Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next Everton Manager

Manager?

• Rhino

Votes: 85 8.7%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Simeone

Votes: 259 26.6%
  • Dyche

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Allardyce

Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of all the names bandied realistically around, he's the one with the potential to really make a huge difference, just liked him since reading a really in depth article whilst he was still at Mainz and kinda kept an eye on him ever since.

Maybe Athletico fans thought the same about Simeone when they went for him,big risk at the time - but they where a massive historic club which had done nothing for years.

At some point i think you do have to just take a calculated gamble, otherwise you end up with 20+ years without winning anything and just making up the numbers

With any club, or business what you hope is those recruiting sit down and do an honest analysis of strengths/weaknesses etc.

As a club, we currently have a young squad, and are from an area that will always produce high quality young players. A big problem has been taking very talented lads at 18/19/20, keeping them together and improving them into top 25/26/27 year olds.

This has to be backed up by the reality that we cannot afford the best players in their prime, but can buy and produce the best players at under 21.

There are lots of clubs who are aware of their lot and explicitly focus a strategy around that. Most European leagues accept this status in relation to the PL now. Clubs like Dortmund, Monaco, Ajax, Leverkusen (In truth most German teams) work along that basis. Have coaches who can work and improve young players.

Anyone looking at our focus, and where we are with a club would then generate a profile of manager that like be European, a respected coach who has experience working with young squads and ideally not someone who moves around every 18 months.

Such an approach would put Tuchel at the very top of the list. He is almost a pin up of what we want. A training ground manager, who revels in working with young players and driving them forward.

Unfortunately I don't think the process we have described above has ever happened. Where the old board is concerned I doubt they've ever really even asked the question "how can Everton be successful in spite of the difficulties". That's how you end up with the list we have of potential candidates.

Not arguing with you about that, and the heads going - i actually think is down to both Willaims and Jagielka being main culprits of it, soon as we concede they give up effectively and then the rest of the team dominoes in on that.

If Mori was fit - then him and Keane should 100% be the starting partnership for all games really, still not brilliant like but would see those other two away from the pitch so they can't spread the malaise any further in a game, short of that - it's hard to see WHAT Unsworth can do exactly before January - play Holgate with Keane? take a absolute wild gamble and throw the young lad Feeney in with Keane and hope Keane being the senior man can step up into a leader role and help his own loss of confidence out by giving him more responsibility?

There is a core of players at the team atm - senior pro's - who basically need cutting out the team due to frankly being so steeped in a loosing mentality and lack of responsibility (except for nice media sound-bites about effort and fighting etc) that all they do is drag the younger players down instead of bolstering them up.

Just a few cases from recent games - Kenny scoring the OG the other day, not one of the senior players comes over - not a single one of them, just dropped heads and lost in their own self pity.

Martina goes down with what at the time looked a absolutely horrid injury, 5-6 Lyon players around him trying to help, or check hes ok, not a single one of ours within 30 yards of the lad, including our captain, absolutely disgusting that and shows a huge lack of team spirit - or at best that their isa collection of groups in the squad and if your not in it then 'f' you basically.

A lot of this is true. One exception though is Wayne Rooney. You see him talking to the young lads on the pitch. He's not everyones cup of tea, but when you watch him on the pitch he's a proper leader.

With any club, or business what you hope is those recruiting sit down and do an honest analysis of strengths/weaknesses etc.

As a club, we currently have a young squad, and are from an area that will always produce high quality young players. A big problem has been taking very talented lads at 18/19/20, keeping them together and improving them into top 25/26/27 year olds.

This has to be backed up by the reality that we cannot afford the best players in their prime, but can buy and produce the best players at under 21.

There are lots of clubs who are aware of their lot and explicitly focus a strategy around that. Most European leagues accept this status in relation to the PL now. Clubs like Dortmund, Monaco, Ajax, Leverkusen (In truth most German teams) work along that basis. Have coaches who can work and improve young players.

Anyone looking at our focus, and where we are with a club would then generate a profile of manager that like be European, a respected coach who has experience working with young squads and ideally not someone who moves around every 18 months.

Such an approach would put Tuchel at the very top of the list. He is almost a pin up of what we want. A training ground manager, who revels in working with young players and driving them forward.

Unfortunately I don't think the process we have described above has ever happened. Where the old board is concerned I doubt they've ever really even asked the question "how can Everton be successful in spite of the difficulties". That's how you end up with the list we have of potential candidates.
Good post mate, completely agree. Unless Usmanov is going to come in then this really is the way we should be approaching and should have approached it when Martinez left. There is absolutely no sign of it, which I find depressing given the number of really good young players we already have. Supplement them with a few more younger players, a couple of old heads and a coach who can improve and is committed to improving young players then we've got a shot at breaking the glass ceiling.

You can only hope that what's happened with Koeman would make them pause for thought. This is the main reason why I wanted to see Unsworth given a go for rest of season. If he can turn it round and introduce some more younger players over the season then you would think that this would strengthen this type of approach. So even if Unsworth wasn't appointed then someone who meets the criteria you described would be.

Not arguing with you about that, and the heads going - i actually think is down to both Willaims and Jagielka being main culprits of it, soon as we concede they give up effectively and then the rest of the team dominoes in on that.

If Mori was fit - then him and Keane should 100% be the starting partnership for all games really, still not brilliant like but would see those other two away from the pitch so they can't spread the malaise any further in a game, short of that - it's hard to see WHAT Unsworth can do exactly before January - play Holgate with Keane? take a absolute wild gamble and throw the young lad Feeney in with Keane and hope Keane being the senior man can step up into a leader role and help his own loss of confidence out by giving him more responsibility?

There is a core of players at the team atm - senior pro's - who basically need cutting out the team due to frankly being so steeped in a loosing mentality and lack of responsibility (except for nice media sound-bites about effort and fighting etc) that all they do is drag the younger players down instead of bolstering them up.

Just a few cases from recent games - Kenny scoring the OG the other day, not one of the senior players comes over - not a single one of them, just dropped heads and lost in their own self pity.

Martina goes down with what at the time looked a absolutely horrid injury, 5-6 Lyon players around him trying to help, or check hes ok, not a single one of ours within 30 yards of the lad, including our captain, absolutely disgusting that and shows a huge lack of team spirit - or at best that their isa collection of groups in the squad and if your not in it then 'f' you basically.
I stated after the Watford game, Rooney, Beni, Besic & apparently Robles all came back onto the pitch to congratulate the team, Williams and Siggurdson nowhere to be seen.

Good post mate, completely agree. Unless Usmanov is going to come in then this really is the way we should be approaching and should have approached it when Martinez left. There is absolutely no sign of it, which I find depressing given the number of really good young players we already have. Supplement them with a few more younger players, a couple of old heads and a coach who can improve and is committed to improving young players then we've got a shot at breaking the glass ceiling.

You can only hope that what's happened with Koeman would make them pause for thought. This is the main reason why I wanted to see Unsworth given a go for rest of season. If he can turn it round and introduce some more younger players over the season then you would think that this would strengthen this type of approach. So even if Unsworth wasn't appointed then someone who meets the criteria you described would be.

Unsworth has done a really good job with the u-23's, so as a club, you would think that part of player development was sorted. However, he's made it clear he wants to be a manager, so there's a dilemma there?

I think one of the biggest tasks for the new manager is to really crack the whip and get these players fit/up to match sharpness. I'm no avid watcher of Swansea but every time I've seen Sigurdsson in recent years he very rarely gave the ball away. He's being brushed aside so easily and I think that's mostly down to fitness.

Than you, you too.

Usmanov coming in would certainly be a spanner in the works as to the strategy. We could go for a different model, but I'd hope we didn't, and we would execute the above plan but with moe money and hopefully a greater ability to keep players as they reached prime.

I agree with Unsworth too. Whether he is the right level is to be seen, but to me he's certainly the right type/profile of manager.

Spot on. We actually had a manager with that Ethos but unfortunately he was a flawed football coach. Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back