Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 words why we'll never go for Jose: Bill Kenwright. He'll want a young upcoming manager in the Moyes/Martinez mould.

Der Boer or Eddie Howe I'm almost certain are the 2 he'll look at, although we can pray Moshiri personally wants to appoint the next manager and goes for Mourinho, I would absolutely love us to get him.

2 words why we'll never go for Jose: Bill Kenwright. He'll want a young upcoming manager in the Moyes/Martinez mould.

Der Boer or Eddie Howe I'm almost certain are the 2 he'll look at, although we can pray Moshiri personally wants to appoint the next manager and goes for Mourinho, I would absolutely love us to get him.
What's he go to do with it?

What's he go to do with it?

Quite a lot if Moshiri is a hands off owner. He's already been given the role of dealing with transfers with the manager, sadly a lot of people are forgetting he's still chairman of the club and despite not being the big man anymore, he'll have as much influence as Moshiri is willing to give him.

Sadly I've seen little of the new fella to know for sure that he's gonna be a hands on owner who'll be calling the shots independently.

Quite a lot if Moshiri is a hands off owner. He's already been given the role of dealing with transfers with the manager, sadly a lot of people are forgetting he's still chairman of the club and despite not being the big man anymore, he'll have as much influence as Moshiri is willing to give him.

Sadly I've seen little of the new fella to know for sure that he's gonna be a hands on owner who'll be calling the shots independently.
If you were investing hundreds of millions wouldn't you want a say? He'd be a fool to let others make the important decisions. If he does, then we are no better off.

Theres quite a difference between a hands off owner (passive investor) and Moshiri.

If Moshiri wants Mourinho he will get him.

There is no doubt in my mind about that, hes a billionaire for a reason and not just a billionaire whose had a single company perform for him either.

We will either have Martinez or Moshiri will go and get the best he thinks is available.

Read thst Collymore (never heard him on his 'radio show') who is at best an unsavoury character thinks or hss been told ee are speaking with De Boer.

Now, firstly Ajax have done nothing in Europe with him in charge (absolutely nothing).

Secondly they have been top since he joined as they have the best players coming through their academy and also have signed players out of reach of their competitors.

He has been the manager of a Celtic without the rangers element and as soon as PSV and Philip Cocu came onto the scene they took the title off him (and may do so this season as well).

Yes he has a good CV but why has no one else gone for him-- Swansea rejected him recently apparently.

Doesnt seem to be an inspired choice to me if this is true, surely Cocu would be the one to go for who has an equally as solid resume and has done better relative to his club.

For me, if Moshiri wants a manager he will get almost anyone in the world. I think Simeone may be out of reach as he seems to be an Atletico legend who will stsy there for many years. Also Conte and others who are joining new clubs wont be accessible.

However, the Mourinho calls are not impossible. We have the nucleus of players and money. Also the fans would be onside from day one with him and the players most likely mesmerised by his aura. That would be a major statement from Moshiri also.

However it would mean the ethos of the club would totally change and so i think we would go for continuity and someone who could be seen to picking up the baton from martinez and taking us onward....tuchel has form under Klopp for this.

Any chance we can have a Bilic/Pochettino-esque replacement? I believe such type of manager(build from back, high pressing, promote local players) can certainly bring us back to top 6.

Fun facts: Fikret Orman, the president of Besiktas, once considered Roberto Martinez as their new manager, but went for Bilic eventually.

Any chance we can have a Bilic/Pochettino-esque replacement? I believe such type of manager(build from back, high pressing, promote local players) can certainly bring us back to top 6.

Fun facts: Fikret Orman, the president of Besiktas, once considered Roberto Martinez as their new manager, but went for Bilic

The muppet.

Right, so, as I said earlier (3 days earlier I think, not sure) - I've been watching most of those on the list cuz I'm a massive nerd and, right now, being perfectly honest, it's not like we're in some amazing form, so I have to kill time before/after our games anyway, as just thinking about us is frustrating :( So here we go, with pictures, and a TL;DR at the end.

Aitor Karanka
Birmingham+City+v+Middlesbrough+Sky+Bet+Championship+WY7cVmxAxtll.jpg
-
bit meh, really. He could be a good option, don't get me wrong, but Championship and Premiership are two different animals, and he's not yet proven at all, and we definitely want a winner, right? If this was 3 years ago - I'd be okay with it, really, but we want better now, right? He's worked with Mourinho in Madrid, but still...

Mark Hughes, Rafael - ...no comment needed... Please no. Not even gonna include pictures ffs!

Jose
Alex-12.jpg

we really can't afford him. I mean, I'd love and hate him here for several reasons - I admire his tactical style, is a reason to like him - but the man is a walking controversy, and a scandal waiting to happen. Should come with the label "Use at own risk"... Transfer dealings are a bit suspect at times, and he ruins EVERY single winger that has ever played for him (except Ronaldo I guess, but he's basically a football god at this point).

Eddie Howe
238EE09700000578-2862867-image-m-13_1417816241092.jpg

improvement over Karanka, but still not convinced he'd be a proven winner type, really. As a difference to Karanka, he's actually won stuff in his managerial career, but it's really too soon, imo, for him to have this step up - yes, I know we're lower than them right now, but that's not my point - defensively they're as bad as us at times really, but they've managed to turn those draws into wins and losses, whereas we've just drawn or lost them... I know he doesn't have the same bunch of players, but he has essentially his own team and, with the current money situation they're not really skint either - 7m for some Welsh lad, 10m for Afobe, etc.. What I'm trying to say is he might not have the required eye for a transfer. I know we'll have the money now as well, but I'd rather we don't spend £20m on some no-mark, like... Plus he said he wants to stay with his love-child at Bournemouth, so...

David Moyes
Manager-David-Moyes-shocked-22806171.jpg

way past his time for us. Simply a "no" here suffices, but - when he came to us, we needed him. He set everything up for safety, then moved slightly up, which was great, but he lacked that final bit of bite and nous. We want progress, not mid-table stability, at least we should want that.

Vitor
2963218A00000578-0-image-a-95_1433545405368.jpg

Judas. @MoutsGoat knows better than me here. Winner and all, everywhere he's been, but the man can't seem to stay at a job for more than 5 seconds, so no. Also Rangers wanted him, and that's always a sign to stay clear. The funny hyperlink here is this image, which pops up when you google "Vitor Pereira" a few pages in. Weird.

Frank de Boer
Frank-de-Boer-Ajax-manager-wants-Premier-League1.jpg

Personally my favourite for the position, I just like him. From a gameplay point of view, I've said it before, but - he sets his teams up according to the opposition, which is something we've tried to do, but failed for several reasons. If they play a game against tougher opposition - he sets up very much for the counter; packed in defence, quick on the break, and might I say very successfully (in the times I've seen them play recently). When they play smaller teams they're instantly on the front foot, but defensively still stable, and seem to enjoy mixing it up a bit by going both direct and shooting from distance, as well as keeping on the ground. Also has Bergkamp and a Dutch former player (defender or GK, not sure) as assistants. Now, numero dos from the lands of fake-Belgium:

Philip Cocu
CSKA-PSV_(5).jpg

Martinez with actual defending is what I'd say, but in his attempts to kill off games by attacking PSV are really, really open to counters, and that seems to be a bit of a problem for them, from my observations at least. Case and point is the game against Ajax from a few weeks ago - PSV went out to attack, Ajax stayed back and waited for the break. Possession - 70% for PSV. Result - 2:0 to Ajax. Plus he looks like he could be the villain from a Disney film, which I can't decide if it's a good or bad thing.

Both are proven winners though, and both have played in Europe plenty, and both have experience in squad building and using the academies in their respective clubs.

Someone who I don't think we'll get, and is probably gonna split opinion here, but I like him anyway:
article-0-1A23C7FA00000578-441_634x398.jpg

Yup, it's AVB. We all know him, the squatting weirdo. Maybe this is why I like him, #SlavSquat after all. Back to the 'serious' side of this though - he was booted from both his jobs in England, but for inconsistent, rather than bad results. He'd get 3-4 wins, then lose 4:0 to Norwich at home or something, then get 3-4 wins... you get the point. He seems to have removed that from his game so far in Russia, even if the odd hiccup still happens, but that happens to anyone really. Proven winner as well, and my worry would be that we'd sign 75 midfielders under the age of 23 or not use the academy fully. Reason he maybe won't come is because he said he and his family want to move to/closer to Portugal, but England's pretty close I guess, plus he's not ruled out a Prem return, according to some papers recently.

TL;DR, because I know most won't even read this wall of text: I'm a bad nerd and watch footy loads. This is a breakdown of managers with my thoughts about it, read about the ones you want here if you like. I've also put some fun hyperlinks cuz why not, but sadly no animals bumming.

Think it's more transitional with Kenwright - Moshiri will want a strong say - condition of him coming in I'm sure. It's why he came I believe - he wanted more influence then he had at Arsenal. He's a business guy - he'll see the reality of the Martinez situation. He'll want to go for the best. More a question of if the very best want to come to us and who's available at this time I believe. Believe it's pretty key to act in this respect in the next month or two - to have a chance of retaining the likes of Lukaku - and giving the new top drawer manager the chance to deploy the big summer transfer budget
Lukaku = Gone

Pipe dream manager : Jose
Experienced and maybe even possible options : Mancini, Pellegrini, AVB
Exotic FM options : Cocu, De Boer
Meh options : Howe, Karanka, etc...

Please dont mention Emery because he's Barcelona Real calibre of a manager.
And for heavens sake dont mention that ginger weapon who lied to us and pissed on us while he was packing

Right, so, as I said earlier (3 days earlier I think, not sure) - I've been watching most of those on the list cuz I'm a massive nerd and, right now, being perfectly honest, it's not like we're in some amazing form, so I have to kill time before/after our games anyway, as just thinking about us is frustrating :( So here we go, with pictures, and a TL;DR at the end.

Aitor Karanka
Birmingham+City+v+Middlesbrough+Sky+Bet+Championship+WY7cVmxAxtll.jpg
-
bit meh, really. He could be a good option, don't get me wrong, but Championship and Premiership are two different animals, and he's not yet proven at all, and we definitely want a winner, right? If this was 3 years ago - I'd be okay with it, really, but we want better now, right? He's worked with Mourinho in Madrid, but still...

Mark Hughes, Rafael - ...no comment needed... Please no. Not even gonna include pictures ffs!

Jose
Alex-12.jpg

we really can't afford him. I mean, I'd love and hate him here for several reasons - I admire his tactical style, is a reason to like him - but the man is a walking controversy, and a scandal waiting to happen. Should come with the label "Use at own risk"... Transfer dealings are a bit suspect at times, and he ruins EVERY single winger that has ever played for him (except Ronaldo I guess, but he's basically a football god at this point).

Eddie Howe
238EE09700000578-2862867-image-m-13_1417816241092.jpg

improvement over Karanka, but still not convinced he'd be a proven winner type, really. As a difference to Karanka, he's actually won stuff in his managerial career, but it's really too soon, imo, for him to have this step up - yes, I know we're lower than them right now, but that's not my point - defensively they're as bad as us at times really, but they've managed to turn those draws into wins and losses, whereas we've just drawn or lost them... I know he doesn't have the same bunch of players, but he has essentially his own team and, with the current money situation they're not really skint either - 7m for some Welsh lad, 10m for Afobe, etc.. What I'm trying to say is he might not have the required eye for a transfer. I know we'll have the money now as well, but I'd rather we don't spend £20m on some no-mark, like... Plus he said he wants to stay with his love-child at Bournemouth, so...

David Moyes
Manager-David-Moyes-shocked-22806171.jpg

way past his time for us. Simply a "no" here suffices, but - when he came to us, we needed him. He set everything up for safety, then moved slightly up, which was great, but he lacked that final bit of bite and nous. We want progress, not mid-table stability, at least we should want that.

Vitor
2963218A00000578-0-image-a-95_1433545405368.jpg

Judas. @MoutsGoat knows better than me here. Winner and all, everywhere he's been, but the man can't seem to stay at a job for more than 5 seconds, so no. Also Rangers wanted him, and that's always a sign to stay clear. The funny hyperlink here is this image, which pops up when you google "Vitor Pereira" a few pages in. Weird.

Frank de Boer
Frank-de-Boer-Ajax-manager-wants-Premier-League1.jpg

Personally my favourite for the position, I just like him. From a gameplay point of view, I've said it before, but - he sets his teams up according to the opposition, which is something we've tried to do, but failed for several reasons. If they play a game against tougher opposition - he sets up very much for the counter; packed in defence, quick on the break, and might I say very successfully (in the times I've seen them play recently). When they play smaller teams they're instantly on the front foot, but defensively still stable, and seem to enjoy mixing it up a bit by going both direct and shooting from distance, as well as keeping on the ground. Also has Bergkamp and a Dutch former player (defender or GK, not sure) as assistants. Now, numero dos from the lands of fake-Belgium:

Philip Cocu
CSKA-PSV_(5).jpg

Martinez with actual defending is what I'd say, but in his attempts to kill off games by attacking PSV are really, really open to counters, and that seems to be a bit of a problem for them, from my observations at least. Case and point is the game against Ajax from a few weeks ago - PSV went out to attack, Ajax stayed back and waited for the break. Possession - 70% for PSV. Result - 2:0 to Ajax. Plus he looks like he could be the villain from a Disney film, which I can't decide if it's a good or bad thing.

Both are proven winners though, and both have played in Europe plenty, and both have experience in squad building and using the academies in their respective clubs.

Someone who I don't think we'll get, and is probably gonna split opinion here, but I like him anyway:
article-0-1A23C7FA00000578-441_634x398.jpg

Yup, it's AVB. We all know him, the squatting weirdo. Maybe this is why I like him, #SlavSquat after all. Back to the 'serious' side of this though - he was booted from both his jobs in England, but for inconsistent, rather than bad results. He'd get 3-4 wins, then lose 4:0 to Norwich at home or something, then get 3-4 wins... you get the point. He seems to have removed that from his game so far in Russia, even if the odd hiccup still happens, but that happens to anyone really. Proven winner as well, and my worry would be that we'd sign 75 midfielders under the age of 23 or not use the academy fully. Reason he maybe won't come is because he said he and his family want to move to/closer to Portugal, but England's pretty close I guess, plus he's not ruled out a Prem return, according to some papers recently.

TL;DR, because I know most won't even read this wall of text: I'm a bad nerd and watch footy loads. This is a breakdown of managers with my thoughts about it, read about the ones you want here if you like. I've also put some fun hyperlinks cuz why not, but sadly no animals bumming.

When you look at De Boer changing things depending on the opposition what opposition and results are you referring to? As they should be winning every game in their league with their resources.

Cocu on th other hand (and i may be wrong) is playing more attractive attacking possession based football within a tight budget compared to Ajax and could be the league champions again this season in his second year.

For me Cocu is a far superior manager in Europe as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back