports, so the distinction makes absolute sense domestically, but they are insanely dull sounding names to an international football audience.
I know it's due to sponsorship but agree they could have maybe been a bit more imaginative in coming up with their temporary names.

The Cowboys last won a title in 1995. The Jerrydome as it is colloquially known after their billionaire owner Jerry Jones is a monument to hubris. It had all the latest modcons when opened in 2009 but for certain kick-off times during the season the sun glare through the glazed end is so severe teams struggle to see what they are doing and tv coverage is challenging. It is amazing to visit but it is also arguably exhibit one of the ‘over-engineered’ US stadia Dan Meis explicitly set out to not replicate at BMD.

Talking of various international stadia, I love names of two of the grounds hosting the Women’s World Cup: the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium and the Perth Rectangular Stadium.

Aussies love their ovals in their sports, so the distinction makes absolute sense domestically, but they are insanely dull sounding names to an international football audience.
Melbourne rectangular stadium is called AAMI park normally but due to WC sponsorship they just went plain and boring same for Perth which is normally HBF park.

AAmi park is Melbourne city and Victory home ground and is also Melbourne Storm (RL) Home stadium so it gets a lot of use, the funny shaped roof is for acoustics

Even when raised to its full height during play the screen has been hit by punts. The NFL had to introduce a rule clarification for this situation. Another of the many ways Jerry’s palace was built to reflect his ego rather than to the best sports venue it can be (though things like the changing rooms reset the paradigm to be fair).

A few years ago they had a fault during a game with the seat tv screens in the premium loge decks and some attendees (fans would be too generous) actually complained it meant “they could not see the game”. They had never needed to look at the field.

It is an amazing venue in terms of ‘stuff’ and as a sight-seeing experience but less so as an atmospheric sporting experience. It is the kind of place our neighbours would build if they ever had that much money.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back