Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wise and true words from an excellent manager.

"There is a need to have an opinion and criticise the losing team. The modern game is ruthless and at the back of a defeat you'll get criticised - and everyone has an opinion and everyone knows better than you and that's disappointing.

"It's part of the job. Win and you're a genius but lose and it's the worst thing that can ever happen.

Its just like me taking my car in and telling them I need a new head gasket only to be told I only have a flat tyre.
I am not a mechanic, I am not a Football manager so who am I to pretend I know better than them.

Wise and true words from an excellent manager.

"There is a need to have an opinion and criticise the losing team. The modern game is ruthless and at the back of a defeat you'll get criticised - and everyone has an opinion and everyone knows better than you and that's disappointing.

"It's part of the job. Win and you're a genius but lose and it's the worst thing that can ever happen.

Its just like me taking my car in and telling them I need a new head gasket only to be told I only have a flat tyre.
I am not a mechanic, I am not a Football manager so who am I to pretend I know better than them.
The media that we have in football are toxic. They hunt down those they perceive to be vulnerable in their jobs and pull together in unison to get a kill. Disgusting people. We saw it in the run up to the Chelsea cup tie in our local press (plagiarising geniuses like Prentice putting the boot in and contacting their former Echo stablemates now in the national press like the repugnant McNulty and Chris Bascombe) and then it's a stampede culminating in the insulting BBC match coverage on Saturday night that had the 'experts' questioning RMs position on about 10 different occasions before being piped right down with the result and the manner of it.

They've moved onto Wenger now...then after him some other poor bugger will be in their cross hairs. And the feeble minded in a club's support pick it up and run with it making it a self fulfilling prophecy.

The media that we have in football are toxic. They hunt down those they perceive to be vulnerable in their jobs and pull together in unison to get a kill. Disgusting people. We saw it in the run up to the Chelsea cup tie in our local press (plagiarising geniuses like Prentice putting the boot in and contacting their former Echo stablemates now in the national press like the repugnant McNulty and Chris Bascombe) and then it's a stampede culminating in the insulting BBC match coverage on Saturday night that had the 'experts' questioning RMs position on about 10 different occasions before being piped right down with the result and the manner of it.

They've moved onto Wenger now...then after him some other poor bugger will be in their cross hairs. And the feeble minded in a club's support pick it up and run with it making it a self fulfilling prophecy.

I always remember with the Harry Redknapp for England manager thing people questions whether it was the presses choice or the fans choice. In fairness I don't think it was as black and white as that, as I imagine most fans would have had Redknap over Hodgson but I do get the point.

The media far from reflecting the public direct them. I am seeing it subtly with Stones currently. There's some hack in the Sun today having a go at Everton for holding out too high a price for him and then not playing him. Sort of a "if you value him at 50 million then he has to start" type of argument. You know that will start to cotton on with knuckle dragging Chelsea and City fans as they try to price him away for a lower fee and they will start parroting it.

It's nonsense like that that gets passed around as Gospel too. The "Everton wanted 45 million" in the summer will be a fact soon because some hack lied about it. If a 45 million bid is rejected it will then be reported as "Everton go back on what they said originally and have let Stones and England down". You can see how the pressure will start.

As I said it has no resemblance to reality. The reality is Everton very clearly said Stones was simply not for sale. We refused to name a number we'd sell him for. It was the media who did that (several times) and were wrong on each occasion. But there's no humility and they are back raking up mud again. The reality is of course, we had a young defender, who we have bought for 2 million and have no need to sell for financial reasons, so we elected to keep him. We didn't put a price on him, we just said we wanted him in our squad. We currently don't deem him good enough to start. A 2 million 20 year old right back not good enough to start is the factual position. There's no need for it to be overblown as it's starting to be.

It's the same with managers. Once they get their claws in they are gone. It's one of the few things I've always admired about Kenwright, that he has an understanding of football that is a cut above your average hack and doesn't play their games re managers. He will give them time and won't bow to pressure of a bad 6 or 7 results.

The media's role in football has been reduced to that of ringleader of the tormenters.

Ive long thought McNulty has an agenda against Martinez(im not sticking up for Martinez, I do feel some of the criticism borders on being personal) and i think it simply goes back to his pedigree I.e Ex-Wigan manager.
Think McNulty has wanted him to fail from day one, just so he can proclaim to have superior knowledge.
Your point about the press couldnt be said better! Ive seen the likes of Holt,Rory Smith and John Cross/Darren Lewis get into fights with fans on twitter and then one after another they all come out of the woodwork to back up their pal who's got into an argument! And their arrogance is unbelievable they will never admit someone else with an opposite view may have a point.

I always remember with the Harry Redknapp for England manager thing people questions whether it was the presses choice or the fans choice. In fairness I don't think it was as black and white as that, as I imagine most fans would have had Redknap over Hodgson but I do get the point.

The media far from reflecting the public direct them. I am seeing it subtly with Stones currently. There's some hack in the Sun today having a go at Everton for holding out too high a price for him and then not playing him. Sort of a "if you value him at 50 million then he has to start" type of argument. You know that will start to cotton on with knuckle dragging Chelsea and City fans as they try to price him away for a lower fee and they will start parroting it.

It's nonsense like that that gets passed around as Gospel too. The "Everton wanted 45 million" in the summer will be a fact soon because some hack lied about it. If a 45 million bid is rejected it will then be reported as "Everton go back on what they said originally and have let Stones and England down". You can see how the pressure will start.

As I said it has no resemblance to reality. The reality is Everton very clearly said Stones was simply not for sale. We refused to name a number we'd sell him for. It was the media who did that (several times) and were wrong on each occasion. But there's no humility and they are back raking up mud again. The reality is of course, we had a young defender, who we have bought for 2 million and have no need to sell for financial reasons, so we elected to keep him. We didn't put a price on him, we just said we wanted him in our squad. We currently don't deem him good enough to start. A 2 million 20 year old right back not good enough to start is the factual position. There's no need for it to be overblown as it's starting to be.

It's the same with managers. Once they get their claws in they are gone. It's one of the few things I've always admired about Kenwright, that he has an understanding of football that is a cut above your average hack and doesn't play their games re managers. He will give them time and won't bow to pressure of a bad 6 or 7 results.

The media's role in football has been reduced to that of ringleader of the tormenters.
The 'commentariat'...Merson, Sutton and Barton in particular...have tried almost all season to use Martinez as a convenient whipping boy.

Sutton is appalling. He's on the periphery of tv punditry: a foot in at both the BBC and Sky and determined to force himself into one of their lucrative contracts - and he's used Martinez as a pawn in his game to sound 'controversial' and 'edgy' to earn that contract and prove himself. A numb nuts worzel with straw stuffed into that daft as a brush head where a brain should be.

Barton as well: "I fink eez gonna take dem down lad...I speek to me famuly an stuff and dey tell me dat der fry-tonned to deff dat eez gonna relugate dem and dat".

...and then you have people on here quoting him! Hilarious.

The 'commentariat'...Merson, Sutton and Barton in particular...have tried almost all season to use Martinez as a convenient whipping boy.

Sutton is appalling. He's on the periphery of tv punditry: a foot in at both the BBC and Sky and determined to force himself into one of their lucrative contracts - and he's used Martinez as a pawn in his game to sound 'controversial' and 'edgy' to earn that contract and prove himself. A numb nuts worzel with straw stuffed into that daft as a brush head where a brain should be.

Barton as well: "I fink eez gonna take dem down lad...I speek to me famuly an stuff and dey tell me dat der fry-tonned to deff dat eez gonna relugate dem and dat".

...and then you have people on here quoting him! Hilarious.

Wrong thread David, this is the thread for discussing which genius we will bring in when we finally shed that stone around our neck called El Coco.

Ive long thought McNulty has an agenda against Martinez(im not sticking up for Martinez, I do feel some of the criticism borders on being personal) and i think it simply goes back to his pedigree I.e Ex-Wigan manager.
Think McNulty has wanted him to fail from day one, just so he can proclaim to have superior knowledge.
Your point about the press couldnt be said better! Ive seen the likes of Holt,Rory Smith and John Cross/Darren Lewis get into fights with fans on twitter and then one after another they all come out of the woodwork to back up their pal who's got into an argument! And their arrogance is unbelievable they will never admit someone else with an opposite view may have a point.
Unspeakable scum they are.

I listened to Radio Merseyside's phone in on Monday, and McNulty was interviewed. He was obviously gutted Everton beat Chelsea because his (and his mate's at the Echo, Prentice) long term project of seeing Martinez sacked had just evaporated in one 90 minute game. "Everyone knows that I've been critical of Martinez", he said. The self important, rat-faced nobhead.

Typical of him. He hounded Joe Royle out of his job by doing Peter Johnson's bidding for him back in the 90s. It shouldn't surprise anyone that he thinks he's some sort of king maker at Everton.

If Roberto's league form hadn't been so dire for the last 2 years not 2 months (with a talented squad) then the BBC, local press and national media wouldn't have a story. Come to think of it,we wouldn't even have this thread. Martinez can only turn it around one way, to get the media and the fans (me included) off his back to win football games. He did very well last week, but one swallow doesn't make a summer, I want to see more results like that on a regular basis and the fans and media won't have a story to write about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back