• Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Save us

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

..that’s what we need, a Matey. 20 points at Christmas is the minimum benchmark, 4 wins by January will put us in a decent position.

Exactly. 20 points first half, then a coach with half a brain gets us 30 in the second half.

Sadly I think its been proven that its not as simple as that. If we were willing to pay Watford £20m for Silva, you would assume that the offer of a huge cash incentive to Tuchel would have at least been considered.

There is this idea in the Sky era, that it's possible to "throw money" at people and/or problems. The reality is far more complex. We have struggled to attract players of a certain quality and the same goes for managers.

Logic suggests that a team that has just invested its greatest ever gross transfer spend shouldn't be reduced to a quivering wreck, but football doesn't work like that.

I would go as far as to say that the availabilty of cash to spend, albeit modest, has actually contributed in large part to our problems this season, merely as its arrival obviously contributed to spending it in such an uncoordinated, carefree manner, thanks to Koeman and Walsh. We will end up paying the bills on this for a long time.

The crux of the problem is, that because of an egalitarian(ish) distribution of TV funds, clubs necessity to sell has almost diminished. This may not last forever, as with previous bubbles wages may catch up and clubs will then be short of money again, but given how much further ahead we are than any other league in terms of revenue I find it hard to think it will happen as quickly or in truth at all.

People listen to lads like Jamie Redknap declaring "he will go when the money's right" in relation to VVD. Not only is he an idiot but he's living in the past. There is no incentive to sell if he has 5 years to run, much like Countinho this summer.

In years gone by, Watford would have seen the offer as a nice little earner. They have no need too now. At this moment Silva may literally be priceless.

Everton will no doubt claim bad luck via the local journos. They should have had a proper shortlist of 8 or 10 names and been speaking to people 3 or 4 at once from the moment Koeman went (and probably before).

Let's put it this way, when go to sell a product I am expected to quickly ascertain likelyhood of success. If I spend weeks on something which doesn't come off, it wouldn't be an excuse for me to say "well they wouldn't budge". Rightly they would say you hadn't prospected the difficulties properly.

We repeat the same patterns as the summer. We got dragged on and on with Sigurdsson and because we Elstone/Kenwright can't close deals and can only work on one deal at a time we are left with too little time to do essential business. We have to question, are they fit to be running a Premier League football club?

In my workplace, if last night would have happened there would have been a 0900 meeting and a statement put out. We will get neither. Incredible.

He sort of makes it sound like he's a medium and the messages are spelled out letter by letter by a glass moving round the alphabet...Is there anybody there?

Isn’t Moshiri a knob dropping stories off with this fella
We are pretty small time but no need to act it out live

Isn’t Moshiri a knob dropping stories off with this fella
We are pretty small time but no need to act it out live

Yes. He seems to be the only one who doesn't realise it. The only time you can get away with behaviour like this is when you're top of the league.

My main reservation I had about “Big Sam” is that he would come in and remove the back room staff; Unsworth, Ferguson, Royle, etc.

But at this point, that doesn’t bother me as much as the thought of watching performances like last night, for the rest of the season. Clear them all out and start fresh if we have to.

To me, you can talk about “brands” of football all day long, in an ideal world I would love us to play like Barcelona or Man City, but in the real world I would just like us to win. Win ugly if needs be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back