Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Roberto's league form hadn't been so dire for the last 2 years not 2 months (with a talented squad) then the BBC, local press and national media wouldn't have a story. Come to think of it,we wouldn't even have this thread. Martinez can only turn it around one way, to get the media and the fans (me included) off his back to win football games. He did very well last week, but one swallow doesn't make a summer, I want to see more results like that on a regular basis and the fans and media won't have a story to write about.
Lol. We had a 'Is Martinez good enough?' thread before the first ball was kicked in his first season here.

As for the press and pundits - they sniff blood in the water and are onto it like a school of piranha.

The 'commentariat'...Merson, Sutton and Barton in particular...have tried almost all season to use Martinez as a convenient whipping boy.

Sutton is appalling. He's on the periphery of tv punditry: a foot in at both the BBC and Sky and determined to force himself into one of their lucrative contracts - and he's used Martinez as a pawn in his game to sound 'controversial' and 'edgy' to earn that contract and prove himself. A numb nuts worzel with straw stuffed into that daft as a brush head where a brain should be.

Barton as well: "I fink eez gonna take dem down lad...I speek to me famuly an stuff and dey tell me dat der fry-tonned to deff dat eez gonna relugate dem and dat".

...and then you have people on here quoting him! Hilarious.

Merson is a buffoon but I can't really dislike him too much. A plain dealign villain as it were. He doesn't try to hide any sinister ambition, he's just a plain goon. He is who he is and lucky that there will always be a role for the village idiot to make people laugh.

Barton I've always thought is quite a clever opinionated guy. It's a shame he's fallen down to football punditry. Kind of the anti-mersin really who is perfect for it.

The one that gets my goat is Sutton. He has had a number of narky comments about us over a period of time. Often just subtle things but always putting us down. Comments about not selling Stones when Van Dijk is as good, us asking for too much money etc. Like it has anything to do with him.
I think the thing with Sutton is, he's incredibly blinkered for the sides he's played for (namely Norwich and Celtic). Quite what he felt he had to offer to Everton and Stones I'll never know.

Martinez is definitely the outsider and they don't want their principles to be made to look stupid so they quite like getting stuck in. It's the same with Wenger too really. If you don't have 8 guys over 6 ft hacking each other down then washing it all down with several pints at the end of the game you are a bit foreign to them and not welcome.

It's ironic really as that was all the above 3 were any good for anyway, particularly Sutton.

Merson is a buffoon but I can't really dislike him too much. A plain dealign villain as it were. He doesn't try to hide any sinister ambition, he's just a plain goon. He is who he is and lucky that there will always be a role for the village idiot to make people laugh.

Barton I've always thought is quite a clever opinionated guy. It's a shame he's fallen down to football punditry. Kind of the anti-mersin really who is perfect for it.

The one that gets my goat is Sutton. He has had a number of narky comments about us over a period of time. Often just subtle things but always putting us down. Comments about not selling Stones when Van Dijk is as good, us asking for too much money etc. Like it has anything to do with him.
I think the thing with Sutton is, he's incredibly blinkered for the sides he's played for (namely Norwich and Celtic). Quite what he felt he had to offer to Everton and Stones I'll never know.

Martinez is definitely the outsider and they don't want their principles to be made to look stupid so they quite like getting stuck in. It's the same with Wenger too really. If you don't have 8 guys over 6 ft hacking each other down then washing it all down with several pints at the end of the game you are a bit foreign to them and not welcome.

It's ironic really as that was all the above 3 were any good for anyway, particularly Sutton.
Sutton has never liked Everton. I remember years ago when he was at Blackburn and we'd been doing ok and he was asked if he was fearing a tough game and he said something like Everton being nothing to fear because they weren't a big club anymore. He's a thick worzel with a big mouth.

Martinez and these reporters and commentators: I tell you what I think is also behind it besides results that have fallen below where they should be: it has a whiff of bullying about it. Would they ever have dared said half the things they say about Martinez to attack Moyes? I highly doubt it. Martinez is more easy going and they dont need fear a slap off him. It's as basic as that with these people.

Lol. We had a 'Is Martinez good enough?' thread before the first ball was kicked in his first season here.

As for the press and pundits - they sniff blood in the water and are onto it like a school of piranha.
I think there was apprehension initially due to many seeing him coming from a relegated team and fearing the job was too big for him, even though he had won the fa cup.
Whenever a manager takes over a club there will be an element of apprehension as fans wonder whether the appointment will work. I bet even some city fans (not many I'd guess) are worried if Pep can replicate the success he had with barca and bayern cos there is an assumption they were already great teams when he went there.

Personally think Jose is just a rich man's Pulis. Don't really fancy anyone on that list. I like that lad at Tottenham though. He's nice

Which wasn't what I asked at all mate.

I was talking about you wanting Maradona and Di Canio to replace Martinez you big crazy.

You also asked for an apology, but an apology isn't warranted, not unless Martinez somehow manages to turn this second utterly dreadful season in a row into a success.

Not the ale house league king again? And the feller who's led Ajax to titles in a one horse race.

Smashing. Let's give it a go.

Philip Cocu won the league in his first season which shows De Boer up a bit really. Hes also going to win it this sesson as well and thats after selling a few players like Depay!

As for Sutton, something i think had gone on with him and us. We actually bid for him and he spoke to us. I think it was before he joined Blackburn, in any case perhaps someone rubbed him up the wrong way?

Philip Cocu won the league in his first season which shows De Boer up a bit really. Hes also going to win it this sesson as well and thats after selling a few players like Depay!

As for Sutton, something i think had gone on with him and us. We actually bid for him and he spoke to us. I think it was before he joined Blackburn, in any case perhaps someone rubbed him up the wrong way?
De Boer's been at Ajax as manager for about 6 seasons. I cant remember a strong link between him and any top European clubs - which is unsurprising when you see his poor CL and EL record with Ajax.

I have no idea where his credibility comes from. If you manage Ajax the bare minimum is to win the Eredivisie...and that's all he's achieved.

De Boer's been at Ajax as manager for about 6 seasons. I cant remember a strong link between him and any top European clubs - which is unsurprising when you see his poor CL and EL record with Ajax.

I have no idea where his credibility comes from. If you manage Ajax the bare minimum is to win the Eredivisie...and that's all he's achieved.

Well, the mandate i think is to win the league as a minimum and also bring through youth to sell at a large profit...then of course go as far as possible kn the champions league.

He was doing well but of course how to tell in a one horse race? Now Cocu has shown up and won the league with a lot of very young players brought up from the u19 side he was managing the only thing that could have been said was Depay did one better than Suarez and won the league for them.

Problem is Cocu sold him for massive money and they are on course to win the league again and also went quite far in europe too.

For me, if Martinez did leave (for whatever reason) then Cocu would be as close to him as we could find so would make sense to hire him to continue Martinez' work.

Well, the mandate i think is to win the league as a minimum and also bring through youth to sell at a large profit...then of course go as far as possible kn the champions league.

He was doing well but of course how to tell in a one horse race? Now Cocu has shown up and won the league with a lot of very young players brought up from the u19 side he was managing the only thing that could have been said was Depay did one better than Suarez and won the league for them.

Problem is Cocu sold him for massive money and they are on course to win the league again and also went quite far in europe too.

For me, if Martinez did leave (for whatever reason) then Cocu would be as close to him as we could find so would make sense to hire him to continue Martinez' work.
...also, you'd never know just how much input Bergkamp has at Ajax. De Boer could just be a good front of shop man.

...also, you'd never know just how much input Bergkamp has at Ajax. De Boer could just be a good front of shop man.

You mean like when Joachim Low was assistant to Klinsmann :)

Its been mentioned in a few places about Bergkamp but who really knows and he cant fly as well so thats not ideal. I think its a case of needing them both to get a job elsewhere like when Swansea were in for De Boer but then decided on this other chap. Seems they werent too taken with him.

Cocu has just come in and upset the apple cart so Ajax could even sack De Boer if he cant stop an inferior and younger more inexperienced team for the second year in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back