Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next Everton Manager

Manager?

• Rhino

Votes: 85 8.7%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Simeone

Votes: 259 26.6%
  • Dyche

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Allardyce

Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree , after years of poor , conservative managerial appointments ( much to our amusement) they finally went out and obtained the services of a highly regarded manager with no previous PL experience, and are now beginning to reap the rewards.

Sadly, dead right.
And they'll strengthen their squad again this summer on the back of this CL campaign, and whether we like it or not, Klippity and his touchline antics seems to inspire players.

It isn't luck.

They have a style of play - so they sign players who fit in with it. We don't have a style of play.

They use data analytics and scouting better than anyone else. Naby Keita will be the next huge success.

Spent less on their front 3 than Sigurdsson/Klaassen/Tosun cost.

They don't use data analysis and scouting better than everyone else mate.

Keira cost Leipzig how much? After one great season the rs where willing to pay?
Same with vvd after a couple of good seasons?

They are buying very well atm, it's a purple patch for sure, but they are paying s premium of late

How much have they spent again since winning the league last - something like 1.2 billion?

They have had this season a very good cup run, and one player who has been in absolutely incredible form, not a chance in hell their analysts or manager thought for one second when they spent a month arguing over the fee for Salah they did so knowing the impact he would have, they got lucky in that regard.

That's the hugely frustrating thing, the majority of their players would have been available and attainable for us over the past few years. I don't mean Salah or Firmino necessarily, but Robertson, Van Dijk, Mane, Wijnaldum etc could all have been brought in while we've been spending the money on Funes Mori, Niasse, Bolasie et al.

The rs haven't bought a single player we wouldn't have been able to have bought in reality mate, same with spurs.

It's down to quality if scouting, and being willing to spend over the odds on players they believe fit the system.

And not being worried about being burnt when it goes wrong, see spurs post bale and the rs post Suarez, both made a gash amount of signings, but flipped them fast and went again into the market.

We need to do the same, noticeably both those changes who was responsible for bringing players in after, with spurs getting the bloke now at RB Leipzig in for example.

Raises massive questions about our scouting regime and player selection methodology, not to mention negotiating skills.
All the top clubs over the years including Liverpool have wasted money on mediocre players. And now it’s our turn and of course we are trying to buy while the market has gone through the roof.

Spurs are a great side, with a fantastic manager. But they have bought poorly over the last 18months and spent about 170mil in the process.

The rs haven't bought a single player we wouldn't have been able to have bought in reality mate, same with spurs.

It's down to quality if scouting, and being willing to spend over the odds on players they believe fit the system.

And not being worried about being burnt when it goes wrong, see spurs post bale and the rs post Suarez, both made a gash amount of signings, but flipped them fast and went again into the market.

We need to do the same, noticeably both those changes who was responsible for bringing players in after, with spurs getting the bloke now at RB Leipzig in for example.
Yeah sorry what I meant was that obviously players like Salah would have chosen to go Liverpool over us 9 times out of 10, but the players I mentioned would have chosen us over Southampton, Newcastle etc.

If the buying of players is always a bit of a gamble then shouldn't there be a game theory that says that if you keep buying the same average shoite players then eventually you will hit that purple patch. Based on that we should sell half the team in the summer, take a massive loss and buy some more.
But of course the points made above all suggest that success comes from buying players most likely to work in your teams style of play - we do not have one!
Which of the 7-8 players Everton bought in the summer were the RS in for? Keane maybe?
Perhaps that should be our buying guide - find a team whose style we want to emulate and then ask ourselves "would they buy player X"
Who else besides us would have bought Williams or rooney?

I think manager rapport is the main pulling power in the case of both Klopp and Poch . The players both these teams have are have basically signed for and commited to Klopp and Poch more than their respective clubs . With KOeman , we also suddenly looked like an interesting prospect because Koeman did have a reputation in NEtherlands and parts of Europe .

I think it is a little like the 'chicken or egg' situation with coaches and players! Do you first get the coach and build for him, or do you get the players and then try and fit a coach in with them. A decision needs to be made which situation is best.

We have a similar issue now at Dortmund. Before, with Klopp, there as a definite policy and methology to the squad building, done very much for the style, and it worked really well, and it was possible to do without spending like crazy. But that was allowed to happen cos it was a long term process, and not often do teams have that loyalty with coaches (both from the team and the coach) so it's hard. But now we see the opposite situation, where we have quick turnaround of coaches, all with different styles of play, and the team is a bit all over the place because of it.

It is impossible to change the whole team, Everton have plenty of good players a good coach can work with. Coach and sporting director need to be totally on the same page though. Until that happens, there will always be trouble, I saw how much trouble that causes at my club in the last couple years, very quickly things can go wrong. But in the same sense, things can be improved and fixed quicker than imagined too.

It isn't luck.

They have a style of play - so they sign players who fit in with it. We don't have a style of play.

They use data analytics and scouting better than anyone else. Naby Keita will be the next huge success.

Spent less on their front 3 than Sigurdsson/Klaassen/Tosun cost.
Absolutely spot on.

They buy players that fit the structure / identity of the team.

We've got from Martinez to Koeman to Allardyce in the space of a few years. Each of them with completely different ideas of football.

Is it any wonder our team has no identity? Is it any wonder than none of the signings are playing anywhere near what is expected- Sig' most of all?

I understood the choice of Allardyce at the time. I even endorsed it to ensure we stay in the league.

But this summer we need to pick a manager and a DOF who are completely in sync. Then we build a team.

Personally, I prefer possession based football so hope it's this Fonseca chap from what i've read / seen or Marco Silva.

I think it is a little like the 'chicken or egg' situation with coaches and players! Do you first get the coach and build for him, or do you get the players and then try and fit a coach in with them. A decision needs to be made which situation is best.

We have a similar issue now at Dortmund. Before, with Klopp, there as a definite policy and methology to the squad building, done very much for the style, and it worked really well, and it was possible to do without spending like crazy. But that was allowed to happen cos it was a long term process, and not often do teams have that loyalty with coaches (both from the team and the coach) so it's hard. But now we see the opposite situation, where we have quick turnaround of coaches, all with different styles of play, and the team is a bit all over the place because of it.

It is impossible to change the whole team, Everton have plenty of good players a good coach can work with. Coach and sporting director need to be totally on the same page though. Until that happens, there will always be trouble, I saw how much trouble that causes at my club in the last couple years, very quickly things can go wrong. But in the same sense, things can be improved and fixed quicker than imagined too.
It does take time, but if the DofF/tech director and coach are on the same page, they can at least be developing younger talent and evaluating senior talent against some common standard of particular quality. Immediate tactics deployed need to reflect existing talent. We can certainly acquire SOME key pieces over the summer, but if they aren’t suitable for how the coach and DofF want us to play - again, they already have the vision - then they are pointless to acquire.

That’s why all this current transfer talk is foolish. But the D of F really needs to choose a manager that he is confident he can work with in forging that vision. He needs accountability for the hire or else he has no incentive to ensure the relationship is good as he can always blame the coach.

That's pretty easy. Both/neither. You need an identity. A way of playing. If we went from Moyes to Martinez to change our identity, that was fine. Going from Martinez to Koeman COMPLETELY changed the way they were supposed to be set up to play as they needed to pretty much gut the entire squad.

What we had the last two windows was almost literally throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Yes also both got very good managers, which we haven’t, Hopefully we will get Fonseca and he be our Poch/Klopp

Absolutely spot on.

They buy players that fit the structure / identity of the team.

We've got from Martinez to Koeman to Allardyce in the space of a few years. Each of them with completely different ideas of football.

Is it any wonder our team has no identity? Is it any wonder than none of the signings are playing anywhere near what is expected- Sig' most of all?

I understood the choice of Allardyce at the time. I even endorsed it to ensure we stay in the league.

But this summer we need to pick a manager and a DOF who are completely in sync. Then we build a team.

Personally, I prefer possession based football so hope it's this Fonseca chap from what i've read / seen or Marco Silva.
I’m not sure Brands’ PSV side or Fonseca’s are possessed focused. I also recognize the value of possession, but know that it’s not necessarily the key to beating Man City or LFC. Not gifting away possession and being able to play multiple ways - wide, by pass midfield, possession with pressure, etc. is what I care most about. All require organization and better decisions within and without the ball (as well as skill at all positions).

That's pretty easy. Both/neither. You need an identity. A way of playing. If we went from Moyes to Martinez to change our identity, that was fine. Going from Martinez to Koeman COMPLETELY changed the way they were supposed to be set up to play as they needed to pretty much gut the entire squad.

What we had the last two windows was almost literally throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks.

The weirdest thing was Koeman going from 4-3-3 to then buying loads of slow #10s and no striker. It made no sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back