Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next Everton Manager

Manager?

• Rhino

Votes: 85 8.7%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Simeone

Votes: 259 26.6%
  • Dyche

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Allardyce

Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately we can discuss the merits of various candidates all day long but in terms of any credible links, only a small handful seem to be in the reckoning, or were.

Clearly they could be in very secretive discussions with somebody and whilst there is mostly bluff in the media, the same set of names eventually settle in relation to links with the job.

The amount of column inches devoted here to Tuchel for example, seems fanciful. Correct me if I am wrong but there is absolutely nothing to suggest he was, or is being considered, let alone approached.

The problem is in the clubs method, or more accurately, lack of. It smacks of Bill and the board huddled together, trying to come up with names themselves, before some underling in the office is mandated to make a telephone call and report back on progress. What on earth do any of them know about it?

What Walsh's role in this is who knows. I suspect either way it doesn't amount to anything.

There are two conceptions of Everton. One is the title-winning, transfer-record breaking, shiny new stadium occupants looking forward to the midweek Champions League game with Barcelona. The other is the reality. If you want an idea of how something will turn out, just look at trends and history.

The rather high likelihood that its neither Simeone, Tuchel, or Ancelotti, or their ilk, but Unsworth or Allardyce tells you all you need to know.

I think this is a very pertinent point about the process. It was far from smooth under Bill but you kind of had an idea of what he was looking for. Essentially guys who knew the league, were younger managers who'd managed smaller clubs in the league and people we wouldn't have to fork out massive compensation for. Dyche ticks most of those boxes, while it's fair to say we probably couldn't have got Dyche under Kenwright, we would never have sacked a manager. I suspect if it was "old Everton" we'd have made a move for Chris Wlder from Sheffield United.

Nobody can really tell the motives of Moshiri. This Simeone link (and leak) is a massive swerve ball. It's either indicative of a man who knows there will be drastic changes over the coming months, or is a huge bluff on his part. I am feeling pessimistic and sense it's the latter, but we can't discount the former completely, if a certain unnamed shareholder of Arsenal sold up, we would again be in a strong negotiating position, and all bets are off for the direction of the club.

If it's a bluff though it's a mistake for me. I'd say a majority of people are already underwhelmed and disappointed with our progress since he took over. Evertonians are a romantic bunch at heart, but also quite literal with a strong memory for detail. Having made a big deal of Simeone if we end up with a Dyche level manager (or even a Silva) people will be underwhelmed. He had no reason to say this other than as a last desperate act to get people to numb to the possibility of Allardyce, yet Allardyce doesn't look likely to be appointed within a time frame where it would make sense to pre-empt that with Simeone talk. The two won't see bound together now.

I sense the plan was to see how fans would react. I do think they are being led now, putting stories out and seeing what the response is, which for the most part is negative and then bottling it. This seems to have happened with Dyche, Allardyce and Unsworth who remain options fans seem lukewarm on for slightly differing reasons. The alternative is, as has been suggested the Simeone link was to try and force a manager (perhaps Allardyce) to come to the negotiating table or downgrade their demands. It would seem a silly link if true, as nobody would think it in any way plausible.

What we have though, at the top of the club at least is a rudderless shambles. I understand its better than appointing Moyes, but in many ways it's not. West Ham's board came to a decision for better or worse, went with it, backed themselves and had the conviction that he fans will come around. We are making no decision. If the plan is to give Unsworth time, the use of phrases like "stand in" have done him no favours. I have little doubt they were expecting to name somebody else.

We hear a lot, even from good Evertonians who are very thoughtful (like the guys on EBM) talking about "we need a manager who fits the project" but that will only make sense when those in charge of the club make it clear what the project is. People have inferred we are trying to Dortmund it, but again we have little evidence of this.

So yes I agree with your analysis. It is chaotic and they are desperately hoping Unsworth can get us some good results so he can now get the job until the end of the season, mainly due to nobody being brave enough to make a clear unpopular decision and take the flak for it.

He's also not had any premier league experience. You never know how a manager is going to adapt to that.
Also as brieverton has said he's never been mentioned as a serious candidate outside of the forums.
I think the necessity of the bit in bold is a bit overstated, Conte didn't have any PL experience before Chelsea and he did alright (I know that we're not in the same orbit as Chelsea atm but he beat Guardiola's Citeh and Mourinho's Manure to the title in his first season of PL footy). Moyes has a ton of PL experience but he's still going to relegate West Ham.

He's also not had any premier league experience. You never know how a manager is going to adapt to that.
Also as brieverton has said he's never been mentioned as a serious candidate outside of the forums.

The premiership experience thing is utter crap though in reality.

Every single premier league title has been won by a manager who when arriving in this country to manager had zero premier league experience (the only exception being Dalglish at Blackburn) and besides for that one - the only other one who didn't win it at the first club they went to was Ranierri

I think the necessity of the bit in bold is a bit overstated, Conte didn't have any PL experience before Chelsea and he did alright (I know that we're not in the same orbit as Chelsea atm but he beat Guardiola's Citeh and Mourinho's Manure to the title in his first season of PL footy). Moyes has a ton of PL experience but he's still going to relegate West Ham.

Prem league experience is paper and owner speech for wanting to hire a cheap and british manager usually

Gutted there isn't even have a sniff of a rumour for my handsome prince.

I'll never give in ... #TeamPauloFonseca

536301576.webp

Prem league experience is paper and owner speech for wanting to hire a cheap and british manager usually

To be fair Steve, I think in many ways it makes sense. There is an incumbency bias in knowing the league, and often domestic managers have most experience of this. It's not the only factor that, and it shouldn't be a crucial factor never mind a central one.

Everton operate in many ways like a European club playing in England. We are more suited to a European manager.

To be fair Steve, I think in many ways it makes sense. There is an incumbency bias in knowing the league, and often domestic managers have most experience of this. It's not the only factor that, and it shouldn't be a crucial factor never mind a central one.

Everton operate in many ways like a European club playing in England. We are more suited to a European manager.

Moyes - no prem league experience
Martinez - 4/5 years experience
Koeman - 2 years experience

which was better manager for the club

Leicester signed Aleksandar Dragovic, Harry Maguire, Kelechi Iheanacho, Adrien Silva and Vicente Iborra and they had Shakespeare.

btw - I would probably take all of them. It really makes you wonder what we were playing at.
I never miss an opportunity to repeat my feeling that we made a blunder in not taking Maguire in the close season.
Even more so given the form of the three centre backs since August.

Marco Silva ... but it’s becoming complicated & expensive.

Don’t shoot the weasel.
Given that Watford were hiring and firing managers for fun in the recent past, they can hardly complain if their manager turns the tables and shows an interest in furthering his career elsewhere.

It would be a very small pool of managers to choose from if that were part of the criteria. There's a big world out there but then that doesn't suit the hand-in-glove relationship certain British managers have with a lickspittle media.

Gutted there isn't even have a sniff of a rumour for my handsome prince.

I'll never give in ... #TeamPauloFonseca

View attachment 41923

Winter break from Dec 10th. Maybe Unsworth's been asked for another month......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back