New Everton Stadium

Just my opinion but I would say it’s simply to ensure demand is high. Over supply reduces demand, basic economics. At present we have a really high waiting list for season tickets. This not only ensures they get sold as people drop out, it more importantly encourages people to renew, knowing they will probably not get one for a long time. It also encourages high value tickets sell for tier 1 games. For the lower tier games when season tickets holders are more inclined to sell their ticket, it reduces demand. The last thing they want is to be flogging half season tickets at Xmas like the old days. Ultimately the risk of going back to that has limited the capacity of this stadium. They would fill a 70000 seater for the big games but certainly not for a winter night versus Bournemouth. The fact that season ticket holders will struggle to sell when they can’t go, due to to the fact loads of seats remain will also have a knock on effect for demand on season tickets. Probably not for the first 2 years but eventually it will as the shine wears off

About 10 years ago, we used to offer discounted tickets to students and staff at local colleges. Restricted views, top balcony and when the visiting team wouldn’t take the upper Bullens section.

I got to take my lads to loads of games at decent
prices. Happy days!
Yeah, the civil service sports and social club would sell adult tickets for £15 and you could purchase up to 6 I think. They used to allow you to add the tickets against your customer number as well.

Where’s it coming from that the stadium can’t be expanded? It’s always been said that it could be expanded to 62,000

That’s from Dan Meis’s website
It's always been my understanding that any increase in capacity, including to the touted 62k figure, would be from safe standing. There is no allowance within the current design for the stadium to be expanded to 62k ALL SEATED. It would come from the introduction of safe standing on a greater than 1:1 ratio.

It's always been my understanding that any increase in capacity, including to the touted 62k figure, would be from safe standing. There is no allowance within the current design for the stadium to be expanded to 62k ALL SEATED. It would come from the introduction of safe standing on a greater than 1:1 ratio.

Do you have a link for that? There’s lots of stuff out there saying the stadium can be increased to a capacity of 62,000

Nothing in those articles to say it can only be done with safe standing

Do you have a link for that? There’s lots of stuff out there saying the stadium can be increased to a capacity of 62,000

I'll have a look through the planning stuff but worth pointing out those articles also don't specifically state how it can be expanded. It is clear from the design of the stadium it's not possible to simply add in another 10,000 seats without MAJOR structural changes, including complete re-construction of the entire roof.

Although an old article, the below specifically states that the capacity would be increased through the use of safe standing. This was a direct quote from Keith Harris, former Director.

1698708776681.webp

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...y-moore-capacity-greeted-by-fsf/37717059.html

Also, straight from the Stadium website...so i think that's pretty categoric.

1698708882849.png

Really don’t understand why people are clamouring for extra capacity, if we had 60k I suspect they would ask for more.
We have a brand new stadium with just short of 53k which is close to a 50% increase on our current capacity and with safe standing potential 60%.
I much prefer a realistic capacity of loyal evertonians than a stadium of tourists 🙏
The tourists will visit and enjoy the concerts 🙏🙏

I've never been bothered by the capacity, especially when factoring in potential for safe standing increase.

For a bit of perspective, if Everton have a full house in the last game at Goodison, and gave everyone in attendance a ticket for the 1st game, they could do so without selling a single ticket in the new South stand.

Further, if the new legislation moves from 1:1 to only 1:3, it will only take 5.5k converted safe standing spaces to go over 60k, which is similar to the bottom tier of the new South Stand, with further provisions for the north stand lower as well.

There are some minor things about the stadium that i would love to be slightly different, mostly design features that were probably not done for good reasons, including cost. But it looks amazing as it is, and more so each passing week.

It's going to be incredible and something to be proud of.

I've never been bothered by the capacity, especially when factoring in potential for safe standing increase.

For a bit of perspective, if Everton have a full house in the last game at Goodison, and gave everyone in attendance a ticket for the 1st game, they could do so without selling a single ticket in the new South stand.

Further, if the new legislation moves from 1:1 to only 1:3, it will only take 5.5k converted safe standing spaces to go over 60k, which is similar to the bottom tier of the new South Stand, with further provisions for the north stand lower as well.

There are some minor things about the stadium that i would love to be slightly different, mostly design features that were probably not done for good reasons, including cost. But it looks amazing as it is, and more so each passing week.

It's going to be incredible and something to be proud of.
I can't see legislation ever changing to 1:3. Nevertheless, I think BM could only accommodate a ratio of 1:2 MAX anyway.

Whatever happens we'd ultimately be restricted to a max capacity of 62k due to the concourse sizes and issues with movement of people around and away from the ground.

A 1.3:1 ratio, will never yield a 60k+ capacity unless far more capacity is given up to safe-standing. At present only the lower section of the South stand and a small part of the visitor's section are earmarked for safe standing. I think that's a total of approximately 7500. That equates to just a 2,250 increase at 1.3:1 and 3,750 at 1.5:1. Even if the whole Lower North stand was also safe-standing, that would only give a total 4-6,000 increase. Making the Upper South stand safe-standing too would nudge it over 60k (at 1.5:1), but that might compromise the concourse space and of course would reduce our seated capacity to less than that at Goodison. Of course that is all dependent on a legislation change, which is by no means a certainty. Colin Chong said at a meeting with Shareholders that he thought any future expansion would be by extending the east and west stands. This of course would require whole new side roof sections. Hopefully it would also help facilitate a closing roof to increase the stadium flexibility/atmosphere.

Exactly.
When we fill near 53k seats consistently after the honeymoon period with a queue out the door then we might be able to say we undersold ourselves, but I can't see it being the case unless we suddenly start winning trophies/getting into Europe each year.
Even optimistically we are a decade away from challenging consistently at the top table, and by that time there could well be the option of safe standing at ratio greater than 1:1.3 which could boost us up to 60k.
I'll take a full house at 52888 every week over 55k with 5k empty.
That's great if you have a ticket, not so great if you dont

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back