Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't agree mate, Wilson can barely stay fit for more than 5 games at a time and ASM is one of the most overrated players in the league, even less end product than Gordon/Gray and Trippier is another who is good when fit but how often is that? They are nothing special and we should not be worrying about Newcastle imo.
Strange comment given that ASM pretty much won the game by himself when we played there last season

We're getting comfortably beaten tonight, I'm not sure why so many on here seem to be underestimating Newcastle away? They're playing really well at the moment and we're still very much a work in progress.

It's a big pitch and they have quick players that'll get in behind our defence unless we sit very very deep. Problem there is that Gordon and Gray constantly make poor choices on the counter, so it's just coming straight back.

3-0 and Callum Wilson to score as he always does against us.

Bookies not fancying us for this one - Barcodes have a daunting home record!

Newcastle v Everton​

• Kick-off time: 19:30 BST, Wednesday
  • TV Channel: Amazon Prime Video
  • Newcastle 3/5 | Draw 3/1 | Everton 9/2
Read Jake Osgathorpe's (@JAKEOZZ) full preview here

Newcastle's xG process in front of their own fans reads an impressive 2.47 xGF and 1.43 xGA per game, with that xGF figure ranking them as the fourth most potent home attacking team.

That in itself is why I'm wanting to get Howe's team on side, as is the fact that they have lost just twice in 19 at St. James' Park since his appointment - those defeats coming against Manchester City and Liverpool.

Across that bigger sample size of home matches, Newcastle have averaged 1.75 xGF and 1.33 xGA per game, which means that if they play to this level every home game against lesser teams, they will likely win.

Add to this the fact that Everton remain incredibly vulnerable away from home, shipping an average of 2.24 xGA per game, and backing NEWCASTLE TO WIN AND OVER 1.5 GOALS appeals at even money.

• CLICK HERE to back Newcastle with Sky Bet
Score prediction: Newcastle 3-1 Everton (Sky Bet odds: 11/1)

We're getting comfortably beaten tonight, I'm not sure why so many on here seem to be underestimating Newcastle away? They're playing really well at the moment and we're still very much a work in progress.

It's a big pitch and they have quick players that'll get in behind our defence unless we sit very very deep. Problem there is that Gordon and Gray constantly make poor choices on the counter, so it's just coming straight back.

3-0 and Callum Wilson to score as he always does against us.

Very much this.

Outside of the scab 6 (who are aided and abetted by FFP) there is no team who we should think are unbeatable. Leicester and WHU squad quality wise are probably best of the rest currently and neither are great this season.

Problem is the fanbase worship the current manager that much that expectations have been purposely dumbed down to the point that Newcastle are talked up as if we're travelling to the Etihad I mean come on Bruno and Trippier aside the rest of them aint any better than our lot.

Hope we nick a 2-1 but @ForeverBlue92 thinks a 1-1 draw tonight.
So you have a go at the fans for lowering expectations and not expecting to win and then go on to state that you think we can't get a win and will only draw.

Fantastic.

Newcastle are probably the best team outside the "big 6" at the moment. Not necessarily in terms of the squad, but Howe has them playing and working extremely well.

They have the best defence in the league in terms of goals conceded and have the 6th best attack in terms of goals scored.

I would be happy to go away to them and get a point.

Our forward line will need to get their act together.

If the league started when Howe took over, they would be in 6th place. We would be in 17th. So anyone pretending we are just as good as them and we should be expecting a result is speaking wham.

It's difficult to feel optimistic about this game, Newcastle seem confident in most games they go in to now. I know they've had a fair whack of money pumped in but the change in mindset since that takeover and Howe appointment is impressive to be fair to them.

Similar to most games this season I think we'll keep it tight and counter which is probably the wise move, I just can't be doing with any daft give away goals.

There's also not a chance in hell Pickford keeps his cool here is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back