Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post, it's seems that Frank might be suited to us but a massive gamble as Holland is a weak league

Eddie howe needs more experience but his signings have been poor when you look at Pearson at Leicester who brought in vardy and mahrez and huth.

Koeman might be good choice as he got premiership experience who brought mane in but could we lure him from Southampton?

Maybe Pellegrini as he got premiership experience, done wonders with Villarreal and Malaga.

So I would go for someone who got premiership experience as Leicester did unless the manager was someone like Simone as you wouldn't need to worry about lack of experience

So ive narrowed it down to these
koeman
Pellegrini
Villas boas

Pellegrini will have a point to prove and might work better with a smaller budget then city. Bought some great players such as Godin, santi cazorla, isco to Malaga, not amazing but good and let's not talk about city signings, had he even made one good signing for city.
He started with 442 at city using two strikers.
He does favour a 4222. My concern is he suited to Spanish football then English football. The more I think about Pellegrino, the more I like
More on pellegrini football
http://www.typicalcity.org/2013/09/...he-engineers-well-constructed-4-2-2-2-system/

Villas boa might struggle with the goodison fans as he once accused the spurs fans of being to negative at home like Martinez does so this is a concern and is like Martinez where he likes two defensive players in the middle and also had bale like Rodgers did with Suarez and win nothing. Plus he also got battered 6 nil by the rs. So I'm ruling this guy out for me.
More about AVB and his football here
http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/07/28/tactical-philosophy-andre-villas-boas/

Koeman
As you see I'm focused on signings as I like my managers to have. a good eye as they have total control of transfers
So his signings for Southampton is
Tadic
Pelle
Caulker
Alderweireld on loan which he wanted to sign
Sadio mane
Shane long
Orilo romeu
Virgil van dijk
Bertrand
Forster

I think he made some top signings in there. He also a name and is a winner. Can this translate over to wining as a manager.
He also like working with young players such as prowse. More on his tyep of football at Southampton
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tations-thanks-to-impressive-tactical-balance

I would make Koeman my number 1
I like Koeman but I'm not sure we'd get him. Ultimately we're a bigger club than Southampton whichever way you look at it. But in this day and age and with the money floating round the premier league there's not much to choose between most of the teams. It might just be that he wouldn't see it as the job for him.

.....there's quite a few quoted, including:

Moyes 2-1; Pellegrini 6-1; Mancini 8-1; Mourinho 12-1; Duncan Ferguson 14-1; Stubbs 16-1; Klinsman 16-; Laudrop 16-1; Howe 25-1; Rijkard 25-1; Hiddink 25-1; Benitez 25-1; Ancelloti 33-1; AVB 33-1; Rodgers 33-1; Redknapp 33-1; Hughes 33-1; Phil Neville 33-1; Fowler 33-1; Hibbert 33-1.
They would have no liability on this market I'd guess. No one would be betting on it really as it is not yet available . Out of interest if you went in and had 100 on say Howe he would then be made favourite as they would think someone know something .

I like Koeman but I'm not sure we'd get him. Ultimately we're a bigger club than Southampton whichever way you look at it. But in this day and age and with the money floating round the premier league there's not much to choose between most of the teams. It might just be that he wouldn't see it as the job for him.

But we don't sell our players like Southampton do

Throw everything at mourinho.

Top salary and guaranteed funds.

Once in a lifetime opportunity.

Not dusty managers like Hughes, Eddie Howe, and co.

Koeman would be a better choice
Can work with younger players
Got a good eye for spotting talent
Not a media whore
Not involved in a messy court case
Premiership experience
Massive name in teh businesse
Good attacking football
Cheaper wages

Can work with younger players - so has Mourinho at other clubs than Chelsea - did it at Cheslea as well - Hazard and Robben where nto exactl veterans when he had them
Got a good eye for spotting talent - check some of the players Mourinho has bought at every single club he has been at
Not a media whore - How is having a manager that is constantly in the press and thus as a club we are raised massively higher in profile a bad thing?
Not involved in a messy court case - fair point
Premiership experience - and Mourinho hasn't? - Mourinho is vastly more experienced and at winning things as well
Massive name in teh businesse - Mourinho is 1000 times the name of Koeman mate
Good attacking football - No argument that saint play good attacking football, but Mourinho gets labelled boring when in fact in 8/10 games they tended to play very attractive football and tonk people, his rep for 'boring defensive' football came from those big games when he tactically set up to stifle the oppnent and more often than not he got the win doing so - which is why he is a winner - rather than an exciting loser
Cheaper wages

2 things that will go against us getting Jose are 1. He'll most likely end up at Utd as they aint pipping City for 4th, and 2. Moshiri will no doubt be taking advice from Kenwright and I don't think Bill would be a fan of Mourinho's don't give a F personality.

I would love us to get him but can't see it so don't get your hopes up. Mancini is the one for me, think he would have us certainly in the top 6 with this squad and a big transfer kitty.

Can work with younger players
Got a good eye for spotting talent
Not a media whore
Not involved in a messy court case
Premiership experience
Massive name in teh businesse
Good attacking football
Cheaper wages

I disagree. He's not pulling up any trees at Southampton, far from it. He changes his system too frequently because he can't seem to make one work and his transfer policy is suspect too. His recorded as a player clouds peoples judgement .

Hi All, have posted in new signings, just thought this would be a good thread to get stuck in with! Lots of names swirling around in my head as to who could/would inherit the job post Martinez. Here are the candidates in my mind

Unai Emery - 2 Europa League wins, going for a 3rd, solid experience in one of the world's top league, hugely admire the intensity of his sides and insistence on effort, lack of English a problem though and could we attract him?

Laurent Blanc - might be an outside possibility if PSG decided on a 'bigger' name and Mourinho had to pursue options outside of the Premier League. (and ended up at PSG). Will have gained great experience at PSG, but was particularly impressed with his time at Bordeaux.

Ronald De Boer - hugely impressive pedigree as a player which will carry weight, would not be against such an appointment, risky in the sense it is difficult to judge his abilities based solely on the Eredivisie.

Phillip Cocu - as above, if it came to a straight choice between De Boer and Cocu for the job, I think Cocu edges it, impressed with PSV in the Champions League, Ajax from what I have seen of them in Champions/Europa League, have been bang average.

José Mourinho - feel like I have to include him on the list though it would at least appear that he is Utd bound. Would guarantee lots of media attention on EFC and such an appointment would signal a huge change in attitude/approach at EFC. Would likely be a short lived season or two appointment but if he delivered silverware it would be absolutely worth the ride. Have to think he would see EFC as a step down though.

Manuel Pellegrini - would be a potentially straightforward, quick appointment of a man well settled here. May be better suited to EFC than MCFC as done brilliantly in the underdog role at Villarreal and Malaga. Worry he may see us as a consolation prize post City or would see us as an excellent opportunity to prove / re-confirm his credentials?

Finally, a "leftfield" candidate, highly unlikely to be considered but including him as I have followed his career and find him an interesting guy;

Leonardo Jardim - performed very solidly at Braga and Sporting Lisbon in Portugal, sacked controversially at Olympiakos, succeeded Ranieri at Monaco, notable away victory at Arsenal in last season's champions league, between Monaco and Lyon for 2nd place in Ligue 1 this season. Again difficult to judge due to the runaway dominance of PSG but has been consistent at Monaco and has been let down by the owner there, with Falcao and James Rodriguez sold without the money being reinvested. Would appeal more to those who prefer solidity and organisation over flair and sexy football, but an upcoming manager worth keeping an eye on.

If I had a magic wand Diego Simeone would be at Goodison, what a manager. If the Semi Final is to be Martinez' watershed and life support is switched off, then both for his sake and the clubs I hope action is taken to remove him in the immediate week afterwards. There is no risk with an interim / caretaker appointment for the remaining games, and we need a successor at the helm as a matter of urgency to deal with / modify pre-season preparations, and handle the huge task of incoming and outgoing transfers. Not saying we make a hasty appointment by any means, but I hope that contingency work in that regard is going on even now, to get the right / best man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back