Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Difficult to see how we score let alone pick up any points tonight.
Unfortunately Newcastle are a far better team than us ( can't believe I'm typing that).
Our survival will depend on beating the likes of Bournemouth and Leeds.

Bookies not fancying us for this one - Barcodes have a daunting home record!

Newcastle v Everton​

• Kick-off time: 19:30 BST, Wednesday
  • TV Channel: Amazon Prime Video
  • Newcastle 3/5 | Draw 3/1 | Everton 9/2
Read Jake Osgathorpe's (@JAKEOZZ) full preview here

Newcastle's xG process in front of their own fans reads an impressive 2.47 xGF and 1.43 xGA per game, with that xGF figure ranking them as the fourth most potent home attacking team.

That in itself is why I'm wanting to get Howe's team on side, as is the fact that they have lost just twice in 19 at St. James' Park since his appointment - those defeats coming against Manchester City and Liverpool.

Across that bigger sample size of home matches, Newcastle have averaged 1.75 xGF and 1.33 xGA per game, which means that if they play to this level every home game against lesser teams, they will likely win.

Add to this the fact that Everton remain incredibly vulnerable away from home, shipping an average of 2.24 xGA per game, and backing NEWCASTLE TO WIN AND OVER 1.5 GOALS appeals at even money.

• CLICK HERE to back Newcastle with Sky Bet
Score prediction: Newcastle 3-1 Everton (Sky Bet odds: 11/1)
I stop reading when I see things like xGA and xGF.

Makes no sense writing this off when we saw just last Saturday a tactic which held out Kane and son until an error gave them a goal.

I mean I'd like to see us eventually be on the ball more and attacking better, but in the meantime it's a complete nonsense to suggest we have no hope of points in this game.
Let's not let a bit of level thinking get in the way of defeatist pessimism a few hours before the game even starts...

Need another Just Stop Oil intervention i reckon

Could do with one of them lads from the Dartford crossing rigging up his sleeping bag in Pickfords goal for sure.

8C987EFC-BB42-4822-8967-7D152549B9A4.jpeg

My team tonight with Palace also in mind at the weekend.
Begovic (Pickford goes mental in that stadium and it will also annoy the fans they can't abuse him)

Holgate if fit save Seamus for Saturday
Tarkowski
Coady (can also see Keane giving a chance here)
Mykolenko

Garner (time for a start)
Onana (Holding his preferred position)
Iwobi (no explanation needed)

Gordon
DCL (hopefully ready)
McNeill (hopefully ready to supply DCL)

Gray
Maupay
Coleman
Pickford

My team tonight with Palace also in mind at the weekend.
Begovic (Pickford goes mental in that stadium and it will also annoy the fans they can't abuse him)

Holgate if fit save Seamus for Saturday
Tarkowski
Coady (can also see Keane giving a chance here)
Mykolenko

Garner (time for a start)
Onana (Holding his preferred position)
Iwobi (no explanation needed)

Gordon
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (hopefully ready)
McNeill (hopefully ready to supply Dominic Calvert-Lewin)

Gray
Maupay
Coleman
Pickford
Is it?

Me too. I'm 89.14% certain it serves no purpose beyond allowing the talking heads on tv/podcasts to make themselves seem like experts by throwing out pointless, invented metrics or whatever the hip new lexicon phrase of the week is. Beyond annoying.
The purpose is to analyze the match beyond the final score. You don't have to like it or participate, but pretending it's all fake is just accepting ignorance. Some people want to understand the game while others are just here for the emotion. Both are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.