New Everton Stadium

Not really. It's just a 2-leg journey. Use the transport links in to the city centre. You're then a couple of miles away from the ground , or 1.2 miles from the Old Hall Street entrance to Moorfields or 1.8 miles from James Street Station. Bus routes take you up Scotland Rd which is about a mile from the ground, and obviously trains run into Sandhils every 5 minutes from the city centre. Loads of black cabs too.

Lots of people in different parts of the city currently have to get 2 buses or 2 trains to Goodison.. The new ground will be easier to get to than Goodison for lots of people in the city, likewise, some might find it a bit more difficult. It's hardly out in Skem though is it? I'm sure many people from Croxteth manage to get to L5 without too many major issues for gods sake.
I think the real issue will still be the people for whom public transport isn't an option and rely on the car. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

I was at the stadium yesterday.

Utterly awesome sight driving in from one of the roads that rise a wee bit higher back towards goodison.

I'm thinking of parking somewhere in between the two locations once it's built for games.
Whereabouts ? 😄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220210-230932_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220210-230932_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 1
Honestly mate, 200m easily, probably more as I went super conservative with the estimate. We had to jump through hoops for years to make sure we had a bulletproof application to get through PP. All that cost an excessive amount before we even started to build.

We decided on BM in 2017 had we chosen the cheap and easy option of Stonebridge Cross it would have flown through PP and even if we said it took two and a half years to go through design and handover to the builders - which is again way longer than it needs, the stadium could have been open for 2023 (I put it back a year to allow for covid), especially given the build time has been reduced due to not filling in the dock. Most of the work would have been carried out pre-financial/global political crisis so most of the materials and workforce would have been at a lower rate. The higher building costs have had an impact with us regarding legal fees and loss of prize money, all that has to be counted.

That sounds like I'm against what we have and that isn't true, I'm fine with the decision, but we shouldn't hide the fact it would have been the better short term decision to bot build there, especially how things panned out. What we do have now is a more prestigious building in a better location but we have to restructure and get a new owner to really start to feel the benefit.

Stone bridge Cross was never an option seriously considered by the club. That was a play by LCC to force the hand of Amazon who were looking to build a new distribution centre. Turns out Warrington offered them better deal.

Like I say I work on Old Hall street and wall to the 10 streets every day. Moorfields is 30 mins on a good day from BMD, so for older people or people with kids your talking longer and then from queen square or Lime street were busses stop it can be 45 mins to an hour easy.

People will find this out once we move.

Do we have an age range in mind where it'll take longer with kids?

2-5 year old takes 15 minutes longer than a 6-10 year old perhaps ( are we including prams at this stage mate) Then are the 11-16 year old are 4/5 minutes quicker than an 8/10 year old!

It's a lot to factor in that there may or may not be a 10-15 minute swing on time difference depending on age of child.

Stone bridge Cross was never an option seriously considered by the club. That was a play by LCC to force the hand of Amazon who were looking to build a new distribution centre. Turns out Warrington offered them better deal.

I think the club were always set on the waterfront anyhow, but say Peel weren't playing ball and we couldn't get anything - then they would have been forced to look at brownfield sites around the city like SBC. (It appears there is still land there that is available to this day to be able to build a stadium on) As long as those were away from the UNESCO area it is likely they could have been built in a much shorter timeframe.

My point is unlike the usual modus operandi, we chose the much more difficult path and unfortunately for us (or just typical Everton depending how you look at it) the delay before being able to start construction because of that has had some pretty serious consequences that we are still working through.

I believe the club chose correctly to go all out for BM once they knew they had a chance to get it, regardless of what has happened. The truth is still there though that we could have delivered a stadium much quicker and far cheaper had we taken the easier option.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back