New Everton Stadium

There should be a sizeable increase in matchday income, however that is not a given across the full range of ticket categories. The fact that no-one seems to be able to lift figures from projections in the planning or subsequent docs since, might indicate a slightly laissez-faire attitude by club (and fans) in our approach.... which as far as I can see appears to have been based on "don't worry, Uncle Ussy's got it covered". A predication that no longer applies, as is applicable to most aspects of the original financial strategy.

For example: When West Ham first went from their 35k stadium to the 55k+ (now 62k+) Olympic stadium in 2016, their matchday income barely changed for the first few seasons up to covid. To fill the extra capacity they had to reduce average ticket prices. Fortunately for them, the stadium was a freeby and there was sufficient latent and new support in London and the home counties to draw from (presumably 10 million+ population gives a reasonable floating vote). Our club has claimed a 15-20k waiting list in recent times (yet only mention much smaller waiting lists in the actual planning docs). We will have to see how price-dependent our total season ticket demand is, before we can predict what income increase there will be from increased General Admission ticket capacity. Austerity rarely affects the wealthy, so the premium seating sales shouldn't be overly affected by the current cost of living crisis, the mid-level and corporate-lite range may or may not be less resilient.... I think they're still testing that price range as we speak. As you say, we've had low ticket prices and certainly no success in recent years. It's also a smaller capacity step- up, so overall our ticket-price elasticity might be more robust than West Ham's. Since Covid, their matchday income has gradually increased to the point where they're roughly 25%-50% higher than their final Boleyn ground matchday income of 8yrs ago.

At perhaps the other end of the scale, Spurs roughly doubled their matchday income and I think Arsenal went from approx £40m to £70m when they first moved too (but they had to endure several years of increased austerity afterwards). The commercial incomes have risen too and Spurs seemed to have benefited from a good hike in those figures. So, maybe our projections are somewhere in between. The issue is of course, if or not all of the anticipated income increases can cover the debt in the absence of USM or similar outside support. At present we have little or no official stadium financial figures, no sponsor, nothing solid on the ownership make-up or its longevity, with all the other "financial sustainability" and on-pitch frailties as a backdrop. So it's very difficult to make accurate or valid comparisons.

My only concern is the potential scale backs due to the reduction in USM.

MSP being American based, will hopefully be investing to the standards they have in their stadia.

My only concern is the potential scale backs due to the reduction in USM.

MSP being American based, will hopefully be investing to the standards they have in their stadia.

I'm not that sure that being "American-based" necessarily indicates much at all regards quality of the stadium going forward. FSG have been fairly minimalist in their ROI led-approach and the Glazers have famously invested nothing in Old Trafford of any consequence.

The MSP investment may be entirely short term opportunistic, with a quick flip if the club is sold on completion.

Watching one of the drone videos last night, one of the blokes (sorry can't remember who) said that the fan zone will hold 12,000. Is that true? If so, imagine it full an hour before kick off. Anything of similar size anywhere else?

They do. But having a pint in the Top Balcony where I am has all the charm of having a pint in a multi-storey carpark. It's murder getting served, murder finding somewhere to put your pint, the ale is garbage, so consequently (as I stated in the earlier post) I spend NOTHING inside GP per season.

I expect my spending habits will change at the new place, given that facilities will be put into place to encourage me and tens of thousands of others to spend our money.
🤔
Even our marketing team should be able to manage a quick stroll round the local hostelries and ask "what's your two biggest selling beers" then come back and order the appropriate pumps and stuff...oh and some Guinness too please

Edit; cue some right overpriced fizzy dishwater

🤔
Even our marketing team should be able to manage a quick stroll round the local hostelries and ask "what's your two biggest selling beers" then come back and order the appropriate pumps and stuff...oh and some Guinness too please

Edit; cue some right overpriced fizzy dishwater
It will go by whoever gives them the best deal to sell in large numbers.
I highly doubt you will see a premium beer.

I'm not that sure that being "American-based" necessarily indicates much at all regards quality of the stadium going forward. FSG have been fairly minimalist in their ROI led-approach and the Glazers have famously invested nothing in Old Trafford of any consequence.

The MSP investment may be entirely short term opportunistic, with a quick flip if the club is sold on completion.

You know what I meant.

There should be a sizeable increase in matchday income, however that is not a given across the full range of ticket categories. The fact that no-one seems to be able to lift figures from projections in the planning or subsequent docs since, might indicate a slightly laissez-faire attitude by club (and fans) in our approach.... which as far as I can see appears to have been based on "don't worry, Uncle Ussy's got it covered". A predication that no longer applies, as is applicable to most aspects of the original financial strategy.

For example: When West Ham first went from their 35k stadium to the 55k+ (now 62k+) Olympic stadium in 2016, their matchday income barely changed for the first few seasons up to covid. To fill the extra capacity they had to reduce average ticket prices. Fortunately for them, the stadium was a freeby and there was sufficient latent and new support in London and the home counties to draw from (presumably 10 million+ population gives a reasonable floating vote). Our club has claimed a 15-20k waiting list in recent times (yet only mention much smaller waiting lists in the actual planning docs). We will have to see how price-dependent our total season ticket demand is, before we can predict what income increase there will be from increased General Admission ticket capacity. Austerity rarely affects the wealthy, so the premium seating sales shouldn't be overly affected by the current cost of living crisis, the mid-level and corporate-lite range may or may not be less resilient.... I think they're still testing that price range as we speak. As you say, we've had low ticket prices and certainly no success in recent years. It's also a smaller capacity step- up, so overall our ticket-price elasticity might be more robust than West Ham's. Since Covid, their matchday income has gradually increased to the point where they're roughly 25%-50% higher than their final Boleyn ground matchday income of 8yrs ago.

At perhaps the other end of the scale, Spurs roughly doubled their matchday income and I think Arsenal went from approx £40m to £70m when they first moved too (but they had to endure several years of increased austerity afterwards). The commercial incomes have risen too and Spurs seemed to have benefited from a good hike in those figures. So, maybe our projections are somewhere in between. The issue is of course, if or not all of the anticipated income increases can cover the debt in the absence of USM or similar outside support. At present we have little or no official stadium financial figures, no sponsor, nothing solid on the ownership make-up or its longevity, with all the other "financial sustainability" and on-pitch frailties as a backdrop. So it's very difficult to make accurate or valid comparisons.
The fact that our season tickets have been probably underpriced for so long, the new stadium bounce and the fact that we haven't doubled our capacity like West Ham should really see a decent uplift in ticket prices across the board. I don't want to dismiss the financial pressures people are under, but tickets to Goodison are pretty cheap when compared to the market. There's also the fact that the restricted view seats don't have to be discounted.

It will also bring in the tourist dollars. I'm a 'plastic' foreign fan and haven't been in a while as I've been stuck behind pillars in the lower Bullens for the last couple of visits. It wasn't a great experience. Given the overall costs of the trips, I'm going to wait till BMD is open before going again. As I've only been to Goodison 15-20 times I don't have the degree of emotional attachment to Goodison that a local fan would have so I don't feel the pressing need to travel again before it closes.

I’ve sat in every stand and the park end is by far the best in terms of seat, view and concourse.
You guys will be spoiled in bmd and I think I will too.
My average spend todate in the park end is £30 tbh I would have struggled to spend half that in other parts of the gp ground.
BMD is a game changer 🙏
I moaned about this when I had the peoples project app and could do the fly round

They have them in the south stand too - not far from where the goal is so I think will affect the “limbs” aesthetics when maupay fires a last minute winner to secure the 24/25 premier league title

Still no news on the criteria for allocating seats i see. After holding a season tkt for 43 years i have a decent seat. I want a better one tho and why not. If some guy has had a season tkt longer than me then he can pick before me as thats only fair. Waiting anxiously for news.
I imagine there are a few of us in the same boat. I wouldn't be worrying if this was a well-run club, but it's Everton...

I was especially unnerved when I found out EFC had completely lost the list of season ticket holders when they changed ticketing platforms some years ago.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back